• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Adjustable Rear Suspension-a Must On Elio

John Higgins

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
While the Elio is not a motorcycle, the rear swing arm is copied from a motorcycle. The Can Am Spyder is also not a motorcycle but a Roadster much like the Elio but not covered and not specifically designed for fuel economy. The Can Am rear suspension on the swing arm is adjusted by means of an air compressor and a seat switch so it happens automatically as needed and there is a toggle switch on the dash. No reaching down as it is not a motorcycle either.

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Can Am Spyder is also not a motorcycle but a Roadster.... The Can Am rear suspension on the swing arm is adjusted by means of an air compressor and a seat switch so it happens automatically as needed and there is a toggle switch on the dash. No reaching down as it is not a motorcycle either.

According to the manufacturer, "the CanAm Spider is a 3-wheel Motorcycle for Touring or Sport," :confused:

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
See I look at the Can-Am Spyder i start having these delusional thoughts about Mad Max and wanting to strip it down to the bare frame and throw some gun turrets and flame throwers on it.

Then i want to take down the highway in the desert with one of those rubber studded mohawk helmets :D

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While the Elio is not a motorcycle, the rear swing arm is copied from a motorcycle. The Can Am Spyder is also not a motorcycle but a Roadster much like the Elio but not covered and not specifically designed for fuel economy. The Can Am rear suspension on the swing arm is adjusted by means of an air compressor and a seat switch so it happens automatically as needed and there is a toggle switch on the dash. No reaching down as it is not a motorcycle either.
You can depend on me to give you information you didn't ask for.

In the rear suspension arm, there is one difference for both the Elio and the C.A.Roadster vs a motorcycle, There are side forces at the road surface, so that swing arm must be a bit more robust for tortional strength. If one ever uses an MC rear swing-arm, beefing it up should be considered.

One thing that saves the day,; Normally the MC rider sits closer to the rear(passenger over the rear), and the weight shifts during accleration. It's built heaftier with that in mind. So in a trike where the weight is more forward and transfer is less, the stock arm often can suffice. But this tortional issue should be considered especially if a body etc is added.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You know, one thing about BRP, there is no reason they can't come out with thier own Scorpion or SlingShot. The market channel is right down thier alley. They probably just want to be sure there is a profitible ongoing market open to them. Although the CanAm was a big risk.
Of course since these things compete with the Can-Am, they may not want to further erode that niche by competing with it. ( IMHO, that's short sighted thinking, but typical for firmly established business )

Now a Elio style BRD product would be a new and different product line to BRD, but they will only want a sport level profit, and it would compete with the Elio in thier eyes. I think differently about it. I think the Elio opens the market for a sports level Elio-Clone, not competes with it.

I would want to convince EM about that. Just like the NRX does not compete with that maker's other two seat sportscars, a Turbo-Elio-Spider would bring more customers into the showroom. People come to see one, and maybe get the other. It's always good to have two diverse models, they sell each other, IMHO.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You know, one thing about BRP, there is no reason they can't come out with thier own Scorpion or SlingShot. The market channel is right down thier alley. They probably just want to be sure there is a profitible ongoing market open to them. Although the CanAm was a big risk.
Of course since these things compete with the Can-Am, they may not want to further erode that niche by competing with it. ( IMHO, that's short sighted thinking, but typical for firmly established business )

Now a Elio style BRD product would be a new and different product line to BRD, but they will only want a sport level profit, and it would compete with the Elio in thier eyes. I think differently about it. I think the Elio opens the market for a sports level Elio-Clone, not competes with it.

I would want to convince EM about that. Just like the NRX does not compete with that maker's other two seat sportscars, a Turbo-Elio-Spider would bring more customers into the showroom. People come to see one, and maybe get the other. It's always good to have two diverse models, they sell each other, IMHO.

If Elio develops a sports level model that tilts, I'm all in for a $1k non-refundable reservation deposit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If Elio develops a sports level model that tilts, I'm all in for a $1k non-refundable reservation deposit!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, if they could reach anywhere near thier safety standards, that would be a good move. A free tilter can't do that in all weather driving but a power tilter can. The viseral driving experiance is totally different between those two. So if they can accept the parameters, either type would bring people in to look just on wow factor alone.

I don't think an EV Elio would have that same affect. The EV plan doesn't seem to cross over, such that and ICE will not sell an EV and an EV will not sell an ICE with most customers.

Top Bottom