• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Adjustable Rear Suspension-a Must On Elio

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What I know as cargo coils is the variable spacing. Rides normal when unloaded, stiffens, but still rides great when weight is added. The center of the coil spring has an extra "round" in it and the "air gape between the coils" are closer together than both outer ends of the coil spring. Those center coils don't start compressing until the outer ends have about the same "air gap" between them as the center coils.
The "trim" of the vehicle is much less compromised when compared to stock. It rides better than heavier rated standard springs.
I love those things!!

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you got a look at the very brief demo ride shown on "Innovation Nation" last Saturday, the ride seems to have improved dramatically over the past year. The P3 seemed to "pogo" badly in the rear, seeming to indicate a lack of suspension compliance and shock control. The P4 in the IN video looked like a far more sophisticated coupling of spring rate and shock valving. Now granted, PE himself was in the back seat . . . maybe that's the way to get attention focused on certain critical issues . . . put the CEO in the back seat and let him get bounced around. Nothing gets your development team's attention refocused like dribbling the boss for a couple of blocks . . . . ;)

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If you got a look at the very brief demo ride shown on "Innovation Nation" last Saturday, the ride seems to have improved dramatically over the past year. The P2 seemed to "pogo" badly in the rear, seeming to indicate a lack of suspension compliance and shock control. The P3 in the IN video looked like a far more sophisticated coupling of spring rate and shock valving. Now granted, PE himself was in the back seat . . . maybe that's the way to get attention focused on certain critical issues . . . put the CEO in the back seat and let him get bounced around. Nothing gets your development team's attention refocused like dribbling the boss for a couple of blocks . . . . ;)

We know that the orange P4 did receive a suspension upgrade since it was first unveiled last January. In August a new anti-roll bar and adjustable Peterson Spring coil-over units were installed. I am sure since then EM has also refined the ride further by adjusting the coil-over shocks to suit their needs.

f43beaf9-2044-4721-825d-db0677da9901.jpg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seems reasonable that a motorized adjuster could be designed for this. Frankly, I can see an inexpensive(up to medium priced) solution that would adapt to the shock above. A solenoid, ring gear-set , thrust bearing (or washer) and a motor, couple of limit switches, a clamp on housing and you are good to go!

But then maybe adapt something like this..
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=720875&gclid=CLH-7f212sMCFQsGaQod-XEAuA

But then there's good old off road stock
http://www.jrishocks.com/shop/truck/jride-electronically-adjustable-shock/

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Something nagged at me for a while now about the Elio and just dawn on me what it is yesterday. I was out motorcycle riding with my group and one member met his girlfriend at the diner, before we start the ride he adjusted his rear suspension for two up riding. if he hadn't, the bike would not have been safe to ride. The light bulb went on in my head. At around 1,200lbs and evenly distributed on 3 wheels, the 400lbs empty weight on the rear wheel of the Elio are no more then the weight distributed on the rear wheel of most touring motorcycle. Yet when the Elio is fully loaded, you can easily double the weight on the rear wheel to 800lbs (half of the drivers weight + most of the passenger weight + all of 8gal. gas). I think the difference between empty and fully loaded weight is too much for a none adjustable suspension setup. If Elio do not equip the autocycle with adjustable rear suspension it will be my first mod..
Simple mod using Goldwing/Harley type air shocks.

LGilbert

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Something nagged at me for a while now about the Elio and just dawn on me what it is yesterday. I was out motorcycle riding with my group and one member met his girlfriend at the diner, before we start the ride he adjusted his rear suspension for two up riding. if he hadn't, the bike would not have been safe to ride. The light bulb went on in my head. At around 1,200lbs and evenly distributed on 3 wheels, the 400lbs empty weight on the rear wheel of the Elio are no more then the weight distributed on the rear wheel of most touring motorcycle. Yet when the Elio is fully loaded, you can easily double the weight on the rear wheel to 800lbs (half of the drivers weight + most of the passenger weight + all of 8gal. gas). I think the difference between empty and fully loaded weight is too much for a none adjustable suspension setup. If Elio do not equip the autocycle with adjustable rear suspension it will be my first mod..

First, The Elio is not a motorcycle, thus its configuration is not going to be motorcycle. It's target audience is not going to reach down and adjust their suspension every time their girl/boyfriend or dog gets in the car. Spring designs already compensate for weight through variable coil designs. Look at your car spring and notice that some coils are closer wound than others.

Top Bottom