• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Options, They Are On Their Way

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And most happened before you were born.
Before Detroit decided it was cool to copy what many of us old folks referred to as Jap crap.
(note: not a racial slur.)
Have you noticed how many cars bring Darth Vader's helmet to mind when you look at the front end?
You used to be able to identify make/model from a quarter mile.
Now you have to look at the badge.
Sad commentary on state of car design.
I can still tell the difference between a '55 a '56 and a '57 chevy from a quarter mile away, so can my wife and daughter. It helps that I still have the '56 chevy 2 door sedan that my dad bought brand new when I was 2 years old, it's been mine since I was 15.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is why advanced batteries and fuel cells, at price parity to ICEs on a power density and cost basis, will be the best thing long term for car designs. With range anxiety no longer an issue, car designers will no longer be beholden to the wind tunnel and can go back to being innovative and creative again.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had pointed out previously the "fender wells" have the same covering we saw in the pre-P5 drawings. There was a discussion how suspension arms could be made to fit through the holes in this body piece. When these fender well coverings were not on the P5, we forgot these body pieces.

Perhaps these body pieces will still be on the final product after all. Remember the P5 was a very incomplete vehicle. Perhaps these pieces were left off the P5. Perhaps they were still being designed.

These body fender well coverings in the options video ( https://myelio.me/ ) are different from pervious ones. The holes for the upper A-arm are larger and the lower A-arm mounts beneath it. As the picture rotates we can see through or below it. It would make no sense to spend money on CAD hours to evolve a component that would not be present on the vehicle. Perhaps this piece is going to be an option to enhance mpg. It is, after all, appearing on the options page.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had pointed out previously the "fender wells" have the same covering we saw in the pre-P5 drawings. There was a discussion how suspension arms could be made to fit through the holes in this body piece. When these fender well coverings were not on the P5, we forgot these body pieces.

Perhaps these body pieces will still be on the final product after all. Remember the P5 was a very incomplete vehicle. Perhaps these pieces were left off the P5. Perhaps they were still being designed.

These body fender well coverings in the options video ( https://myelio.me/ ) are different from pervious ones. The holes for the upper A-arm are larger and the lower A-arm mounts beneath it. As the picture rotates we can see through or below it. It would make no sense to spend money on CAD hours to evolve a component that would not be present on the vehicle. Perhaps this piece is going to be an option to enhance mpg. It is, after all, appearing on the options page.
In the video at time 0:00:16 , there are several prospective pictures shown and one is a good aerial diagonal view of the fender well covering showing the large opening for the upper A-arm and also showing it does not go down all the way to the lower A-arm.

Is there someone with good computer skills and appropriate software who can take a still picture of this and post it? It would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a professor of mechanical engineering who formerly worked for Porsche. He said all the cars would eventually look the same and have the same aerodynamic shape in order to satisfy federal governmental required fuel economy.

That was 1979. It took a while, but time has proven he certainly knew what he was talking about.

Top Bottom