• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheel Fenders, Fairings, Skirts, Covers

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sorry. It sounds like a lot of people have been infected with either the lawyer virus or the Ralph Nader virus.
Keep thinking like that all the time and you will wake up in the morning and have an all day panic attack.
You should see some of the places where I have ended up with thick mud clumps on my truck and Jeep.
As far as chains, in all of the years I lived around Rochester and Syracuse NY I never had chains on a front wheel drive car.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sorry. It sounds like a lot of people have been infected with either the lawyer virus or the Ralph Nader virus.
Keep thinking like that all the time and you will wake up in the morning and have an all day panic attack.
You should see some of the places where I have ended up with thick mud clumps on my truck and Jeep.
As far as chains, in all of the years I lived around Rochester and Syracuse NY I never had chains on a front wheel drive car.

Hmmm...Nah, I see the worries/concerns as opportunity for improvement (aftermarket stuff). :cool: Keep it coming folks! I'm retiring in a few years, and I'll need something to keep me busy! :D

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a detail often neglected by DIY builders of three wheelers. There are a number of vehicles out there with the out-rigger wheels. The best indicator of the vulnerability is the CanAm Spider by Bombardier. This is even more exposed than the Elio, and hits are not a heavily reported problem.

The drivers of cloned Morgan three wheelers are even more exposed than the CanAm and again it is not a heavily reported issue. I am a tiny bit uncomfortable with that issue in the Morgan as well as the CanAm vehicles. It only takes one hit to ruin your day.

Personally, I'm also very nervous about ridding a motorcycle on the local freeways, given the number of broken windshields I've had here. 'Bout 1 each year, with multiple strikes leading up to that. Those were exclusively 'tossed rock's or 'dropped rock's. I also would not want a direct head strike from a 'pinched' rock. However, a direct hit on the driver from any of those types is impossible in the Elio.

But, (assuming the driver window is open) it is possible in the Elio to get a double ricochet from a 'pinched rock', first hitting the side of the car, back to the fender then up to the window. But that is still more likely to hit the interior roof first, making that a three ricochet hit. It's a very unlikely event. Even so, each ricochet reduces the energy in the rock's velocity. Making this a more trivial mater.

It's probably easier to have a pinched rock hit the sidewalk curb and back to the driver in a 4 wheel sedan. How often does that happen?

Even so, drive politely on gravel, no Dukes-Of-hazard burn-outs, K?

Last edited:

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The drivers of cloned Morgan three wheelers are even more exposed than the CanAm and again it is not a heavily reported issue. I am a tiny bit uncomfortable with that issue in the Morgan as well as the CanAm vehicles. It only takes one hit to ruin your day.

Personally, I'm also very nervous about ridding a motorcycle on the local freeways, given the number of broken windshields I've had here. 'Bout 1 each year, with multiple strikes leading up to that. Those were exclusively 'tossed rock's or 'dropped rock's. I also would not want a direct head strike from a 'pinched' rock. However, a direct hit on the driver from any of those types is impossible in the Elio.

But, it is possible in the Elio to get a double ricochet from a 'pinched rock', first hitting the side of the car, back to the fender then up to the window. But that is still more likely to hit the interior roof first, making that a three ricochet hit. It's a very unlikely event. Even so, each ricochet reduces the energy in the rock's velocity. Making this a more trivial mater.

It's probably easier to have a pinched rock hit the sidewalk curb and back to the driver in a 4 wheel sedan. How often does that happen?

Funny how some ideas just bounce around in ones head as so to ponder the possible. In my mind the only way to get a road projectile into the windshield or cab of a an Elio is the only way one can attack a tank these days. Word has it that missile can only penetrate a tank from above because of the slanting armor. Same goes for the slanting of the Elio. Getting hit like that is as likely as getting hit by a musket ball from half a mile away. So just as you say; No comparison to a Morgan or a CanAm. LOL

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmmm...Nah, I see the worries/concerns as opportunity for improvement (aftermarket stuff). :cool: Keep it coming folks! I'm retiring in a few years, and I'll need something to keep me busy! :D

I like the way you think. You didn't, by chance, profit from selling protection for the "y2k" bug? ;) :D

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a detail often neglected by DIY builders of three wheelers. There are a number of vehicles out there with the out-rigger wheels. The best indicator of the vulnerability is the CanAm Spider by Bombardier. This is even more exposed than the Elio, and hits are not a heavily reported problem.

But, (assuming the driver window is open) it is possible in the Elio to get a double ricochet from a 'pinched rock', first hitting the side of the car, back to the fender then up to the window. But that is still more likely to hit the interior roof first, making that a three ricochet hit. It's a very unlikely event. Even so, each ricochet reduces the energy in the rock's velocity. Making this a more trivial mater.

Well, if you turn left and "punch it" you might get something in your ear (and paint) me thinks.

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That was RE removing the fenders, but I'm wondering if small stones, etc. could get slung through open windows even with the fenders on. They'd just have to unleash from the tread at the precise moment after a slight delay being held in the tread. Motorcyclists are theoretically safer from such incidents since the wheel is never aimed toward them without the body blocking it. Same goes for most modern cars.

Having not actually sat in an Elio I'm having trouble envisioning whether debris would merely hit the doors. Wind would be a factor and who knows what else. The fender-backs do extend quite low. I can't be the first to think of this but who knows.

View attachment 5899

I am more concerned when riding my Buell behind a tractor trailer rig that is missing a mud flap and it has a tire blow out (in front of me). I do not see a concern or negative with this proposed Elio front wheel. I am solidly in favor of this current Elio design. As someone mentioned, if it is a concern add a lower, short mud flap. Personalize the Elio as you want after you have title.
Thank you Paul Elio and the Elio team! :D

Top Bottom