• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Is The Latest Start Production Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was really hoping they'd at least start the 100 pre-production run of Elios this month but it seems very unlikely at this point. In fact, I think they've said as much. Still, I was really hoping this time.
Forget production for now Ty, it'll only happen when "production money" comes in. For now, we can just enjoy 1 (one) E-series iteration in what...every 6 months?, show and tell and then on to the next one! How many e-series to go again...20 more?? What's really strange is how all of a sudden (my opinion only) we have not heard of the new engine progress, or lack of it! Everybody knows how important that the new engine is up to the task or Em will end up with a pretty body and no soul? :D

Justin Bowser

Elio Fan
Reaction score
All of these setbacks are starting to depress me. When I "got in line" a few years ago I doubled their estimate of when production was to start and told the wife that I could make her current car last that long. I am now thinking I'll probably have to buy her something else as I'm getting tired of working on a 23 year old car that's pushing 300k miles!

Last edited:

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I definitely agree that (in hindsight), it was horrible of Paul Elio to keep announcing production times though I think he was always careful to make them "projected" dates. Some of the delays were beyond his control and several things led to further delays...

While there were several unforeseen events and some were decisions made to make the Elio better, here's my first stab at delay causes:

1. The delay with renting the GM plant led to a lot of frustration and misinformation that persists even to today. I just saw an article about how Elio won't get the plant. Hint: They have it.
2. The switch from tubular to stamped steel frame.
3. The switch from SMC to steel body.
4. ATMV Loan process
5. Fuel tank switch to port fill vs. starboard fill
6. Exclusion of the Sunflower paint color.
7. Switch from Leer to Hyundai for seating.
8. Switch from Continental to MTX for audio.
9. Addition of cruise control without raising price.
10. Addition of tilt steering without raising price.

All those weren't delays and I know there are delays I didn't mention.

Just don't blame delays on the roadshow (not saying you did but I've seen people here do it). It isn't like the show people are building Elios when they aren't at the show. Those people won't be building them nor have they been. We are talking about two completely different entities... Show people and Development people. This is probably also why they aren't always on the same page when they answer questions.

#4 is the biggest delay causer...

NorTracNY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think we should be looking at a government loan as a delay. I don't think any good business plan should assume on financial support from the government. Elio has even stated they have a path to production without it. What that is is the gorilla in the room.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
#4 is the biggest delay causer...
There is no government delay. It's EM's delay to produce a running tested prototype to validate claims made on their ATVM application form. Easier to cast blame on the government? The government wants to be sure the Elio qualifies and that EM has the financial status to repay the loan. It's an example of responsible government.

Last edited:

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong: This gov't loan approval turns on mainly two requirements. 1. The overall mpg performance dependent on the engine. 2. 'Proof' of the ability to repay the loan.

As of today, there appear to be two (2) engines, one maybe a representative of purposely designed prototype and one Geo Metro. There are no dyno test numbers published of either motor, there is a short video of an engine in a lab.

EM admits to needing upwards of 300 million dollars more and has already expended about 100 million. The ATVM loan is for less than 150 million.

EM has seized upon a more recent but nebulous loan requirement calling for a commitment 'pledge' of interested buyers to essentially commit to the order process: sounds like some abstract but non binding way to somehow present that although the dolllars and specifications aren't there, or attainable, we can make it work by getting 65,000 preorders. These preorders indicate commitment even though EM is wheeling and dealing with discounting which by many acoounts may leave a profit of 1,000 dollars, or less, per vehicle.

I am hoping to see my Elio in my driveway soon, the new car I put my Elio bumper sticker on three years ago has almost 60,000 miles on it and my tee shirt is getting so thin and gauzy that it rips when I pull it over my oxygen mask and drool cup.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is no government delay. It's EM's delay to produce a running tested prototype to validate claims made on their ATVM application form. Easier to cast blame on the government? The government wants to be sure the Elio qualifies and that EM has the financial status to repay the loan. It's an example of responsible government.
Very well said Rickb!

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
*ALERT* :rant:
I think it's time to look at ourselves. I know...some will stop reading right about...now!
We, (all of us) like to be liked & respected. To be viewed by others as (somewhat) intelligent. We want our "opinions" to be appreciated. And it makes us feel good when others "agree" with our line of reasoning. To be "influential". Nothing wrong with that. This group is filled with intelligent people.
Sometimes tho, We voice our "fears" as "facts". Our "opinions" as our "ability to predict the future. It boosts our "egos" when we're right. Armchair Quarterbacks And when we're wrong?...well, we can "justify" by saying things like..."well, when I "said that" I didn't have ALL of the "facts." or "I didn't Know they were doing that!" Haven't we just "justified our ignorance?" (why does doing this make us feel better?!? I do it, too.
Ignorance is Fear / Fear is Ignorance
What if...each "fearful comment" that has been posted over the years, "influenced" just 1 person into NOT supporting a worthy venture?...

What if...just 1 of those persons was on the ATVM committee?...how much "damage" has really been done? :dispirited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom