• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Delay To 2017 And Beyond

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My friend tried that and gave up out of frustration. He was always stuck behind slow moving RVs and couldn't pass.

Now that you mention it, makes me wonder what kind of passing power this thing is gonna have.

But yeah, I been on that stretch of road before and not being able to see very far ahead, slow moving vehicles, etc is a pain. We'll see when the time comes. Maybe I'll go for a short route. Like San Francisco to Eureka or something.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now that you mention it, makes me wonder what kind of passing power this thing is gonna have.

But yeah, I been on that stretch of road before and not being able to see very far ahead, slow moving vehicles, etc is a pain. We'll see when the time comes. Maybe I'll go for a short route. Like San Francisco to Eureka or something.
Should be OK with the 2-step cam lobes. If not -- get the turbo!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I asked the why not join forces with a major National/International Car Rental/Sales partner question a long time ago and contract Elio Store Space (Kiosks) staffed by EM sales reps. (Enterprise/Elio). It would also provide an excellent opportunity for Fleet/Rental sales! The response was "it's a little too early to discuss it". I sensed they were actually considering such a partnership. That partnering startegy would provide for the most efficient, cost effective Elio Store location roll out with locations in nearly every City across the USA.
I also sense that EM has their Delivery Partner lined up as well and doubt customers will be ripped with overcharges like we see with the NADA's Delivery & Dealer Prep. Charges listed on the window sticker.
Hope you're right. It would be nice to know who their delivery partner is. Can't see what makes that top-secret information.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I recall Elio saying that shipping was going to be at cost and not a profit center like other manufactures do.
Anyone else remember that?
Fraid not. I remember Jerome saying that delivery would have a fee, probably around $400 or so. But that was a year ago, and maybe things have changed.

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Should be OK with the 2-step cam lobes. If not -- get the turbo!

Hopefully I'll be able to test drive both a trubo Elio and a non turbo Elio. At this point, MPG is the most important to me, but if they put in a tiny turbo that only takes off a few MPGs, I'll go with it. But if it brings it down even to the low 70s, I may pass. Not sure yet.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unions in trucking are almost completely gone. They were one of the first industries to really go against unions. There may still be some union car haulers, but all the major freight companies are non union.

Why even worry about car haulers that aren't set up for 3 wheelers anyway? With some tail to tail overlap, 6 to maybe 8 Elios will fit on a flatbed or in a standard dry van.

Heck, once the regional centers are set up, transport racks (that fold for return) might get as many as a dozen Es into a van
I'd like to see how you'd load 6 Elios on a standard, enclosed semi bed. The maximum inside width of a standard "wedge" trailer is 99 inches. The inside height is 110 inches at the read and 109 at the front. Length varies from 45 to 53 feet. The width of the doors is 93 inches.

Each Elio is a trapezoidal solid with the following dimensions: Overall Length: 160.5″
Overall Height: 54.2″

Front Wheel Track: 66.8″ (let's assume that's the widest part, ignoring the wheel covers which make the width actually a couple of inches wider)
(center rim to center rim)

I don't know the body width at the rear but it can't be less than 30 inches.

So: how many Elios can dance on the floor of a truck? You can't stack them, they're too tall. Taking the largest trailer, 53 feet, you have room for three Elios -- actually 3.975, but sorry, you can't squeeze that extra little bit in unless you were tail-to-tail as you suggest. But even so, my guess is that the max load on the longest trailer is only 4 Elios. To really answer this, you'd need to know how quickly the rear quarter of the car tapers down to minimum width, because that gives you the amount of overlap you could have. Maybe you or one of our good gear head guys could really work this out accurately, but I'm willing to bet 5 would be the absolute upper limit, and that's pretty unlikely. 4 is the probable upper limit.

Don't forget, you have to have working room to secure the vehicle in the trailer and then get in the thing to unload them. If they're overlapped, that might be hard to manage.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to see how you'd load 6 Elios on a standard, enclosed semi bed. The maximum inside width of a standard "wedge" trailer is 99 inches. The inside height is 110 inches at the read and 109 at the front. Length varies from 45 to 53 feet. The width of the doors is 93 inches.

Each Elio is a trapezoidal solid with the following dimensions: Overall Length: 160.5″

Front Wheel Track: 66.8″ (let's assume that's the widest part, ignoring the wheel covers which make the width actually a couple of inches wider)

So: how many Elios can dance on the floor of a truck? You can't stack them, they're too tall. Taking the largest trailer, 53 feet, you have room for three Elios -- actually 3.975, but sorry, you can't squeeze that extra little bit in unless you were tail-to-tail as you suggest. But even so, my guess is that the max load on the longest trailer is only 4 Elios. To really answer this, you'd need to know how quickly the rear quarter of the car tapers down to minimum width, because that gives you the amount of overlap you could have. Maybe you or one of our good gear head guys could really work this out accurately, but I'm willing to bet 5 would be the absolute upper limit, and that's pretty unlikely. 4 is the probable upper limit.

Don't forget, you have to have working room to secure the vehicle in the trailer and then get in the thing to unload them. If they're overlapped, that might be hard to manage.
That's why we leave transport up to the pros they have already signed with EM (I posted this in a different thread); if they're going to move it, I'm sure they have it worked out how they're doing it.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fraid not. I remember Jerome saying that delivery would have a fee, probably around $400 or so. But that was a year ago, and maybe things have changed.
Jerome did state a flat fee but WilliamH is correct also. The ship fee will not be at a profit for Elio. They were talking a flat rate for all Elio owners. This means that some would pay more and others less. Sort of like socialized health care. They were also talking just charging what it actually cost. It will not be at a profit either way.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I'll concede 4 flat on the floor. 5 is close, and might go with actual dimensions that we don't have.

My Elio "fleet", 6' wide the 1st 3 feet, then tapering from 4' down to 3' at the back.

e6ef9bafef93757d277bad424d601f71.jpg

1st 3 loaded - 8x53 " trailer"

86a577e8aed3dcacca38d17593edbfc7.jpg

A little game of hopscotch, and my estimates are off:

571b31e89328a709d7997a9eeae5e0b2.jpg

With palletizing 2 side by side without front wheels, 6 would work easy. Wheels removed MIGHT make 2 high stacks possible.

Give a trucker a per unit price to haul, and he'll quickly figure out how to get max revenue on the back.

Entertaining to think about at this point, and maybe enough to buy a "hot shot" rig and make some Elio $ if the market is there when production starts. I liked driving, just hated a lot of the other stuff (shippers, dispatchers, etc.)

Top Bottom