• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...At this point I'd be excited if they just produced the engine for sale to third parties....That way the engines would already have the reputation of being all they're hyped up to be, or they'd know if they got a turkey on their hands.

As Paul has said, this engine has been designed specifically, for maximum efficiency, in a vehicle of specific weight and aerodynamic profile, ie the Elio. Tell me, what other vehicle meets that criteria? So, I will go out on a limb and say, In any other vehicle, this engine will be disappointing. As for "seeing a prototype?" ....one has been on tour for several months. And pictures of the actual engine have been on this forum for over a week. And they already "know" the engine performs better than expected as it has already been run. :)

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As Paul has said, this engine has been designed specifically, for maximum efficiency, in a vehicle of specific weight and aerodynamic profile, ie the Elio. Tell me, what other vehicle meets that criteria? So, I will go out on a limb and say, In any other vehicle, this engine will be disappointing. As for "seeing a prototype?" ....one has been on tour for several months. And pictures of the actual engine have been on this forum for over a week. And they already "know" the engine performs better than expected as it has already been run. :)
The engine doesn't care if it's in a car, an aircraft, or a submarine. The only thing relevant to the engine is how much load is on the output shaft. So long as it's used in an application with a similar load characteristic it will have similar performance. If it spins a bearing or throws a rod while driving a generator or a water pump within it's designed load range, there's no reason to think it would fare any better turning a transmission input shaft.
And the only thing they have actually built is a 'mule' which looks something like the final product, has an interior that might be similar, a dash that probably won't be similar, a suspension that won't be quite the same, an engine that certainly will NOT be used, and handling and performance characteristics which we are assured indicate NOTHING about the final version. Prototype? It's a marketing brochure with wheels. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it just is what it is.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"runs better than expected", but who besides EM staff and some PeP Boys in H. S training class have seen this?

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The engine doesn't care if it's in a car, an aircraft, or a submarine. The only thing relevant to the engine is how much load is on the output shaft. So long as it's used in an application with a similar load characteristic it will have similar performance. If it spins a bearing or throws a rod while driving a generator or a water pump within it's designed load range, there's no reason to think it would fare any better turning a transmission input shaft.
And the only thing they have actually built is a 'mule' which looks something like the final product, has an interior that might be similar, a dash that probably won't be similar, a suspension that won't be quite the same, an engine that certainly will NOT be used, and handling and performance characteristics which we are assured indicate NOTHING about the final version. Prototype? It's a marketing brochure with wheels. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it just is what it is.

I'm glad we are in agreement. :)

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's a marketing brochure with wheels. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it just is what it is.[/QUOTE]

Design starts with ideas; ideas, tested, become prototypes; prototypes, tested, become products. In order to find out the Geo motor wouldn't cut it, EM had to have a prototype to test it in. If along the way you can use a prototype to sell the product, so much the better.
This is the way things get built. :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
if they were to start building another motor and engine at the same time, I wonder which would be completed first .... so far as we know, they have yet to mount a transmission onto the IAV engine .... while I can't believe they haven't done extensive design/computer simulations, I can't help but wonder how long it will take to get them properly fitted and mounted

Top Bottom