• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone Else Think It Wont Happen?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
That is my biggest concern at this point. The engine design, being basically complete with a running example, has substancial value and could likely be used in other light weight cars. Maybe a revenue source could be to sell complete engines to another company??????
Anyway, I too think the design is good enough and the premiss sound. If the funding does not materilize for Elio, someone will "buy it up" and produce it. I will probably still get one (as long as it's not overly compromized) , but the thing that really attracted me to the project was the chance for an engineer to show the "big guys" how to do it! None of the auto companies can do it for anywhere near 6800$ due to their overhead. Sure would be nice for one of the "big mouth" environmental proponents to put their money where their mouth is and fund Elio! Just cause it's not electric dosen't make it any less a game changer to the good!

Where is Al Gore when you need him? Has anyone seen him lately? :D

Edward43

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Entitlement" is the right word, unfortunately. For some reason, some people think that, having made the $1000 all-in reservation, they are now members of Elio's board of directors. Having been involved with numerous start-up's, its always the guy with the least money at risk that causes the most problems and makes the most noise. Given that $1K is a material amount of money for some people, they ought not have put it at risk if they could not afford to lose it. I'd hate to lose it, but it won't impact my life if I do (except it will piss-off my wife to no end). We bought the right to buy a product at a discount when, as and if produced. That's all--the right to buy a possible future product and get the 50% bonus on the down payment. We didn't buy stock or make an "investment." Sort of like Indigogo, just a little more cash. The thing to do now is take a deep breath (and maybe a cold shower) and get over it. I still think Elio will produce the vehicle. I think (based on my own research and not from any inside information) Elio is a good candidate for the AVTM loan guarantee and we will get information when the DOE makes a determination and not before. When Elio meets its capital needs, it will start production. Now, they get the prototype out and drum up investment, partners and business. I went through the same thing for a computer peripheral company started by 2 buys making circuit boards in their basement. Now, 15 years later, they have 300 employees and sell millions of dollars of high value products all over the world. To accomplish this, it took years to get the money, find a location, refine prototypes, begin producing final products and market them. They almost went out of business several times before they succeeded. That, my friends, is how this works.
This project is soooo late coming, it will happen I guarantee it. We all would love to be able to throw together a vehicle like this in our garage the way the Wright Bros. did, and zip down the road thumbing our noses at all those folks who just don't get it but,--- we live in a very regressive system that makes it very difficult to do this because of fear, that seems to dominate every waking moment. Fear of losing credibility, family, friends, money, time, confidence, the spouse, the race, liability. That is why we need a little more courage from time to time which, (unfortunately), does'nt float to the top like like all this lazy b-tching does. I am not a spring chicken, and I have seen a lot of stuff floatin-around until we have an upside down pyramid that squashes every drop of optimism, creativity, and beauty that exists. So, keep the faith. Paul Elio and team have gambled on the end-roun approach which I pray does the job. If this team fails, another will make it because this project is bustin at the seams, and will not wait forever. Our government leaders lack experience, and wisdom, and are scrambling to find the key to the barn door.

Last edited:

Edward43

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's HILARIOUS! And the real funny thing is that it would work just as well, if not better, today! That REALLY underscores my stance on the dangers of 'voting while ignorant', or VWI.
Regarding the other point, being essentially the old adage that the 'pen is mightier than the sword', I agree that there is SOME merit to the concept, but also firmly believe that no staunch advocate has ever tried it in actual combat.
Can the printed word have weight? Sure. But I don't tend to credit our little forum here with much grandiose world-changing capacity. Not to belittle anyone here by any means, I think it's a great forum for fun discussions, but in the end we are just endlessly discussing a car that has yet to be built and will likely be delayed yet another year. But that gives us plenty of time to freely get sidetracked.
Please----no texting, and sidetracking, focus..

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully it will not come to this however I do believe that a sale of Elio Motors, or its assets including intellectual property, would be forced on Paul Elio by his investors if it becomes apparent to them that Elio Motors is going to lose control of the plant because they do not have production funding in place.

This indeed would the be the natural and expected course of events should an inability to secure funding on terms compatible with execution of Paul's vision come to pass.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it will come to this as I have stated previously. There is value in what Elio Motors has accomplished, and value in an open marketplace is like mass in physics - it can be changed but cannot be destroyed except by exceptional means. The difference in my view is the terms under which Paul would cede control if funding remains an issue

There are three general possibilities. First, Elio Motors takes investors under terms that permit Paul to retain majority control, in which case (the one we all hope for), he gets to continue to call all his own shots. Second, Elio Motors is forced to take investors under terms that dilute his or his allies stake to minority status, in which case there will be a cat fight about vision. Under this, the frankly most likely scenario, some of Paul's vision might be retained, but a higher price point, design compromises, and other unsavory changes are possible or even likely. Third, Elio Motors cannot obtain sufficient funds to commence production on any terms, in which case they go into receivership of some kind, selling assets to pay debts. This could mean that another party buys Elio Motor's assets entirely and puts it into production under another nameplate (I call this the Ford option).

Top Bottom