• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

As I See It, Gloves Off...

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have to agree with W. Willie on some of the 'suspect' looking areas, but pretty clean for the year. The one thing I learned with all my '70's Porsches is that there's certain areas that are prone to rust that require MAJOR metal replacement to make them roadworthy. I think I'd better get my 'collection' going before I attempt to convince the wife that another 'project' is a good idea. ;):D
I am going to leave my collection as it is and not expand it any more.
My get-up-and-go has got-up-and-went.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I currently have an Opel GT. When I rebuilt the engine, the top compression ring of every cylinder was broken. One cylinder had both compression rings broken. (?) I like it.

An Opel GT is what you get if you run a Corvette through a car wash using hot water.
You know how hot water makes everything shrink.

I'd love to see your collection! I know you mentioned you have a 914, and CA cars are the way to go if you want minimum rust...Just guessing. You're not married, are you. ;):D

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd love to see your collection! I know you mentioned you have a 914, and CA cars are the way to go if you want minimum rust...Just guessing. You're not married, are you. ;):D
I have two 914s. One is increased to 1910 with dual weber 40IDFs and has the appropriate jetting recommended by Redline (American distributors for Webers) It has very good power.

The other 914 has the standard engine, 1.7L, with a weber 32/36 progressive. I may change it to the same engine configuration as the other.

To settle a debt, a friend may give me a 914 with a well built Buick V6 engine.

Southern California cars that have been in southern California their entire life have very little rust. However, there are plenty of cars in southern California that arrived here from elsewhere, like my Corvair from Minnesota. It has lots of rust.

No, I am not married. The toilet seat always stays up in my house.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bet it'll still be better than the Opel my father had back in the 70's.
I have an Opel that was sold under Saturn. It is the Astra. Opel of Germany is owned by GM.

opel-astra-07.jpg

http://www.opel.com/vehicles/index.html

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had an sunburst yellow Opel GT and really enjoyed it .... literally drove it from the right to left coast and down in to Mexico .... mine was a great little car

Top Bottom