• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Adjustable Rear Suspension-a Must On Elio

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I won't be suprised to see cargo coils on the Elio. Unloaded or light loads give a very smooth ride, heavier loads cause them to compress only a bit before the rate of compresion reduces. Very heavy loads results in a firmer ride, but the tires effect and absorb the impacts more than shocks anyway.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cargo coils are springs that have wider spaces at each end between the coils, and smaller ones towards the center. An unloaded vehicle rides smooth unloaded, yet settles (sags down) a lot less when additional weight is added, without compromizing the ride or stability of the vehicle.
Cargo coils are used in a lot of cases for towing, and are/was standard equipment on full size trucks with a towing package back in the seventies.
I put a set on my Wifes Ford 2008 minivan after we started pulling our camper with it. I towed once from Colorado to Corpus Christi TX using factory springs, the rear settled about five inches. (Not good with front wheel drive, traction and stability made it interesting). Be the next trip I had the cargo coils on the rear, it settled almost two inches and the ride was almost as good as no trailer at all!
Her stock springs were rated at 750 lbs. the cargo coils at 1500 lbs. Because they ride like factory when there's nothing heavy in the rear, or we're not towing, you don't have to remove them when they're not needed. Funny thing, even though she's a city girl she likes the look of the tow hitch receiver sticking out of it? Says it makes her van look more rugged! LOL.
The cargo coils maintain the "trim" (front to rear riding hight) of the vehicle very well.

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The car hauler is across town from where I keep the truck. Rather than drive across town and back in the truck with an empty trailer I'll often go grab the trailer(empty) with my beetle. The beetle has an electronic brake controller for my trailer brakes so it does fine with the empty hauler. It wouldn't if I had a car on the trailer, but that's why we have the truck. ;)

More commonly the beetle tows a much smaller utility trailer so I don't have to keep a truck at the house.
9410521361_090162b033.jpgUntitled by systemdelete, on Flickr

The real truck tows the larger loads.
14806760638_b994f50a30.jpgUntitled by systemdelete, on Flickr
Could you please just deposit the contents from the truck trailer in my driveway? Don't worry, I'll take care of any transportation expenses - I know that I am doing you a favor by taking this load off you're hands. :)

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Wheaters, you jogged my mind. "Variable rate springs" is the term my double digit IQ couldn't remember.. :p
After market name is cargo coils.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are a number of "air springs" available for light trucks that can increase their hauling capacity and stability. They are basically air bags installed in the coil springs or above the leaf springs that take over a good part of the load when they are needed. Several manufactures make these available including Firestone, Air Lift, and Hellwig. When you're not hauling a big load, they can be deflated and your ride goes back to stock.

Friends who have used them on long trips and long-distance moves report they are excellent, putting the load on the vehicle's frame and not on the shock mounts like a set of Max-Airs. I think their price runs to several hundred dollars, even with a DIY installation. But there's hope . . . with the Elio, you'd only need ONE and a tiny one at that. Now, find a place to mount it. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom