• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheel Fenders, Fairings, Skirts, Covers

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Other options:

Avian Dissuaders:
bird-barrier-bird-spikes.png

Color is nearly right, right? Just need to flatten the fender out...
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWzHiHWWgAHH3PVbDD1JolENmkxMvt69cNMiXi-nhN86HZhQuTGQ.jpg

Maybe adapt those pet-shocking mats:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQtc4aRunqcEJlDqa2FQN1tA1M-eBcqa-6KJLdtZ7tLfLvQL8oYQ.jpg

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My Beetle had fenders. I leaned, stepped, and climbed on them plenty. Of course, those suckers were steel, not aluminum, fiberglass, or whatever composite material they are using.
No, don't put a sticker telling people not to do it! That's actually more like an encouragement to a goodly section of the population. You know, instead of looking and acting in a responsible way it more like, "Mmmm, I wonder how much weight I can put on this before I can damage it?" I think it is going to be one of those possible pitfalls that comes with a car built around a budget. I hadn't really thought of that question either. Well done, SR!
When I'm setting up message boards, I'm forever standing in places the manufacturer tells me not too. I can't figure out how to reach certain parts without standing there. I'm forced to believe the suckers are just designed for people taller than me. :(

ScarecrowRepair

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Whether the fenders are supported on both sides or just the inside will make a difference. Common sense would say both sides so freeway wind doesn't knock them into the tires. But if the supports were collapsible for the inch or two of clearance, then any weight on them would push them down to tire level which has to be able to take the full weight. But the resistance would have to be enough to prevent the fender collapsing from snow collected during driving. If the inside supports collapsed first, the sensation of the seat tilting backwards (inwards) would be an immediate and safe reminder to the sitter to get up.

I also don't know what would make a good collapsing element. Telescoping tubes sound too complicated and prone to sticking. Springs would work, but they might not be stiff enough to stay straight with freeway wind pushing against the front. Or maybe they'd be shielded enough from the road wind that it wouldn't matter. Springs would also provide enough sideways flexibility that leaning against the fender would not break anything.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I
The Elio fenders seem like an ass-magnet to me; so tempting to sit on or leana against. I asked Elio how string they were in such situations, and they advise against it, which is all well and good, but aside from adding spikes to each, or a NO STEP sign, it doesn't seem like practical advice.

There's also the qeestion of snow on the fenders. The worst in my area is sometimes 4 feet in a weekend, wet and heavy.

Some of you have trikes or cars old enough to have real fenders similar to the Elio in backside temptation. How do you cope with this?
I spoke to Elio on the very same subject. I also asked how tough the fenders were and if they would stand-up / be strong enough to handle someone sitting on them. They said they were strong enough. My concern is the scratches. I can see someone putting there foot on it to tie their shoe. :mad: I don't allow anyone to sit on any outside part of my car.

I was told also that the fenders come off by removing four screws. There has been conversations about having winter fenders you can buy which are like the first open fenders. They are not as aerodynamic but in the snow this isn't the main concern since driving speeds are slower. The rear wheel was also mentioned. It is very similar to you current car's from what I was told. You also can remove the rear fender easily if needed.

ScarecrowRepair

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I was told also that the fenders come off by removing four screws.

Elio told me the legality of that depends on the state and city. I could easily see some bureaucrat calling it a pedestrian safety hazard, or worrying about snow slush being thrown up by the wheels at following cars. There's also the problem of turning and having road debris thrown into an open window, but that wouldn't be a problem in snow :-)

But it would make putting chains on trivial. The current fenders won't fit in the trunk, but the P3 ones might if the lid were kept open. Or maybe they could be attached to the roof somehow, for temporary use while driving slow with chains on.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio fenders seem like an ass-magnet to me; so tempting to sit on or leana against. I asked Elio how string they were in such situations, and they advise against it, which is all well and good, but aside from adding spikes to each, or a NO STEP sign, it doesn't seem like practical advice.

There's also the qeestion of snow on the fenders. The worst in my area is sometimes 4 feet in a weekend, wet and heavy.

Some of you have trikes or cars old enough to have real fenders similar to the Elio in backside temptation. How do you cope with this?

Hope this helps.
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/wheel-fenders-fairings-skirts-covers.268/page-8
Post 78-104

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
... Elio told me the legality of that depends on the state and city. I could easily see some bureaucrat calling it a pedestrian safety hazard, or worrying about snow slush being thrown up by the wheels at following cars. There's also the problem of turning and having road debris thrown into an open window, but that wouldn't be a problem in snow :) ......

That was RE removing the fenders, but I'm wondering if small stones, etc. could get slung through open windows even with the fenders on. They'd just have to unleash from the tread at the precise moment after a slight delay being held in the tread. Motorcyclists are theoretically safer from such incidents since the wheel is never aimed toward them without the body blocking it. Same goes for most modern cars.

Having not actually sat in an Elio I'm having trouble envisioning whether debris would merely hit the doors. Wind would be a factor and who knows what else. The fender-backs do extend quite low. I can't be the first to think of this but who knows.

elio_fender_debris.jpg

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can't idiot proof everything. There are some people, mainly teenagers, that could tear up a battleship with a rubber hammer. Recently a group of them went through our local park during the night and by jumping up and down managed to bend every table and bench in the place... and these were the powder coated steel type! Estimated damage was over $50.000. As I see it there is only one way to protect your car, keep it out of harms way....

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That was RE removing the fenders, but I'm wondering if small stones, etc. could get slung through open windows even with the fenders on. They'd just have to unleash from the tread at the precise moment after a slight delay being held in the tread. Motorcyclists are theoretically safer from such incidents since the wheel is never aimed toward them without the body blocking it. Same goes for most modern cars.

Having not actually sat in an Elio I'm having trouble envisioning whether debris would merely hit the doors. Wind would be a factor and who knows what else. The fender-backs do extend quite low. I can't be the first to think of this but who knows.

while I learned long ago to really be cautious about using the word "never," based on sitting in the P4, I tend to believe that with the odds would be very remote .... having never seen them in person I suspect the same would be true for the P3 fenders but would rather leave that to folks who have

Top Bottom