• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Waffling On Base Price. Can They Make $6,800?

What will be the actual base price of the Elio (excluding taxes,delivery and paperwork)

• $6,800

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • $7,000

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • $7,200

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • $7,500

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • over $7,500

Votes: 17 15.6%

• Total voters

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Honor the base price for the all-inners? Why? The all ins are already receiving a bonus. All reservationists knew that $6800 was the target price not the final price. In reality the all in non-refundable reservationists will be happy to receive delivery of their Elios and willing to pay the calculated final base price so EM can generate a little profit on the first run Elios for EM's new Crowdsource funding investors.

Reactions: Ekh

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Honor the base price for the all-inners? Why? The all ins are already receiving a bonus. All reservationists knew that $6800 was the target price not the final price. In reality the all in non-refundable reservationists will be happy to receive delivery of their Elios and willing to pay the calculated final base price so EM can generate a little profit on the first run Elios for EM's new Crowdsource funding investors.
You're right -- but it's the optics of the thing. Elio would, I am sure, like to be VISIBLY keeping their oft-repeated word on this. If they can meet that goal, even temporarily, it looks a heck of a lot better than a before-the-doors-open price increase. We, the faithful, live in Peoria -- anything they do plays fine with us, as you suggest -- but maybe not so much the rest of the world. If no cars are sold at $6,800, no matter how good the rationale, there will be a lot of bad press. Even if it's a minor difference in price, it gives the haters something to screech about and the news people something to talk about. It's a tough call for Paul for that reason.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion, I don't think there'll be much backlash as long as they keep it at or under $6800 after the $500 all in discount (i.e. <$7300). Above that, they start losing add-ons at the point of sale and if it ends up more than $7800 they might start to lose a significant number of vehicle purchases.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You're right -- but it's the optics of the thing. Elio would, I am sure, like to be VISIBLY keeping their oft-repeated word on this. If they can meet that goal, even temporarily, it looks a heck of a lot better than a before-the-doors-open price increase. We, the faithful, live in Peoria -- anything they do plays fine with us, as you suggest -- but maybe not so much the rest of the world. If no cars are sold at $6,800, no matter how good the rationale, there will be a lot of bad press. Even if it's a minor difference in price, it gives the haters something to screech about and the news people something to talk about. It's a tough call for Paul for that reason.
Your right too--but most understand it's impossible to determine actual cost until all the nuts and bolts are counted or actual mpg until it's tested and we all understand that. It's why the asterisk. If EM is close to their targets and an Elio is actually setting in my driveway they have done the impossible.

I think once EM's production start is official the naysayers will shut the heck up and move on. Nobody will be listening. I'm not sure many are listening now.

Reactions: Ekh

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla , the gold standard of rolling fleshlites , has been plagued by so many complaints from buyers that Consumer Reports has concluded that the model S has too many problems to recommend it . Stock fell 7% on the news .

“It’s one thing to have a quirky, problematic car that sells 20,000 units per year to wealthy people who probably own at least one backup vehicle,” the report concluded. “It’s quite another when Tesla scales up to its 2020 projection of 200,000 U.S. Model 3 buyers, who may not have the luxury of being so forgiving.” - Consumer Reports

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/21/business/consumer-reports-stops-recommending-the-tesla.html

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla , the gold standard of rolling fleshlites , has been plagued by so many complaints from buyers that Consumer Reports has concluded that the model S has too many problems to recommend it . Stock fell 7% on the news .

“It’s one thing to have a quirky, problematic car that sells 20,000 units per year to wealthy people who probably own at least one backup vehicle,” the report concluded. “It’s quite another when Tesla scales up to its 2020 projection of 200,000 U.S. Model 3 buyers, who may not have the luxury of being so forgiving.” - Consumer Reports

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/21/business/consumer-reports-stops-recommending-the-tesla.html

Consumer reports states that the Tesla Model S is the best performance car they ever rated and this year it happened to fall to the same consumer reports standards as the Corvette and the BMW 5x. The Tesla Model 3 won't have all the high tech gadgets like self opening doors, etc. that have the tendancy to fail. Just because you can design a techy gadget feature into a car doesn't mean you should.

What you didn't mention is that still, despite the problems and complaints, Tesla owners remain happy about their cars. According to it's survey, Consumer Reports said that 97 percent of owners would buy their car again.

Speaking of quirky........the untested Elio. I hope Consumer Reports surveys say that 97 percent of the reservationist owners would buy their Elios again. Will the Elio make the Consumer Reports recommended list?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Consumer reports states that the Tesla Model S is the best performance car they ever rated and this year it happened to fall to the same consumer reports standards as the Corvette and the BMW 5x. The Tesla Model 3 won't have all the high tech gadgets like self opening doors, etc. that have the tendancy to fail. Just because you can design a techy gadget feature into a car doesn't mean you should.

What you didn't mention is that still, despite the problems and complaints, Tesla owners remain happy about their cars. According to it's survey, Consumer Reports said that 97 percent of owners would buy their car again.

Speaking of quirky........the untested Elio. I hope Consumer Reports surveys say that 97 percent of the reservationist owners would buy their Elios again. Will the Elio make the Consumer Reports recommended list?

I'm sure we will find out how people feel about the Elio once it goes into production. And with better than 10 times the Tesla's production rate we will find out a lot more quickly. Hopefully we won't see problems with things like drivetrain, power and charging equipment, body and sunroof squeaks, rattles and leaks. Of course the price tag wont be up to $120,000 for one car either. But with that price, it's nice to know that Tesla has been responsive to replacing faulty motors, differentials, brakes and infotainment systems, all with a minimum of fuss to owners.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Ok .....I posted a link to the article .... I mentioned the headline . Consumer reports will not recommend the Tesla any longer . Consumer reports said ," quirky, problematic car" , Not me .
For Tesla fans , I'm sure the spin will remain good . ;) Conspiracy

Top Bottom