• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Standard Transmission

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Why? What is it you don't think you will like about it? I don't think you will notice that it is not a regular automatic.

I think it'd definitely behave differently than a normal automatic transmission, from my understanding of this sort of transmission. But I too don't see much of an issue. It'll be quite easy to operate I suspect. Personally if I do get the AMT I suspect a lot of the time I'll just have it in "manual shifting" mode. But I like the convenience of being able to let the transmission do the shifting for me if I'm too lazy :cool::oops:

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Didn't AMT build model cars in the 60's? I just don't know anything an automatic manual transmission. I do know how to operate a clutch and shift on my own. What else uses an AMT and where can I test drive one?

Here's a video of I think a very similar (maybe the same transmission??) AMT in use that will be installed in the Elio Automatic Transmission equipped car:

I know the Smart Fortwo uses an AMT, however, that is NOT going to be the same transmission in the Elio. It has received generally negative reviews from most sources for jerkiness/sluggish response. As far as I know the Aisin AMT (planned for the Elio) has gotten better reviews.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone of you have one or driven one? I've never heard of it before. I am familiar with a CVT, I own a tractor with a hydrostatic transmission, I have rebuilt many automatic transmissions, IE torque converter, valve body, clutch packs et al. I operated my first hand clutched John Deere tractor before I entered kindergarten and have left foot clutched and stick shifted every car I've ever owned until recently. As I have aged I find it quite handy to let the car decide which gear it wants to be in, and one less pedal for me to think about. Someone please allay my fears and tell me an automatic clutched manual transmission is the next new thing and I'm going to love it as much as I do the Elgin gauges and which side the gas cap is on.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's a video of I think a very similar (maybe the same transmission??) AMT in use that will be installed in the Elio Automatic Transmission equipped car:

I know the Smart Fortwo uses an AMT, however, that is NOT going to be the same transmission in the Elio. It has received generally negative reviews from most sources for jerkiness/sluggish response. As far as I know the Aisin AMT (planned for the Elio) has gotten better reviews.
Have you ever driven one? Sorry, I just don't trust the India Indian in the video with his Japanese car.
Seems like I talk to his brother every time I have a computer, internet, or cell phone problem.
His names always Bob, or Larry, or Mike, always an Anglo name and an Indian accent, and he's in Chicago or somewhere in the U.S. No he's in India!

Last edited:

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Anyone of you have one or driven one? I've never heard of it before. I am familiar with a CVT, I own a tractor with a hydrostatic transmission, I have rebuilt many automatic transmissions, IE torque converter, valve body, clutch packs et al. I operated my first hand clutched John Deere tractor before I entered kindergarten and have left foot clutched and stick shifted every car I've ever owned until recently. As I have aged I find it quite handy to let the car decide which gear it wants to be in, and one less pedal for me to think about. Someone please allay my fears and tell me an automatic clutched manual transmission is the next new thing and I'm going to love it as much as I do the Elgin gauges and which side the gas cap is on.

I know some forum members here have experience with an AMT. They seem to be, along with CVTs, the "next new thing", however. This one will be a single, dry-clutch design. AMTs potentially have a lot of advantages over traditional torque-converter based automatics in that they have no fluid coupling losses, are much lighter, less complex, cheaper, and probably some other things I'm not remembering off of the top of my head. Dual-clutch designs (like those used in high end sports cars, and increasingly more frequently used in "typical" cars) seem to be highly praised overall. The dual-clutches, as I understand it, basically allow the transmission to be ready for either an upshift or downshift very quickly, and thus very smooth operation. Single-clutch designs suffer in this regard, though.

At the moment I'm having a hard time finding specific information on what kind of transmissions the Elio will use, besides that they will be made by Aisin, and will be 5-speeds. This Suzuki Celerio in the video I linked above may have a different transmission entirely, though I'm certain the general operation will be basically the same to what the AMT-equipped Elio will be like.

I too am a bit hesitant on the AMTs operation, due to negative reviews I've seen of the Smart Fortwo's AMT. I'm going to hope that I'll be able to read many reviews and even test drive one before making my final decision on getting the AMT or just getting the standard manual transmission.

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ross, I am doin some speculatin here but attached is info on Asin transmissions. The manual is "correct" for elio as far as this data goes. I was told at Rome air show that the AMT was also Asin. These 2 transmissions will share mounting deminisions and ae as described by Elio. I have nothing to document that these are the 2 transmissions being used but the mauual is on a Toyota and that fits with info provided on tour. BC5 Manual and MC5 AMT,,,, my best guess,,, unsubstanciated :) Sorry that screen capture is kinda small :( OK a little better now.

Attachments

• Eliotransbigger.jpg
    Eliotransbigger.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Top Bottom