• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Geo Metro/ Canadian Swift Engine

Who else would like to see the Geo Metro 3 cylinder rather than some exotic junky Eurupean motor

• I would choose the Geo Metro engine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
<snipped> Unfortunately they usually do not have a reverse gear, but I bet you could do that with an electric motor on the rear wheel that you engage separately that acts only as a low speed reverse.
That's kind of what the Honda Goldwing's do; but they engage the starter to spin the flywheel in reverse; how the actually do it, I would have to go digging; but I know it's something close to that.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If someone were to do that, it would have to be a third party since it makes no sense for Elio to do it. If the Metro motor proves as good or better I highly doubt Elio will scrap the IAV motor and try to get the rights and tooling to make new Metro motors. And if the IAV proves better then they just get the ability to say their new design is working as intended. They can say that anyway without spending the money for the comparison once they hit their MPG target.

But I am not seeing the point as to why someone would want to go through that trouble? If the Metro motor proves usable there is still the fact that it is no longer made and someone else owns the rights.

Why not also use try a Smart 1.0L 3 cylinder? It is currently being made at least. I love the Smart conversions that use motorcycle motors, that would be neat to try on an Elio too. The Hayabusa motor makes 197 HP and 102 lb ft of torque! That is before a turbo :)

I agree -- why go through the trouble? Yet given the strength of some of the discussions here, SOMEONE would be willing to try it. After all, IAV might have some 'splainin' to do if either the Metro or the Smart motors outshone them in ANY area. That's why I'm thinking this would be a test for a magazine. Here would be the ultimate proof that all the nay-sayers were right. Here's the chance to show that IAV isn't such a hot shot in engine design. And here is the chance for those wisest among us to demonstrate the foolishness of mere man in attempting to scale the heavens and add their thrones to those of the gods of Detroit, Japan, and Germany.

Besides, it sounds like fun.

MooJuice

Elio Fan
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
At first I kinda felt like they should have used a metro engine too, but I can see Elios point in wanting a new engine that they can call their own. If I recall correctly, I think they said the p4 only made 65 or 70 mpg's with the metro engine they had in it. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) they promised 84 mpg's and their gonna work pretty hard to make sure they hit it. I've done a lot of work on metros and they are by far the easiest car I've ever worked on. Change the timing belt or water pump in about 45 min. A few months ago I pulled the motor out of a 01 metro. It was a 1 owner car and I had done the majority of the work on it for the owner. It had over 450,000 miles on it and still ran fine, and only used around a quart of oil every 2000 miles. He changed oil around every 8000 miles with cheap farm and fleet oil. He had to quit driving it because the rear wheel rusted away from the frame. I put a water pump and 2 timing belts on it otherwise it wasn't opened up. I've also seen metro engines have bad valves at 150,000 so it's kind of luck of the draw. I think the Elio engine has great potential and I'm excited to see how it performs. If nobody thought it was worth it to try making a better engine we would still be struggling with model T engines.. I've got a Ford Fiesta with a 1.0 ecoboost, It's got twice as much power as a metro engine. The mileage on it really varys. High 20s to low 30s in the dead of winter and in the summer anywhere from the mid 30s to the upper 40s depending on wind, temp, speed ect.. I think they would need about a 1/2 liter ecoboost in an Elio if they wanted to go that route.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 10596 View attachment 10596 At first I kinda felt like they should have used a metro engine too, but I can see Elios point in wanting a new engine that they can call their own. If I recall correctly, I think they said the p4 only made 65 or 70 mpg's with the metro engine they had in it. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) they promised 84 mpg's and their gonna work pretty hard to make sure they hit it. I've done a lot of work on metros and they are by far the easiest car I've ever worked on. Change the timing belt or water pump in about 45 min. A few months ago I pulled the motor out of a 01 metro. It was a 1 owner car and I had done the majority of the work on it for the owner. It had over 450,000 miles on it and still ran fine, and only used around a quart of oil every 2000 miles. He changed oil around every 8000 miles with cheap farm and fleet oil. He had to quit driving it because the rear wheel rusted away from the frame. I put a water pump and 2 timing belts on it otherwise it wasn't opened up. I've also seen metro engines have bad valves at 150,000 so it's kind of luck of the draw. I think the Elio engine has great potential and I'm excited to see how it performs. If nobody thought it was worth it to try making a better engine we would still be struggling with model T engines.. I've got a Ford Fiesta with a 1.0 ecoboost, It's got twice as much power as a metro engine. The mileage on it really varys. High 20s to low 30s in the dead of winter and in the summer anywhere from the mid 30s to the upper 40s depending on wind, temp, speed ect.. I think they would need about a 1/2 liter ecoboost in an Elio if they wanted to go that route.

That's impressive! My goal with my gen 1 Elio is to hit 300,000 at least :D

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, here's a thought out of the wild blue: what would happen if you put the IAV engine into a Metro/Swift? Do you think it would move like a JATO-powered Impala?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, here's a thought out of the wild blue: what would happen if you put the IAV engine into a Metro/Swift? Do you think it would move like a JATO-powered Impala?
I think it would probably accellerate a bit faster but lose out on top speed.

But this is just a guess from a young man who knows very little of the science of car engines.

stu ostler

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'm new here and no, I do not have an Elio reserved yet .But , I really wish Elio would use the proven E 10 engine I believe ? (Geo Metro / Suzuki Swift engine) . A more solid, dependable motor can not be had. I have ran these engines for 20 + years now and can't be more impressed. I was disappointed when I saw Chris Fix test driving a Creamcicle Elio on Utube with a Geo Metro 3 cylinder engine installed only to find out Elio did not plan on using the Metro power plant in their actual car when introduced to the public in mid 2016.

The metro engine has the same HP as the Elio's IAV engine but was physically bigger and heavier and produces less torque. Plus the fact that Suzuki was not up to suppling the motor in volume or the price point needed to meet the Elio price goal. Besides IAV make some pretty bass ass stuff

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The metro engine has the same HP as the Elio's IAV engine but was physically bigger and heavier and produces less torque. Plus the fact that Suzuki was not up to supplying the motor in volume or the price point needed to meet the Elio price goal. Besides IAV make some pretty bass ass stuff
I suddenly flashed on that scene in "The Love Bug" when the street racer laughingly challenged Herbie to a race at a stoplight, and how Herbie blew him away.

Top Bottom