• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Waffling On Base Price. Can They Make $6,800?

What will be the actual base price of the Elio (excluding taxes,delivery and paperwork)

• $6,800

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • $7,000

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • $7,200

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • $7,500

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • over $7,500

Votes: 17 15.6%

• Total voters

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I find it interesting that 98% of the Tesla owners are happy and would buy their vehicles again. That must mean that Consumer Reports is among the 2%.

I'm guessing we will see our share of warranty issues with our Elios. I hope to experience the ownership of a totally trouble free Elio built on a day when the factory line is at the peak of quality control and the production crew is happy to be working.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok .....I posted a link to the article .... I mentioned the headline . Consumer reports will not recommend the Tesla any longer . Consumer reports said ," quirky, problematic car" , Not me .
For Tesla fans , I'm sure the spin will remain good . ;) Conspiracy
Not for the 2%.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Horoscoots, I wasn't being critical............you posted the link to a catchy headline which I checked because I was curious about the headline and interested in the complete news story. I appreciate and respect Tesla Motors business model, not really a fan. It's just another rich man's vehicle manufactured by a Billionaire with a vision to develop new technology that I can't currently afford, maybe someday. I buy products that aren't Consumer Reports recommended.

The problem is spin. People read and or hear snippets out of context without fact checking and make assumptions that feeds the spin. Happens with Elio naysayers, Tesla naysayers, political naysayers, and naysayer naysayers.

The Elio is a concept vehicle for the average guy marketed by rich men and a Billionaire that I can currently afford when available, maybe someday.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
If I can drive out the door for less the 10K...... I'm a happy camper :D
I think that will depend on how many extras you want.
I plan to do comparisons when it comes to items like the cameras and some other accessories that you can get in the aftermarket.
I know that my window tinter will be one of my first stops.
I'm wondering if the same tint laws will apply to the Elio as they do for a car; if that's the case 35% is the darkest allowed in WA state, I can do 5% on the back windows if I want, but I want to try for 20% all the way around.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure we will find out how people feel about the Elio once it goes into production. And with better than 10 times the Tesla's production rate we will find out a lot more quickly. Hopefully we won't see problems with things like drivetrain, power and charging equipment, body and sunroof squeaks, rattles and leaks. Of course the price tag wont be up to $120,000 for one car either. But with that price, it's nice to know that Tesla has been responsive to replacing faulty motors, differentials, brakes and infotainment systems, all with a minimum of fuss to owners.

The unfortunate thing is that for $120,000 I would expect a well polished car. Complaints about having to replace motors are definitely a justifiable complaint and for $120,000 I would expect that poor fit and finish would also be justified.

I think if Elio went out with motors that needed swapping than complaints about the Elio would be justified but I truly hope people don't expect and complain if the fit and finish (squeaks and rattles) aren't up to a $120,000 car level. Hopefully they think chevy and not rolls royce before they make those types of complaints.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I find it interesting that 98% of the Tesla owners are happy and would buy their vehicles again. That must mean that Consumer Reports is among the 2%.

I'm guessing we will see our share of warranty issues with our Elios. I hope to experience the ownership of a totally trouble free Elio built on a day when the factory line is at the peak of quality control and the production crew is happy to be working.

Yes and you have traditionally seen that same type of fanaticism in Apple products but as Apple is finding out, even the most die hard eventually start to wake up.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion, I don't think there'll be much backlash as long as they keep it at or under $6800 after the $500 all in discount (i.e. <$7300). Above that, they start losing add-ons at the point of sale and if it ends up more than $7800 they might start to lose a significant number of vehicle purchases.

As long as the "gas savings pays the monthly payment", It is still a no-brainer.;)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes and you have traditionally seen that same type of fanaticism in Apple products but as Apple is finding out, even the most die hard eventually start to wake up.
If Tesla and Apple products both have a 98% customer approval rating, along with award winning sales and follow up customer service ratings those companies are apparently doing something right. It's difficult for me to be critical of their products and business models. You must have had a negative experience with Tesla and Apple.

Note: I personally expect quality parts, solid build, tight fit, and good finish level on my $6800 + Elio along with reliability. Because it's half a car, with half the parts, taking half the time to build doesn't mean I should expect half the quality. If the Elio shakes and rattles while it rolls down the road and the fit a finish sucks I won't buy it. If it drives, rides, and looks good but turns out to be unreliable over time I won't buy another. Will EM's followup service, warranty work, and Customer Service be at award winning levels with a 98% customer approval rating guaranteeing repeat sales? Wait a minute that's Pep Boys responsibility and their current level of customer complaints is on the high side.

Top Bottom