• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Diesel?

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Diesel or gas or hydrogen or atomic...it is all relative. If gas was still under $2 the Elio would not have been dreamed.

As fossil fuels continue to increase in price, supply and demand will dictate the power source. Diesel smarts are nearly 40% more fuel efficient than my gaser.

$4 Gas vs. $4.25 Diesel
After 100,000 miles a 56 mpg smart diesel = costs $2410 less than a 40 mpg gaser

$8 Gas vs. $8.50 Diesel
After 100,000 miles a 56 mpg smart diesel = costs $4800 less than a 40 mpg gaser
Philosophical Opportunity Cost:

How small a remaining supply of fossil fuels are we willing to leave our grandchildren?
  • Of course scientists and economists will create new energy sources, but what if they don't?

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In case anyone doesn't know this, if you type a value into a Google search bar it will convert to the value you want.

For example, enter: 2000 bar=psi and click search. The answer will be displayed--"29007.5475 pounds per square inch"

Using Bing you will get similar results but they will be displayed in a web page.

84 mpg=l/100km will give the answer as 2.8 liters/100km.

Last edited:

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been a diesel tech for nearly 20 years, while a little diesel in the Elio would be cool, you won't see much a gain in MPG over the 84 they are shooting for out of the gas engine, if any gain at all. 84 mpg out of a simple gas engine is HUGE! The best you see anywhere else right now is what, 40s?

Now, of course if you compare cars today gas vs. diesel in them you see decent gains. But they start in the 20s and 30s on gas, of course you'll see more impressive gains with a diesel. But when you start at 49/84 with gas like the Elio, there isn't much room to improve. I could see maybe squeaking 52/89 out of a little turbo diesel, but when you factor in the added cost of the engine, turbo, CAC, piping and electrical and the fact diesel cost more that gas it wouldn't be worth it.

Daimler's smart diesels are getting 60's ..... just sayin :D

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Daimler's smart diesels are getting 60's ..... just sayin :D
142 gallons a year in an Elio @ 84 MPG = $439 per year in fuel costs ($3.09/gallon in Albuquerque)
71 gallons a year in an Elio @ 168 MPG (magic Diesel engine) = $246 per year in diesel costs ($3.47/gallon in Albuquerque)

You'd save $193 per year with a diesel engine that got 168 MPG driving 12,000 miles per year. However, you'd save 71 gallons of fuel a year and if your purpose is to limit US imports, every little bit helps.

Using my truck, for geewhiz info, I'll use 800 gallons of diesel this year costing $2,776 per year... I'd save $2,337 per year by driving an Elio... The Elio will pay for itself in just under 3 years. And that's using the gas version. Using the magic diesel, it'd save me $2,530 per year and take 2.7 years to pay off with the savings.

Now, as a diesel owner, there are hidden costs... oil changes are rediculously expensive but that's mostly because my truck uses 14 quarts of oil... There's also the anti-gel that's required up north (Minot AFB). I'll bet that I end up spending about $400 more per year maintaining my diesel than I would end up spending on a gasser.

To sum up (sorry you had to read so much for so little), putting in a magic diesel engine would only save the average (12,000 per year) person $193 per year. If the diesel cost only $600, it'd take you 3 years to just break even. For reference, I've been quoted that to replace my engine, I'd be out about $14,000.

Keep it gas. Keep it simple.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Any comments about the added expense of DEF? I had (past tense) a Mercedes Sprinter diesel that required servicing at 15000 for ~$300.

Yes DEF is definitely an added expense for many diesel owners and can be expensive at dealers and auto parts stores where it is routinely sold for $7+ dollars per gallon. However I have found you can fill it yourself at truck stops for $3 or less per gallon. :)

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
VW rabbit in the 80's got 62 mpg with no special anything. Just a cheap good small diesel. Nothing fancy.
The eco nuts hate diesel so they keep adding on requirements till they are no longer cost effective.
Diesel is great I hope someday the ELIO has one.

Top Bottom