• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Price Discussion, $6800?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A traditional hood opens forward, requiring two latches. If the first latch fails, the second latch keeps the hood from popping up and blocking the driver’s sight line. But, a second latch means more equipment and adds more than $20.00 to vehicle cost. On an Elio, the hood is engineered to open the other way. If the latch fails, the wind will blow the hood down rather than up, so a redundant latch is not required. The Elio latch costs just $3.00. Hundreds of these cost-saving designs add up to … or more accurately, it adds down… to $6.800.

I don't know if attention to the hood latch pins used by EM have been noted or not .... today at their display in Charlotte I saw them and don't recall seeing a picture showing them in detail .... as noted the hood is hinged in the front and in the first picture they can be placed so that there is a pin near the windshield on each side .... one can be seen on the hood near the windshield wiper .... the second picture is a closeup .... I do find it interesting to note the difference in the vehicle's color in the two photographs

Jim

Jim
141206 003 Jim & Maureen Elio 003.jpg
141206 002 hood pin 002.jpg

Last edited:

Mrtoycrazy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if attention to the hood latch pins used by EM have been noted or not .... today at their display in Charlotte I saw them and don't recall seeing a picture showing them in detail .... as noted the hood is hinged in the front and in the first picture they can be placed so that there is a pin near the windshield on each side .... one can be seen on the hood near the windshield wiper .... the second picture is a closeup .... I do find it interesting to note the difference in the vehicle's color in the two photographs

Jim

JimView attachment 3739 View attachment 3740
The first picture is closer to actual color, is it not? Having not seen the E in person.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The first picture is closer to actual color, is it not? Having not seen the E in person.

that's the way it seemed to me .... I walked around so as to be able to look at the P4 from every angle and the color remained constant .... that wasn't true for the way the color comes through in pictures taken at different angles and distances

Jim

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
time will tell

Jim
From the Elio website:

Nothing is Too Small for Engineering Innovation

A traditional hood opens forward, requiring two latches. If the first latch fails, the second latch keeps the hood from popping up and blocking the driver’s sight line. But, a second latch means more equipment and adds more than $20.00 to vehicle cost. On an Elio, the hood is engineered to open the other way. If the latch fails, the wind will blow the hood down rather than up, so a redundant latch is not required. The Elio latch costs just $3.00. Hundreds of these cost-saving designs add up to … or more accurately, it adds down… to $6.800.​

Seems pretty clear to me.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
that's the way it seemed to me .... I walked around so as to be able to look at the P4 from every angle and the color remained constant .... that wasn't true for the way the color comes through in pictures taken at different angles and distances

Jim

The ambient lighting affects color temperature (as your camera records it) something fierce. Cloudy weather makes the orange Elio look pretty muddy, and so does fluorescent lighting. Our eyes compensate for this, but the camera generally doesn't compensate very well. The top picture is in fact closer to what we see when we look at an Elio -- and it's not Jim's fault that the lower picture looks muddy.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
those pins are known as latch pins .... needless to say for $3 whatever they use can't be very complex .... to me it doesn't matter if they are used or if they use something else,

Jim

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The top picture is in fact closer to what we see when we look at an Elio -- and it's not Jim's fault that the lower picture looks muddy.

after a few minutes of trying to teach me how to use my camera, the clerk turned the selector knob to "Auto" and told me to leave it there ..
baghead.gif

Jim

Top Bottom