• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Delay To 2017 And Beyond

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought I had heard every thing! I've got an old friend (we'll call him Joe) who has been deep into sports cars all his life and is a "very" sharp guy. He also is the type who can find the downside in every thing. I mentioned I had bought into the Elio and what came next was a lecture on all the problems Elio will have and what a sucker I am. You have all heard the usual reasons so no need to go in to that. But, he came up with a new one.

It seems that after the cars are actually built we are going to have to pay a sky high delivery charge. The reason is there is a union for the guys who drive the transporters and this union is like the mafia. They are going to take advantage of a new company and screw us all to the wall. According to Joe there is absolutely no way to get delivery without the transporters union; they are stronger than GM,Ford, etc. They will hold up shipments until they get the contract they want and it's going to cost us all dearly.

Now, I know nothing about this and am just mentioning it because I thought you all might find it interesting. Anyone have any hard info?

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought I had heard every thing! I've got an old friend (we'll call him Joe) who has been deep into sports cars all his life and is a "very" sharp guy. He also is the type who can find the downside in every thing. I mentioned I had bought into the Elio and what came next was a lecture on all the problems Elio will have and what a sucker I am. You have all heard the usual reasons so no need to go in to that. But, he came up with a new one.

It seems that after the cars are actually built we are going to have to pay a sky high delivery charge. The reason is there is a union for the guys who drive the transporters and this union is like the mafia. They are going to take advantage of a new company and screw us all to the wall. According to Joe there is absolutely no way to get delivery without the transporters union; they are stronger than GM,Ford, etc. They will hold up shipments until they get the contract they want and it's going to cost us all dearly.

Now, I know nothing about this and am just mentioning it because I thought you all might find it interesting. Anyone have any hard info?
Might be another case of it not being a "car", they might be able to circumvent the transport union and just use private contractors.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Look, the EM management team has been around the car biz for something like 150 years or more total experience. No way is something that basic going to fall through the cracks or remain unaddressed. They may have to negotiate with a union -- AFL-CIO most likely -- but that will all have been thought through and well under way by now, IF it's true. I am not going to lose any sleep over this one.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me pop in here for a minute; it has already been stated that the company that is running the marshaling centers is also handling the transport.
This is not a "new to the market" or some "last minute we can do that" company but a well established very large company. The Elio people were not at liberty to say who they were because of a confidentially agreement they have with Elio (they didn't want a flood of people applying for jobs in the marshaling centers etc.).
So your friend "Joe" doesn't know what they have in place already; he's making assumptions based in the past and "how it used to be done".

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I asked the why not join forces with a major National/International Car Rental/Sales partner question a long time ago and contract Elio Store Space (Kiosks) staffed by EM sales reps. (Enterprise/Elio). It would also provide an excellent opportunity for Fleet/Rental sales! The response was "it's a little too early to discuss it". I sensed they were actually considering such a partnership. That partnering startegy would provide for the most efficient, cost effective Elio Store location roll out with locations in nearly every City across the USA.
I also sense that EM has their Delivery Partner lined up as well and doubt customers will be ripped with overcharges like we see with the NADA's Delivery & Dealer Prep. Charges listed on the window sticker.

Deborah McAteer

Elio Fan
Reaction score

I do not know anything about the union or their tactics, but Elio Motors has already indicated that we will be able to pick them up at the plant at least during the first year, and I plan to do that. I have seen where many reservationists are really looking forward to various road trips in their Elios on their way home.

Deborah McAteer

Elio Fan
Reaction score

I copied and pasted this onto the EMOA site, where I know a few truckers. "Hogwash"

Hob

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recall Elio saying that shipping was going to be at cost and not a profit center like other manufactures do.
Anyone else remember that?
Yes.. Don't remember exactly where though. I also recall that there would be grouped delivers arranged to major owner locations.

Top Bottom