• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wrap Vs Paint

DailyLunatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, first of all, I'm talking about the one color wraps. Not the full color prints of unicorns farting rainbows or some such.

I've never had a car painted, but a brief internet search shows the cost of a budget paint job (and I cannot see a wrap looking much better than a budget paint job) is between $300.00 & $1200.00.

So, why wraps? What are the advantages? Are they UV resistant? ...protect from chipping? What?

-sterling

Thomas Maule

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am curious too... I might be interested in a wrap if I could have some guarentee that it would last at least 10 years before it starts to fade or peel.... and then I would like to know what it looks like upon failure due to time. will i have peeling wrap all over the car so it becomes ugly as heck?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, vinyl wraps protect against both chipping and UV damage.

So let's say you buy a Black Elio, but then get a Bronze wrap on it. Ten years from now, you decide to sell your Elio. Simply peel off the faded vinyl wrap, and underneath you will find a shiny black Elio that still looks fresh from the factory!

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the wrap takes a hit from a rock and gets a nick in it does it tend to start peeling over time?
All vinyl wraps will, eventually, begin to peel at the edges. But generally speaking, a rock or other small ding should just bounce off.
Think of it as a stylish ablative shield for your paint job. :)

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are many good reasons to select a wrap vs a full paint job . A decent one color paint job from a reputable paint shop will definitely cost you between $2000-$4000 dollars and take 2 weeks to complete . A similar wrap will cost approximately $2000 with a 2 day turnaround . And as Seth has pointed out , the Wrap will protect your car paint for future resale . However , one downside to wrapping is the propensity to fade . Your wrap will last longer in a garage. A customer I had back in the early 2000s had 2 wrapped vehicles used for deliveries and advertising . They only had room for one in the garage . There was a
distinct difference in the sharpness of the two in a very short time. They began alternating garage storage. Speaking of advertising , there is no comparison at all . A custom airbrushed paint job will be MUCH higher cost than a similar wrap .
If your car is an old junker and you are considering a Maaco slop job or a wrap , Maaco is the way to go. If you have a late model that you wish to simply change the color on , a wrap should be on your radar. If taken care of ( garage, alcohol cleaning ) a wrap can be vibrant for 5-6 years.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you get a wrap at time of purchase would the car still be painted? Seems like with a wrap the paint underneath is of no use and adds weight and production time. Just primer the body panels if even that is necessary and put in the wrap.

(Wow, just got an image of the Hansen brothers, "we're getting ready, putting in the foil coach!"

foil.jpg

Last edited:

DailyLunatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, vinyl wraps protect against both chipping and UV damage.

So let's say you buy a Black Elio, but then get a Bronze wrap on it. Ten years from now, you decide to sell your Elio. Simply peel off the faded vinyl wrap, and underneath you will find a shiny black Elio that still looks fresh from the factory!

For a Luxury vehicle, I believe this to be a legitimate argument. For a budget one like the Elio, (no offence. it is what it is) I can't see recouping enough to make it worth the expense...

Example: All other things being the same... If I have a 10 year old, sun-bleached Elio that I wanted to sell vs one with a virgin factory paint job, will it improve the resale valve more than $1200? Say, $2500 vs $3700 (pulling 10 year old resale values out of my... thin air)

I've always driven the wheels off cars I've bought new. I don't typically think in these lines...

-sterling

Top Bottom