• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The engine doesn't care if it's in a car, an aircraft, or a submarine. The only thing relevant to the engine is how much load is on the output shaft. So long as it's used in an application with a similar load characteristic it will have similar performance. If it spins a bearing or throws a rod while driving a generator or a water pump within it's designed load range, there's no reason to think it would fare any better turning a transmission input shaft.
And the only thing they have actually built is a 'mule' which looks something like the final product, has an interior that might be similar, a dash that probably won't be similar, a suspension that won't be quite the same, an engine that certainly will NOT be used, and handling and performance characteristics which we are assured indicate NOTHING about the final version. Prototype? It's a marketing brochure with wheels. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it just is what it is.
I think outsydthebox's remark was more that they designed the engine specifically for an aerodynamicly designed three wheel car. If you put the engine in a Smart, it is going to have much less fuel economy and probably perform like a dog.
My understanding is that they have been touring with a display model of the engine as well.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Until the engine is mounted in a body, ELIO does not have a body. They have a cute picture.

Until the engine and body are riding on tires ....
One step at a time, they spent considerable time getting the current frame worked out.

2-dsc07967.jpg

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One step at a time, they spent considerable time getting the current frame worked out.

2-dsc07967.jpg

Well if this is the step they are at they should not have even been talking about going into production. If they can not trust their frame because the engine may shake it apart they have serious issues.
I tend to think ELIO only has one issue stopping production and the starting of the engine in public , Funding they have no money. Bills are due.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
if they were to start building another motor and engine at the same time, I wonder which would be completed first .... so far as we know, they have yet to mount a transmission onto the IAV engine .... while I can't believe they haven't done extensive design/computer simulations, I can't help but wonder how long it will take to get them properly fitted and mounted
Well we do know there is an "end to the road", don't recall the date, but the commitment not to employ 1500 folks, by (?) will result in a daily fine, which I think will be a hole that can't be climbed

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well we do know there is an "end to the road", don't recall the date, but the commitment not to employ 1500 folks, by (?) will result in a daily fine, which I think will be a hole that can't be climbed

if it comes to that and no further extension is granted I can't help but agree

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well if this is the step they are at they should not have even been talking about going into production. If they can not trust their frame because the engine may shake it apart they have serious issues.
I tend to think ELIO only has one issue stopping production and the starting of the engine in public , Funding they have no money. Bills are due.
The step they are on now is getting the funding for production. They took the time it needed to do the P4 frame right, they took the time needed to design and build a new engine, why would they rush something? Its not like they have a whole line of vehicles, they have one, when they show something they seem to be very prudent to make certain they have had it right. That also means for those of us drooling for one of their vehicles we have to constantly change our bibs, I get it, it sucks. However, Elio has been very clear in stating while there are a lot of moving parts in this whole process, the key now is on production funding.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The step they are on now is getting the funding for production. They took the time it needed to do the P4 frame right, they took the time needed to design and build a new engine, why would they rush something? Its not like they have a whole line of vehicles, they have one, when they show something they seem to be very prudent to make certain they have had it right. That also means for those of us drooling for one of their vehicles we have to constantly change our bibs, I get it, it sucks. However, Elio has been very clear in stating while there are a lot of moving parts in this whole process, the key now is on production funding.

We see this different. They have not been prudent at all. They have not met one goal date or general time line they set. Not even close. The one thing they needed to get right was the starting the engine on the day they said they would and they blew it.
Prudent would mean not to release or hint at a time line they have no way of meeting. At this point 2016 is a pipe dream and will remain so until they show some new leadership. Investment follows leadership , new leadership often follows investment.
I still want to own an ELIO . I still support them but drinking the cool-aid does them no good . When they start the moving parts junk sit back here comes another excuse. Then they quickly offer a blog post about a new clothing line. To get anywhere feet must be held to the fire get results or move on.
If PE can't do it then he needs to turn it over to someone that can and take his cut.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We see this different. They have not been prudent at all. They have not met one goal date or general time line they set. Not even close. The one thing they needed to get right was the starting the engine on the day they said they would and they blew it.
Prudent would mean not to release or hint at a time line they have no way of meeting. At this point 2016 is a pipe dream and will remain so until they show some new leadership. Investment follows leadership , new leadership often follows investment.
I still want to own an ELIO . I still support them but drinking the cool-aid does them no good . When they start the moving parts junk sit back here comes another excuse. Then they quickly offer a blog post about a new clothing line. To get anywhere feet must be held to the fire get results or move on.
If PE can't do it then he needs to turn it over to someone that can and take his cut.
So raising the capital to get this far, securing a plant in Shreveport, building several mules, systematically getting I think over half the states to rewrite their vehicle statutes, building an engine from the ground up, getting almost 40,000 of us to pony up our money, getting Comau to sell of their excess equipment, hiring Corporate Fuel to assist with funding, etc isn't accomplishment? Other than start production (that I would agree with you on), Elio has accomplished what matters. The reality that I can't feed my ego and see the engine being started in public yet, sucks, but that is for show not what the bottom line is - getting to production. They have a strategic plan, they are following it.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ELOI has not secured the building it is contingent on them meeting requirements. They did not buy the building. They have a marginal right to use it.
Hiring Corporate Fuel is a madder of hey if you find some funds you get a nice cut. No rocket science there.
Yes ELIO has done a lot , but they did not finish they got stuck in a dream and never moved past it. ELIO is now like the 60 year old with a 1960's HD in the garage he has been restoring for 20 years and is no farther along than he was 15 years ago. They need to quit playing marketing cheerleader and work on money. Starting the engine may have meant little to us in the end , but you can bet others were watching. And they likely are the ones that will influence ELIO's chance greatly.
Accomplishment also means doing what you said you would do, and doing it on time.

Jake

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
So raising the capital to get this far, securing a plant in Shreveport, building several mules, systematically getting I think over half the states to rewrite their vehicle statutes, building an engine from the ground up, getting almost 40,000 of us to pony up our money, getting Comau to sell of their excess equipment, hiring Corporate Fuel to assist with funding, etc isn't accomplishment? Other than start production (that I would agree with you on), Elio has accomplished what matters. The reality that I can't feed my ego and see the engine being started in public yet, sucks, but that is for show not what the bottom line is - getting to production. They have a strategic plan, they are following it.
Did you read Smitty's post? I'ts about meeting goals. They have missed nearly EVERY goal. And the goals you list that they HAVE accomplished?
Sell excess equipment. Not done. Vehicle statutes. Not done. Build Engine. Not done. Funding. Not done. Secure plant. Provisional but not done.
No one wants to see this Elio built more than me, however I live in the Real world.

Top Bottom