• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's not even an Elio available any time in the near future, much less any upgrades for it. Heck, I'd love to see an actual prototype! At this point I'd be excited if they just produced the engine for sale to third parties. Might give them some operating capitol and some real-world engine testing while they are trying to get an actual vehicle figured out. That way the engines would already have the reputation of being all they're hyped up to be, or they'd know if they got a turkey on their hands. Either way, better to know BEFORE you build thousands of vehicles around them.

Might be on to something there is a former person involved with the smart car on the Elio board. The Smart car is a flop and does not get the mileage it was suppose to . Maybe they will put the ELIO engine in a Smart car. That would be about 9-10,000 engines a year sold.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Only in the US. In most countries (even Canada), they used a tiny Diesel engine and the Smart cars got 70+ MPG. The bad choice was to put a gasoline engine in the Smart for the U.S. market.
First I big welcome, from the SUNSHINE State, from a great bunch of folks who share a common goal in owning an Elio, so far the ride has been "bumpy", but very many talented and career focused work that really helps. I do little to nothing repairing my car, and I measure the technical abilities of the shop(s) I use, by the quality of their coffee station!
hope to read your posts !

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Only in the US. In most countries (even Canada), they used a tiny Diesel engine and the Smart cars got 70+ MPG. The bad choice was to put a gasoline engine in the Smart for the U.S. market.
Yes but in this country we don't want Diesel. Smart car sells about 10K a year and the down graded the fuel mileage this year . Smart car is listed in the top do not buy list. Transmission issue claim to be fixed but hat lower mileage. Followed the Smart car just was not the answer. VW Rabbit 19080 got 62 MPG with a small Diesel .
My wife Ford Focus 4 door get around 37 on 87 octane the Smart car requires 91 octane and does not do much better .
I had high hopes for the ELIO. Had planned on two of them as gifts.

Top Bottom