• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Do You Stand Now?

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Gee why don't we just go to 4 wheels 4 passenger and get it over with .
The premise was a 3 wheel two passenger vehicle for $6800 with good gas mileage .Wants and wou
Gee why don't we just go to 4 wheels 4 passenger and get it over with .
The premise was a 3 wheel two passenger vehicle for $6800 with good gas mileage .Wants and wou
Elio's concept is to provide a much needed affordable, functional, high mpg commuter vehicle since 95% of most daily commutes involves a single occupant. It is what is......a perfect commuter or functional vehicle for around town errands. If you need three seats park your motorcycle and drive your car.
Your absolutely correct .Keep it simple is the path to success :D

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem is, regardless of price, most people are going to assume that they can't afford a separate car for commuting vs transporting the family.That's why SUV' s are so popular, they get you to work, the kids to soccer practice, the dog to the vet, transport a week's worth of groceries, take the lawn mower to get a tune up, etc. Even if it's cheaper in the long run, most people will look at the upfront cost of owning an additional vehicle.
Stats show about 34% of American households own one car. 54% two cars......some 0......some 3 or more. If you are a family of three and can only afford or choose to own one vehicle..............the Elio is not for you.........was not designed to be. I bet 95% of the Elio's you see on the road will have a single occupant........perhaps an occasional spouse, child, or pet will go along for the ride.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem is, regardless of price, most people are going to assume that they can't afford a separate car for commuting vs transporting the family.That's why SUV' s are so popular, they get you to work, the kids to soccer practice, the dog to the vet, transport a week's worth of groceries, take the lawn mower to get a tune up, etc. Even if it's cheaper in the long run, most people will look at the upfront cost of owning an additional vehicle.

I think that is exactly the point of the Elio marketing message. People driving SUVs know the cost of driving them every time they fill up. Elio is saying, buy the elio for commuting and leave the SUV for the things you actually need the SUV for. And by the way, for what you save in gas alone it will pay for the elio. I think that elio could also talk about the depreciation that is saved off that $40 - $70,000 SUV by commuting in a $6,800 elio as well.

I give you the reality that It is a mind shift for people to recognize that 2 vehicles will meet many of their needs better than relying on a single vehicle that is needed in 10% of their life while being excessive and costly in the other 90% of their life. But elio is all about changing the game and the mind set of people and it looks to me like they will.

Elynde

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, personally I plan on driving the Elio for all my commuting needs and weekly store runs. If I need to haul more people or more cargo, I can always call a taxi, or even rent a car for a day with the money I save on gas with the Elio. ;)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, personally I plan on driving the Elio for all my commuting needs and weekly store runs. If I need to haul more people or more cargo, I can always call a taxi, or even rent a car for a day with the money I save on gas with the Elio. ;)

This is exactly the mentality Elio Motors needs to encourage! This plan makes much more sense than paying much higher fuel costs, and higher upfront costs to purchase a larger new vehicle, all for some extra room you do not need or use on a regular basis.

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is exactly the mentality Elio Motors needs to encourage! This plan makes much more sense than paying much higher fuel costs, and higher upfront costs to purchase a larger new vehicle, all for some extra room you do not need or use on a regular basis.
Stats show about 34% of American households own one car. 54% two cars......some 0......some 3 or more. If you are a family of three and can only afford or choose to own one vehicle..............the Elio is not for you.........was not designed to be. I bet 95% of the Elio's you see on the road will have a single occupant........perhaps an occasional spouse, child, or pet will go along for the ride.
I think that is exactly the point of the Elio marketing message. People driving SUVs know the cost of driving them every time they fill up. Elio is saying, buy the elio for commuting and leave the SUV for the things you actually need the SUV for. And by the way, for what you save in gas alone it will pay for the elio. I think that elio could also talk about the depreciation that is saved off that $40 - $70,000 SUV by commuting in a $6,800 elio as well.

I give you the reality that It is a mind shift for people to recognize that 2 vehicles will meet many of their needs better than relying on a single vehicle that is needed in 10% of their life while being excessive and costly in the other 90% of their life. But elio is all about changing the game and the mind set of people and it looks to me like they will.
My point is that Elio makes a logical argument, but we all know that the average person buys with their heart more than their head. A business plan that requires a mind shift in consumers is an uphill battle.
Mine would be for commuting only. I couldn't fit a week's worth of groceries in that trunk! And let's hope they don't use "you can rent a car from gas savings when this one is too small" as a marketing statement, that's sure to reinforce the "it's too small to do what I need" argument that Elio will be battling against.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And even at $10K the depreciation is still substantially less than that $40-$70K SUV.
.........and Elio would jump to $10k based on speculation. Elio will meet o
My point is that Elio makes a logical argument, but we all know that the average person buys with their heart more than their head. A business plan that requires a mind shift in consumers is an uphill battle.

Mine would be for commuting only. I couldn't fit a week's worth of groceries in that trunk! And let's hope they don't use "you can rent a car from gas savings when this one is too small" as a marketing statement, that's sure to reinforce the "it's too small to do what I need" argument that Elio will be battling against.
Too small to meet my needs is not going to be an argument against Elio but rather reinforce the fact that it is what it's design to be.........an affordable high mpg commuter/city vehicle that meets the needs as a second vehicle for families, for students, and for retirees living on a budget or wanting to have some fun. Elio covers a wide range of demographics.

The largest number of buyers will use it as you plan on using it..........it will be a fun ride, so I suppose it's an RV for me.

Most who see it apparently like the idea of it. The average person looking to buy the Elio is buying with their heart and their head. IMHO

Top Bottom