• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Cost?

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is a heat exchanger as part of the cooled exhaust gas recirculation system. If isolated coolant fluid or radiatior fluid or similar is not incorporated in the EGR cooler, then I imagine engine oil is circulated through that device to provide the necessary cooling.

That might explain both the higher volume/quantity of oil in circulation and perhaps the presence of an oil cooler?

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've worked on enough air cooled engines. 2/3 of the cooling is actually through the oil cooler.
(Auto and airplane engines)

Liquid cooled engines rarely need an oil cooler unless it's very high performance.

I can't imagine the Elio requiring an oil cooler.
I'd also like confirmation of the 6qt capacity. It seems a bit high.
I agree you are correct in your cooling statements. The only good reason I can see for the extra oil is the one given regarding the fiero. The oil was a little tough to check on that car and some ignored it too much. The Elio will not have that problem.

Until Paul delivers the goods, all we can do to pass the time is to speculate on the details and keep cheering him on. Go Elio!!

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is a heat exchanger as part of the cooled exhaust gas recirculation system. If isolated coolant fluid or radiatior fluid or similar is not incorporated in the EGR cooler, then I imagine engine oil is circulated through that device to provide the necessary cooling.

That might explain both the higher volume/quantity of oil in circulation and perhaps the presence of an oil cooler?
Good observation on the heat exchanger. We may get to the bottom of this yet.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I too find it hard to believe that the E would have a 6 qt capacity. .....
My 1L smart holds just over 3 qt ....I change it every 5K and have over 120K on the clock :D
is your smart running a high-compression engine? 6 quarts seems high to me, too, but we can be certain EM isn't doing it for amusements' sake. I suspect Raptor has it right.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm. Possibly, longer stroke = better "splash" oiling for the cylinder walls? Extra oil = plentiful reservoir??

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As far as using an "oil cooled EGR system" goes. That is something used on a lot of diesel engines.
Lots of problems and expensive maintenance.
Reason to use? "It has been shown to produce a 2-5% increase in mpg."
I've never seen that system on a std. gasoline engine.

Willie

FeuersteinShawn

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I re-lisened to this week's presentation by Paul Elio. He confirmed something -- that the Elio has a built-in gross margin of 23%, which is about $1,000 per car. Take that out of 7,300 and you get 6,300. If the engine is 10% of the cost (which is normal for the industry), that means the engine costs $630 or so, and should sell for about $800 or so. They'll mark that up for replacement engines, so figure $1,000 to $1,200. Not too bad!

I wish I knew what Linamar thinks they can build the engines for. Kind of a key number both for the success of the overseas market, and for Elio's actual profitability. It should cost Linamar $400 - 500, which is AMAZINGLY cheap -- they must be confident they can really churn those puppies out.
So the price of a Honda engine.. Not bad .. But not great

Top Bottom