• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Things Still Up In The Air ...

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's quite a list. I'll start with a handful, then see what you guys come up with.

1. Plastic or Metal body panels? (officially in the air, but I'll give 10 to 1 it's metal)
2. Windshield washer type
3. Formal selling price of the base car (needed before ATVM can proceed -- DOE needs this to evaluate the financial self-sufficiency of the company)
4. ATVM itself, of course.
5. Battery capacity and location

OK, over to you.

I would say it goes in this order:
1. EM Funding (MAJOR)

2,3,4,5, etc - All very small details and don't matter without the funding.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You know, guys, I wasn't expecting commentary on each issue -- but rather to see what OTHER unsettled issues remain -- hood latch or pins, for instance. All the comments are interesting, but I'm still wondering what else is out there.

As for Seth's question about how did we get from experimenting with metal to 10:1 it's happening, that's based on language used in press conferences and movies. Only the official blog, so far as I remember, says it's about "experimenting." Everybody else sounds like it's a definite done deal. Engineering test and validation isn't about design choices still to be made. It's about seeing if the choices you made actually work. The body skin materials question doesn't fit here; unless there was a technical problem, plastic should work just fine. That in turn tells me that for some reason, quite late in the game, EM made a 90 degree turn. Either something was actually wrong with the plastic body panel choice in the first place, or the costs were simply too high. I'm thinking costs.

The possible trade-offs in choosing metal panels over plastic are 1. Weight 2. Cost 3. Durability 4. Repairability 5. Difficulty of installation 6. Availability. I have no idea how either choice would score against these questions, but those are the major questions involved. Pretty clearly, something in that list went BEEEEEP and Elio has changed its mind.

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fender lights will ruin the drag coefficient numbers. And wires to power those lights will be flapping in the breeze. And of course, that'll raise the base price of the Elio, and hurt the MPG numbers. Thanks, but no thanks.

That's one of those mods that the owner should do if he/she is so inclined.

champsman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fender lights will ruin the drag coefficient numbers. And wires to power those lights will be flapping in the breeze. And of course, that'll raise the base price of the Elio, and hurt the MPG numbers. Thanks, but no thanks.

That's one of t
hose mods that the owner should do if he/she is so inclined.

Maybe so, but they should be offered as an option.

Top Bottom