• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Custom Paint Options

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The body material is indeed similar to that used on modern Corvettes however the paint is actually more of a baked on powder coating than traditional wet paint or gelcoat.

GM actually used both this material and this paint process in the Shreveport plant so the plant already has the equipment to stamp and 'paint' it. DWR's post above also has the link to the thread where this is discussed: http://www.elioowners.com/threads/paint-process.1406/

By the way this material can also be painted using traditional wet painting method. The paint shops should know how to mix in an extra material which makes the paint and clear coat at bit more elastic to allow for the extra flex in this type of panel.

Larryrc1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Why don't you just wrap it reflective tape and put a Coleman camping lantern on top,that way they don't what the hell is at all!:eek::D

Tao

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I plan on starting with their orange, and adding accents, racing stripes, and whatever else with PlastiDip spray. It protects the factory paint, and when you want something different it peels right off.

I'm also considering spraying the whole orange car with red/orange pearl or flake suspended in clear. https://www.dipyourcar.com/Dip-Pearls/

Larryrc1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I plan on starting with their orange, and adding accents, racing stripes, and whatever else with PlastiDip spray. It protects the factory paint, and when you want something different it peels right off.

I'm also considering spraying the whole orange car with red/orange pearl or flake suspended in clear. https://www.dipyourcar.com/Dip-Pearls/
Yeah , what he said;)

Larryrc1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
:rolleyes:What I continue to wonder though is why Elio did not put a back window in the car. I know it may not bother alot of people because they are comfortable with just using the side mirrors , but me for instance prefer all three ways to watch the world around me ,plus I think that it might inhance the rear of the car. SOOOOO! thats another thing my brain is wrapped around trying to come up with a after market(custom) addition kind of like the early VW bettle that had the split oval in the back even one that amy possibly slide into the rear of the car electrically, HMMMMMMMMM!

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
:rolleyes:What I continue to wonder though is why Elio did not put a back window in the car. I know it may not bother alot of people because they are comfortable with just using the side mirrors , but me for instance prefer all three ways to watch the world around me ,plus I think that it might inhance the rear of the car. SOOOOO! thats another thing my brain is wrapped around trying to come up with a after market(custom) addition kind of like the early VW bettle that had the split oval in the back even one that amy possibly slide into the rear of the car electrically, HMMMMMMMMM!
Cost vs no real necessity = no window

Anything to help make the $6800 price point.

Anything is possible in the aftermarket. A simple back (door / trunk lid?) replacement option should be easy.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

We have a whole thread about this:

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/no-rear-window-rear-view-camera.122/

Just a quick summary of what you will find in that thread is that Elio Motors made the decision to save money by leaving it out because the rear seat completely blocks any rear window and even if the seat is down you could not see the windows from the drivers seat as your head, and the headrest, will block the view. If you do choose to add a rear window, purely for cosmetic reasons, there is actually a downside as the trunk would no longer be secure at all as anyone who walks by will be able to everything inside the trunk.

The useless rear window can be hard for many people to understand however as a demonstration simply find a vehicle which has a mirror in the flip down sunshade and try to use it to see straight behind you. You will quickly discover that there is a good reason why these are called vanity mirrors and not auxiliary rear view mirrors.:D

For those people who absolutely can't live without the rear view mirror Elio Motors has told us there will be a back-up camera option. However I seriously recommend everyone sit in one of the prototypes first as the view from the side mirrors, and lack of rear blind spot will surprise people. What everyone must consider is that the side mirrors on the Elio are about half as close as they are in a normal car which completely changes how they function in terms of view to the rear and blind spots.

Top Bottom