• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone Else Think It Wont Happen?

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I actually do have a high % of trust in the politicians I voted for when it comes to their support of a USA made, high mpg, concept vehicle like the Elio and the jobs and economy boost it would provide. I don't pull a Party lever to vote and don't care much for politics these days, but it is what it is. It's a point of view for what it's worth.

It's unlikely there would ever be enough signatures on an Elio petition to interest or concern politicians, but only heads up the opponent/opponents that think Elio sales may threaten NADA's new and more importantly used car sales. Dealers may make as much on used car sales as new. How many people are dumping their used second vehicle for a brand new Elio? Most will certainly buy a new Elio commuter over a used vehicle.

And there wouldn't be a ridiculous used vehicle market for an Elio in five years? Try getting a stock1985 XR600 in running condition for less than grand, let alone a BMW R75 - they're both basically more expensive now than when they were new.
IMG_4339.jpg

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
an Elio appeals to a very small segment of the market .... folks looking a used or new vehicle to haul a family, pull a camper, haul even moderate loads, etc aren't in the market for an Elio .... I just don't see the issue but then I've been wrong before

Having been briefly in car sales I can attest that
dealers typically make $800 p/unit or less even with
factory spifs. New cars are all about options, service
& parts. They do make a lot (Typ. $3,000) per used
car if traded right.......so anything that threatens that
segment will get their attention.............:)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
an Elio appeals to a very small segment of the market .... folks looking a used or new vehicle to haul a family, pull a camper, haul even moderate loads, etc aren't in the market for an Elio .... I just don't see the issue but then I've been wrong before
The largest single market for the Elio is the commuter market, which was/is the primary focus and reason behind the 2 seater Elio concept.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I could see how retired folks would think that, but to get a taste of even a small piece of the potential market for an Elio, take a drive down any major highway during rush hour. There's an INSANE amount of vehicles on the road, and seeing a vehicle with more than one person in it, is as rare as seeing somebody driving down the highway that's not on their cellphone [it's like a Bigfoot sighting...rare, and anecdotal]. I personally think the market for the Elio would be HUGE once they're on the road and have their presence known...IMHO.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And there wouldn't be a ridiculous used vehicle market for an Elio in five years? Try getting a stock1985 XR600 in running condition for less than grand, let alone a BMW R75 - they're both basically more expensive now than when they were new.
View attachment 4525
It would be interesting to see what a used Elio market looks like in 5 years. I think in five years you may drive your old used Elio to the local Elio Store, they strip some parts, drop it into the Elio crusher to be recycled, and sell you a new Elio.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what a used Elio market looks like in 5 years. I think in five years you may drive your old used Elio to the local Elio Store, they strip some parts, drop it into the Elio crusher to be recycled, and sell you a new Elio.
Personally I'm looking forward to having an affordable/safe vehicle my son and I can totally pimp out for his first "car" like a lot of guys did a generation or so ago. I think there was a lot of creativity and learning how stuff works, and how to make it better that came out of that. I could see my kid someday 3D printing some new air spoiler for an Elio.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I could see how retired folks would think that, but to get a taste of even a small piece of the potential market for an Elio, take a drive down any major highway during rush hour. There's an INSANE amount of vehicles on the road, and seeing a vehicle with more than one person in it, is as rare as seeing somebody driving down the highway that's not on their cellphone [it's like a Bigfoot sighting...rare, and anecdotal]. I personally think the market for the Elio would be HUGE once their on the road and have their presence known...IMHO.

agree .... I'm not saying that EM won't have a large following because they certainly will .... the price alone will contribute strongly to that .... over time their market should expand as more and more hit the road and more folks become familiar with them .... I do believe that EM's production will constitute a small segment of units sold in this country and world wide

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
agree .... I'm not saying that EM won't have a large following because they certainly will .... the price alone will contribute strongly to that .... over time their market should expand as more and more hit the road and more folks become familiar with them .... I do believe that EM's production will constitute a small segment of units sold in this country and world wide

Even @ Paul's projected full production rate of 240,000 p/yr Elio will be a small but valuable player
for many of the reasons we all know...........................:)
http://www.nada.org/Publications/NADADATA/
Light-vehicle sales for 2014 amounted to 16.4 million units, up 5.8 percent from 2013, making 2014 the year with the highest sales since 2006, when 16.5 million units were sold. The Seasonally Adjusted Annual Rate* (SAAR) for light-vehicle sales in December 2014 was 16.8 million.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I could see how retired folks would think that, but to get a taste of even a small piece of the potential market for an Elio, take a drive down any major highway during rush hour. There's an INSANE amount of vehicles on the road, and seeing a vehicle with more than one person in it, is as rare as seeing somebody driving down the highway that's not on their cellphone [it's like a Bigfoot sighting...rare, and anecdotal]. I personally think the market for the Elio would be HUGE once they're on the road and have their presence known...IMHO.

I agree! We also need to remember the 95K municipalities nationwide. And large corporations with thousands of fleet vehicles, and Pizza deliveries, etc.

Top Bottom