• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Jeremy Clarkson Finally Falls Foul Of The Bbc; Top Gear Episode Cancelled!

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While there is no shortage of "car" shows on TV , I don't care for most of them . TG USA is awful . Even the ones I like seem to morph into nonsense as they gain popularity . (Fast-n-Loud) I liked Jeremy Clarkson and the crew of TG . Sure , he was abrasive and bashed everyone including Americans . But you can't deny you came away knowing something that you didn't before the show . He will land somewhere .
Now , if they screw up Wheeler Dealers or Naked Speed I will be pissed .

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I get Top gear on Netflix. Last night I noticed NEW SEASON:) I think it said 2014.
and Hammond :rolleyes: is reading script for something called Science of stupid. just old videos from a show I think they called it stupid stuff on wheels.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I get Top gear on Netflix. Last night I noticed NEW SEASON:) I think it said 2014.
and Hammond :rolleyes: is reading script for something called Science of stupid. just old videos from a show I think they called it stupid stuff on wheels.
I saw those "Science of Stupid" on the Discovery channel a few days ago. It said "New" (aka not a rerun) in the description; so it's like they just repackaged an old show, gave it a new name and filled some air time.
The Top Gear 2014 was new in 2014 and it was aired on BBC America TV but there was a kind of filler show in between the 2014 season and the 2015 season (I think 2015 was series 22 and 2014 was series 21).

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a question related to the topic of Top Gear and Clarkson's supposed dismissal - considering the way these shows are produced. I've been a producer for more years than I'd care to think about, but although mine were generally "industrials", I have a pretty fair familiarity with the concept of bringing "entertainment" programming to market. Here's my problem with the "dismissal" as described.

Clarkson isn't "live" on the air producing his quips at random. Someone had to see and pass on his script. Failing that, if Clarkson is allowed to just run "stream of consciousness" during his segments, there's a couple dozen executives, producers, editors, and assistants who would or should have caught his less PC comments and called a meeting. No, Jeremy Clarkson - nor anyone else - doesn't run uncensored to worldwide coverage. These people know what's at stake and standing around pointing at Clarkson for his uncontrolled mouth rather ignores the realities of "reality" television.

A good rule of thumb for watching anything on television or in the movies for that matter, is "who is holding the camera?" These people don't just appear on your home screen at will, there's a whole cadre of production people behind the scenes, at least a dozen of whom have the authority to step in and bleep an incautious performer. Witness Gordon Ramsey, whose 30-minute programs must consist of about 4-1/2 minutes of continuous bleep - diced into smaller pieces and tossed into the dish, simply because he seems to have a limited vocabulary reminiscent of Ozzie Osbourne's. No, Clarkson is paid to be brash and borderline insulting - but the decision to go to air with that episode (and others) in question falls at the doorstep of the producer(s) of the program.

This incident looks more like a gamble by the production company, testing the authority of Executive Producer Andy Wilman over the BBC. If there's blame to be shared here, Wilman stands front and center for letting Clarkson continue to make a fool of himself. BBC may have pulled the rug out from under the host(s), but at present it looks like the principles will go on with plans for a tour of "Clarkson, Hammond and May Live" that could well become the next generation of a "Top Gear"-like program - under another banner. While Clarkson sold the rights for "Top Gear" as an international franchise to BBC a few years ago, it doesn't mean he and his cohorts can't produce a new and improved version of the program with a title to be named later. If the acceptance of "Top Gear"'s local spinoffs is any indication, the old program title may find itself back on the market shortly.

Last edited:

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
MY FAVORITE TOP GEAR EPISODE IS THE ONE ON THE PEEL P-50 .

I GOT TO SIT IN BRUCE WEINER's PEEL AND AT 6'2" I DON'T SEE HOW I COULD DRIVE IT .
CLARKSON IS 2 INCHES TALLER THAN ME AND NOT EXACTLY THIN BUT HE STILL MANAGES
TO DRIVE A PEEL IN LONDON TRAFFIC AS WELL AS THROUGH THE BBC OFFICE BUILDING !

THIS IS HILARIOUS AND CLEARLY ONE OF CLARKSON's FINEST MOMENTS .

DSC_0860.JPG

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a question related to the topic of Top Gear and Clarkson's supposed dismissal - considering the way these shows are produced. I've been a producer for more years than I'd care to think about, but although mine were generally "industrials", I have a pretty fair familiarity with the concept of bringing "entertainment" programming to market. Here's my problem with the "dismissal" as described.

Clarkson isn't "live" on the air producing his quips at random. Someone had to see and pass on his script. Failing that, if Clarkson is allowed to just run "stream of consciousness" during his segments, there's a couple dozen executives, producers, editors, and assistants who would or should have caught his less PC comments and called a meeting. No, Jeremy Clarkson - nor anyone else - doesn't run uncensored to worldwide coverage. These people know what's at stake and standing around pointing at Clarkson for his uncontrolled mouth rather ignores the realities of "reality" television.

A good rule of thumb for watching anything on television or in the movies for that matter, is "who is holding the camera?" These people don't just appear on your home screen at will, there's a whole cadre of production people behind the scenes, at least a dozen of whom have the authority to step in and bleep an incautious performer. Witness Gordon Ramsey, whose 30-minute programs must consist of about 4-1/2 minutes of continuous bleep - diced into smaller pieces and tossed into the dish, simply because he seems to have a limited vocabulary reminiscent of Ozzie Osbourne's. No, Clarkson is paid to be brash and borderline insulting - but the decision to go to air with that episode (and others) in question falls at the doorstep of the producer(s) of the program.

This incident looks more like a gamble by the production company, testing the authority of Executive Producer Andy Wilman over the BBC. If there's blame to be shared here, Wilman stands front and center for letting Clarkson continue to make a fool of himself. BBC may have pulled the rug out from under the host(s), but at present it looks like the principles will go on with plans for a tour of "Clarkson, Hammond and May Live" that could well become the next generation of a "Top Gear"-like program - under another banner. While Clarkson sold the rights for "Top Gear" as an international franchise to BBC a few years ago, it doesn't mean he and his cohorts can't produce a new and improved version of the program with a title to be named later. If the acceptance of "Top Gear"'s local spinoffs is any indication, the old program title may find itself back on the market shortly.

Some of the incidents were never on the air, but happened on rehearsals. The one about the racial slur was during a "practice" filming that he said it and a local heard him and got their panties in a wad; another was the license plate on the car he was driving in Argentina; the local officials said it was a slam about the war over the Falkland's. The list goes on, but it was that someone had it in for him. The final straw was him arguing and punching out a producer that was just a jerk. What I have read is that Netflix has approached Jeremy and offered him is show where he'll have complete control; no word on the outcome of that yet. May and Hammond, well it was contract time for them and since Jeremy was already making a HUGE box of money there I'm sure they felt they deserved an equal share. All of this is speculation and rumors that are floating around, no one really know the whole story or if we'll ever get the whole story.

Top Bottom