• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did he say they developed the Tango on a one million dollar budget?
Does not look very good.
It has two doors.
Miniscule ground clearance.
What is that thing in the back at the bottom? A step?
I would have to try it first before I condemned its handling.
Sitting that high, it would have a good view.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did he say they developed the Tango on a one million dollar budget?
Does not look very good.
It has two doors.
Miniscule ground clearance.
What is that thing in the back at the bottom? A step?
I would have to try it first before I condemned its handling.
Sitting that high, it would have a good view.

Yes, a million dollars. The thing on the back limits how high the front wheels come up off the ground on the high torque wheelie off the line starts. It's quick off the line. It looks fun. It has sports car handling according to test drivers.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
as already noted in this thread and in many others before it, you will find a good number of folks who agree .... unfortunately, our forum and and other sites that setup for folks who are interested in EM, have been through the tirades of former members who strongly feel differently .... Paul may not fully reach all of his must haves and if he doesn't, the blow-back will resume .... personally, I prefer the P3 fenders .... personally, I want nothing to do with the Elgin .... personally I prefer the fuel port being on the left .... to help reach his mileage standard, the P4 fenders will be standard ....to help with his base price goal, the fuel port will be on the right .... on Facebook we were told that if we want an Elio, we had to take the Elgin .... the bottom line is, its pretty much take it or leave it .... I can understand him not changing his plans to suit my wants .... we plan to buy an Elio, to modify what we can and live with the rest
I know this is probably already been put to bed, but I just noticed this on Facebook:

cover.jpg

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know this is probably already been put to bed, but I just noticed this on Facebook:

View attachment 6514
I find this interesting because it confirms that the new suspension design is the "real deal" ... and that, whether or not we're fans of exposed coil-overs, etc, this is what we're going to get. I liked the exposed version for its cool factor, no question -- but this design makes sense from a number of points of view, not least acceptability by those folks who are NOT gear-heads -- and they're the mass market EM is really after.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the flare around the suspension opening is still there like it was on the P4, it will be OK because it can simply be removed and it will look like the P4. However the CAD drawing looks like the flare is gone. Sometimes CAD drawings do not show things like this well. I hope this is the case.

The drawing shows the suspension a-arms simply passing through a hole. This would make assembly extremely difficult. Something must be missing.

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
from the "rendering" it certainly looks like the covering for the front suspension arms may well be very different than the P4 .... I'm anxious to get a closer look at it
Just as a refresher, here's the rendering that more or less started this thread.

[Broken External Image]
If the flare around the suspension opening is still there like it was on the P4, it will be OK because it can simply be removed and it will look like the P4. However the CAD drawing looks like the flare is gone. Sometimes CAD drawings do not show things like this well. I hope this is the case.

The drawing shows the arms simply passing through a hole. This would make assembly extremely difficult. Something must be missing.
I think you're right -- you need something off-center or angled to be able to make the wheels steer. Just pulling or pushing on their centers definitely won't do it! I'd also worry about the amount of suspension travel being as small as the hole in the cover plate suggests. So something is "hidden" from our angle of view, or simply missing from the drawing. Maybe one of our moderators can ask Elio for an update on steering / front suspension revisions.

We could ask directly via Facebook, but I'm not a member there (and will never be), so someone else will have to do it.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
that would be a great question for any of our members who attend the tour on Aug 15th in Royal Oak, MI at the Woodward Dream Cruise, in front of Village Automotive on 31200 Woodward Ave or Aug 28th - 30th at Sonoma Raceway - GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma

Top Bottom