• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Standard Transmission

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Please tell me that Aisin is American made, cause I know Toyota and Suzuki sure aren't

I know Aisin is a Japanese company, but it seems they have some drivetrain and other production facilities in the USA: http://www.aisin.com/profile/global/north_america/

Whether the transmissions the Elio will use are going to be manufactured in the US is definitely a good question that I'd like to know the answer.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone of you have one or driven one? I've never heard of it before. I am familiar with a CVT, I own a tractor with a hydrostatic transmission, I have rebuilt many automatic transmissions, IE torque converter, valve body, clutch packs et al. I operated my first hand clutched John Deere tractor before I entered kindergarten and have left foot clutched and stick shifted every car I've ever owned until recently. As I have aged I find it quite handy to let the car decide which gear it wants to be in, and one less pedal for me to think about. Someone please allay my fears and tell me an automatic clutched manual transmission is the next new thing and I'm going to love it as much as I do the Elgin gauges and which side the gas cap is on.
No one can make that decision for you but I do know I am looking forward to trying it. My 1999 Camry is an automatic and I probably could go with manual since I don't do a lot of driving in traffic. However, if I can afford it I will get the AMT. I consider it simply another adventure to be undertaken with my Elio. I do so love adventures. :-) Z

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Aisin is the worlds largest automatic transmission manufacturer in the world and the second largest producer of manual transmissions. While they are indeed based in Japan they have manufacturing facilities all over the world including several in the USA. It is my understanding that the EM transmissions will be manufactured in one of the Aisin facilities in the USA.

EM is aiming for 90% North American content with most of that being in the USA however some of the parts could also come from Canada and Mexico.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Please tell me that Aisin is American made, cause I know Toyota and Suzuki sure aren't
I understand Toyota has been made here and in Canada for some time now. If I remember correctly, the original selected automatic was American made but had to be rejected either for lack of availability or some other issue. That was done quite early this year and EM has been searching for a good auto transmission since then. There are simply some things that are no longer made in this country and I hope you won't fault EM for that. :-) Z

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I've found this in my searching tonight: http://www.aisin-ai.co.jp/english/products/others.html

The previously mentioned MC5 is listed there, and another 5 speed the MC25. These are made by Aisin AI, an independent company in Japan under Aisin Seiki (the main Co.). They produce(d) products for these companies, according to Wikipedia: Toyota, DaimlerChrysler, Isuzu, Mazda Motor Company, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., Mitsubishi Motors, General Motors, Daihatsu, Hino Motors, FIAT, Volvo, Jeep, Porsche, and Luxgen.

Given what goofyone has just said, I suspect the transmissions will be produced instead by the Aisin factory in Seymour, Indiana. A factory that already supplies components for Honda, General Motors, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan and Toyota.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The simple reasons for EM choosing an AMT over other types of automatics are fuel efficiency and cost. An AMT equipped Elio will achieve the same or better fuel economy than a manual transmission equipped Elio. The single clutch AMT is also slightly less expensive than a traditional torque converter automatic which are also heavier and less fuel efficient. CVT's are more expensive and don't get better fuel economy than a modern torque converter automatic however some people like them for their smoothness. Dual clutch automatics are fuel efficient however at this time they are the most expensive type of automatic.

Some people already don't like the fact that they could pay $500-$1000 more for an automatic equipped Elio so the AMT is the best option.

It is likely wise to wait and reserve judgement on the AMT equipped Elio until after we find out how it really drives as comparing it to the Smart is not likely a good comparison either as the Smart AMT design is over a decade old now and the Smart is a heavier vehicle. We will just have to wait and see how a newer generation of AMT works in a lighter vehicle.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone of you have one or driven one? I've never heard of it before. I am familiar with a CVT, I own a tractor with a hydrostatic transmission, I have rebuilt many automatic transmissions, IE torque converter, valve body, clutch packs et al. I operated my first hand clutched John Deere tractor before I entered kindergarten and have left foot clutched and stick shifted every car I've ever owned until recently. As I have aged I find it quite handy to let the car decide which gear it wants to be in, and one less pedal for me to think about. Someone please allay my fears and tell me an automatic clutched manual transmission is the next new thing and I'm going to love it as much as I do the Elgin gauges and which side the gas cap is on.

O. K.Let me tell you-an automatic clutched manual transmission is the next new thing and you're going to love it as much as you do the Elgin gauges and which side the cap is on.
I trust that the "kids" will get it right, and besides no need to worry about a magneto (lol)

Kegger

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Do you mean to tell me, this an automatic clutched manual transmission? Not a true automatic transmission, with a torque converter and valve body? I know nothing about such a beast, with the possible exception of the 70's VW autostick that was a piece of crap.

I've driven an automated manual transmission in a vehicle before and I have to say I really loved how it behaved. You also get excellent efficiency since the clutch doesn't slip and a torque converter does. I really think you people will like it! There's nothing complicated about it, you just drive it like normal, and also the parts are much less complicated to have worked on. An automatic transmission is usually a nightmare and is often compared to brain surgery. This should be a bit more of a simple system and many many years later you just might have to replace your clutch, (as opposed to having your tranny rebuilt or replaced for a grand or so).

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've driven an automated manual transmission in a vehicle before and I have to say I really loved how it behaved. You also get excellent efficiency since the clutch doesn't slip and a torque converter does. I really think you people will like it! There's nothing complicated about it, you just drive it like normal, and also the parts are much less complicated to have worked on. An automatic transmission is usually a nightmare and is often compared to brain surgery. This should be a bit more of a simple system and many many years later you just might have to replace your clutch, (as opposed to having your tranny rebuilt or replaced for a grand or so).
Thanks for sharing that information. We really haven't had anyone give us as much detail on the subject who has actually driven with one. :-) Z

Last edited:
Top Bottom