• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Cost?

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As far as oil capacity, I see no reason to have a 6 qt. capacity on a 1 liter engine.

Agreed. It makes no sense at all unless the oiling system makes up a significant portion of the cooling system (think old Porsches).

An inline-3 will have a very short oil pan, so the only ways to accommodate 6 quarts are to make it deeper (tall engine, messed up aerodynamics) or use a dry sump oiling system. The Elio engine does not look like it's set up for a dry sump.

Or you could mount the engine on a angle like an old Chrysler slant-6. They were very long stroke engines and were flopped over at 30 degrees or so to fit under the hood. Not needed here with only 900cc displacement.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As far as oil capacity, I see no reason to have a 6 qt. capacity on a 1 liter engine. My Gi Insight has a 2.9 qt. capacity and I did at one time monitor the oil temp. It seemed to run around 174F at the max., IIRR, using 0-30 Mobile 1 sync. oil. (It calls for 0-20, but I run 0-30 because of the turbo.)
I've seen Insight engines apart and see no indicatio of any oil scoring from overheating. The normal water temp. is usually in the 197-204 range.
(My opinion)
Willie

In addition to cooling, maybe the quantity is to protect against stupid. The Fiero had less than 4 quarts of oil in its engine and it was fine, well at least until inattentive owners allowed it to drop a bit and then the motor burst, threw oil all over, and caught fire (fire arrow was the common refrain).

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is the place still to have Elio assemble the engine? I mean, is Linamar just going to cast the blocks?
I believe they're doing the whole engine assembly. If an agreement is reached. Actually it makes a whole lot of sense in terms of reducing the start-up cost. Tons and tons of expensive tooling they don't have to build.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I doubt the oil cooler: cost!

It is also possible that a separate oil cooler is not needed and counter productive.
The oil temps MUST (regularly) be higher that the boiling point of water (212 degrees F). If not, the water (condensation pulled from the air) will "mix" with the oil and form acids that break down the oil. A foamy sludge that looks kind of like "Latte" on your dipstick. :rip:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is also possible that a separate oil cooler is not needed and counter productive.
The oil temps MUST (regularly) be higher that the boiling point of water (212 degrees F). If not, the water (condensation pulled from the air) will "mix" with the oil and form acids that break down the oil. A foamy sludge that looks kind of like "Latte" on your dipstick. :rip:
Good description... and accurate. That is one of the first things I look for on a used car.

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
6 quarts? I never knew that. I wonder if they have an oil cooler; that would remove some of it from the pan.
I have been looking in other blogs to confirm the oil capacity. The discusion was about changing oil and I mentioned that changing oil often shouldn't be a problem with only 3 quarts or so and he said it was much larger in the 5 to 6 quart range for added cooling. I would like to verify the sump size. There is also a heat exchanger under the filter. An IAV engineer mentioned it in a video as part of the modified the system. That will carry some oil volume too. At the next stop, see if that question can be asked. Maybe a combined list can be assembled and then we can get them all answered.

Coss are you collecting a list? Things like tire size has been answered, disk brake in the rear?, Speaker placement, yellow paint option, cup holders, current weight, floor pan, was composite, now steel per my question in SLC, exhaust bulge is non functional in p5, tailpipe exits out the back, the optional automatic transmission is not CVT, but an electric shift manual with no torque converter?, Nose is impact absorbing plastic, door skins are steel, roof is steel, hood and firewall forward are steel, fenders are composite, no running or signal lights on the fenders.

Getting closer I hope. Go Elio!!

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been looking in other blogs to confirm the oil capacity. The discusion was about changing oil and I mentioned that changing oil often shouldn't be a problem with only 3 quarts or so and he said it was much larger in the 5 to 6 quart range for added cooling. I would like to verify the sump size. There is also a heat exchanger under the filter. An IAV engineer mentioned it in a video as part of the modified the system. That will carry some oil volume too. At the next stop, see if that question can be asked. Maybe a combined list can be assembled and then we can get them all answered.

Coss are you collecting a list? Things like tire size has been answered, disk brake in the rear?, Speaker placement, yellow paint option, cup holders, current weight, floor pan, was composite, now steel per my question in SLC, exhaust bulge is non functional in p5, tailpipe exits out the back, the optional automatic transmission is not CVT, but an electric shift manual with no torque converter?, Nose is impact absorbing plastic, door skins are steel, roof is steel, hood and firewall forward are steel, fenders are composite, no running or signal lights on the fenders.

Getting closer I hope. Go Elio!!
Why would I be collecting a list? The tour has 0 stops scheduled for this area anytime soon.

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why would I be collecting a list? The tour has 0 stops scheduled for this area anytime soon.
Just wondering. They didn't have a stop scheduled for SLC until the day before they got there. I don't know if the forum members can post questions that they would like asked, then if they had a list to read from they wouldn't be like me and forget to ask them when they see the car/ er autocycle. Maybe a thread just for questions, no opinions? As a moderator you might have some good ideas for the list due to your familiarity with the forum and your position. I don't mean to be handing out assignments. IMG_20160718_151402325_HDR.jpg

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Just wondering. They didn't have a stop scheduled for SLC until the day before they got there. I don't know if the forum members can post questions that they would like asked, then if they had a list to read from they wouldn't be like me and forget to ask them when they see the car/ er autocycle. Maybe a thread just for questions, no opinions? As a moderator you might have some good ideas for the list due to your familiarity with the forum and your position. I don't mean to be handing out assignments.View attachment 11364
Uhh Huh ....:cool:
I like the idea for a thread; let me see what I can come up with.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've worked on enough air cooled engines. 2/3 of the cooling is actually through the oil cooler.
(Auto and airplane engines)

Liquid cooled engines rarely need an oil cooler unless it's very high performance.

I can't imagine the Elio requiring an oil cooler.
I'd also like confirmation of the 6qt capacity. It seems a bit high.

Top Bottom