• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wrap Vs Paint

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Since the body panels are a composite, is a primer coat even necessary? Seems like panels destined to be wrapped could be left without primer or paint and be just fine. Might even save a little weight but for the size of the Elio that probably wouldn't add up to anything noticeable.
Primer is porous, that's why paint bonds to it so well; putting a wrap directly on an unfinished body would probably make it dam near impossible to remove and as has been discussed in this thread, life of a wrap is probably less then a paint job. I've seen a number of cars that have been wrapped (just watch a NASCAR race and just about everyone of them is wrapped; but underneath is a painted body. You would also want paint when it comes time to sell the car; this way if you have something extremely personalized on the wrap, you can make it more sellable if you can take that off.

DailyLunatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I doubt if it's going to be primer; it will probably be whatever color they happen to have on hand that isn't already reserved/special order.
My best guess would be white.

Both would not be my preference. I'd be willing to wager it would be whatever the car before yours was.

Personally, I would vote for 'Black'. I feel a bit of black peeking out here and there would be much less noticeable.

-sterling

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Just curious. Is edumicate a word? If it is, Word doesn't know it. Typo?
Nope, it is a word, slang, but still a word
edumicate
To provide information to a person of limited intelligence or experience.
Usage infers a backwoods/hick connotation on the subject.

"It is high time that I edumicate you some manners."

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been attempting to edumicate myself on wraps. I can see some plusses. Mostly that you can do it yourself more easily than painting (no need to extensive masking, and other such...

It got me to thinking. Suppose I order a Elio with a wrap (green). What color is the painted car body? Green also? Primer only? Black?

This is an issue as one should change the wrap every couple of years. If one were to want to change wrap color would I have green paint peaking at the door jams on my nice new orange car?

That I can see, the configurator has no way to select paint color under you wrap.

-sterling
You pick your color which is free and THEN, pick the wrap. The color under the wrap is whatever color you select.

DailyLunatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You pick your color which is free and THEN, pick the wrap. The color under the wrap is whatever color you select.

Is this a guess? I don't see any way to tell from the configurator.

When I tested this I selected "green" as a base color, and "purple" as a wrap color.

The selection of "green" disappears and selection moves to "Purple" No selection shows for green in anyway that I can see.

I then went to the Interior and looked at door jams and other places that would not typically be wrapped. (yeah, yeah... I know, its just a representation) No green peeking through.

When I selected "Color Coordinated" the interior changed to purple, not green. (hmmm... Interesting. Interior pieces are wrapped?)

-sterling

Top Bottom