• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Standard Transmission

Wulff81

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Penny... Penny... Penny...

I have an AMT in the Smart. I'm certain the only thing that shifts slower are the changing seasons. Auto or manual, as long as the PCM isn't working the clutch, I will be content. Although i do quite enjoy the flappy-paddle (Thank you Jeremy Clarkson) shift levers. They make slow somehow seem faster!

Kegger

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I had a thought about the Standard transmission. Since the Elio is such a small vehicle, I've already read that they'll be using a Single clutch, but is there any word on whether that means a dry clutch and a flywheel not suspended in oil, or are they going to do a wet clutch with multiple small clutch plates suspended in oil like that of my motorcycle?

I'm fine with either one, but I was just curious.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a thought about the Standard transmission. Since the Elio is such a small vehicle, I've already read that they'll be using a Single clutch, but is there any word on whether that means a dry clutch and a flywheel not suspended in oil, or are they going to do a wet clutch with multiple small clutch plates suspended in oil like that of my motorcycle?

I'm fine with either one, but I was just curious.

EM is using a standard automotive dry clutch connected to an existing off-the-shelf 5-speed manual transmission made by Aisin. The automatic is an AMT (automated manual transmission) kit which bolts onto the same manual transmission and automates the operation of the clutch and gear changes.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
EM is using a standard automotive dry clutch connected to an existing off-the-shelf 5-speed manual transmission made by Aisin. The automatic is an AMT (automated manual transmission) kit which bolts onto the same manual transmission and automates the operation of the clutch and gear changes.

I've seen it written both ways .... 1) the Elio will come off the line with either the automatic or manual transmission as was ordered .... 2) it will roll off with the straight drive and the AMT components will be installed along with the other ordered options .... with the high anticipated percentage of AMT's it would seem more efficient to me to have it installed on the assembly line .... have you heard either way

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen it written both ways .... 1) the Elio will come off the line with either the automatic or manual transmission as was ordered .... 2) it will roll off with the straight drive and the AMT components will be installed along with the other ordered options .... with the high anticipated percentage of AMT's it would seem more efficient to me to have it installed on the assembly line .... have you heard either way

Jim

What we have been told is that only 14 vehicle variations will roll off the actual assembly line. All vehicles will be exactly the same off the line with the only differences being the 7 color choices x 2 transmissions choices. :)

I do wonder if EM will offer kits to change your transmission type after the sale. That would really make this the vehicle you can have any way you want at any time. :D

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What we have been told is that only 14 vehicle variations will roll off the actual assembly line. All vehicles will be exactly the same off the line with the only differences being the 7 color choices x 2 transmissions choices. :)

I do wonder if EM will offer kits to change your transmission type after the sale. That would really make this the vehicle you can have any way you want at any time. :D

10-4 it makes much for sense to have it come off the line with the ordered transmission in place .... in the hypothetical arena : wouldn't you expect the AMT to have fewer clutch issues than the manual transmission

Jim

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I get 200,000 or more miles on a clutch, and my 20 year old son is still going strong on his at 138,000 miles. I'll take the clutch ,throwout bearing, master and slave cyl in exchange for all the electronical stuff + the clutch components !
There is more to change than just adding a valve pack to the manual, PRNDL switch,shifter , clutch brake interlock switches, clutch pedal and??? Not something to undertake lightly.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have the paddle shifters on my sports edition Nissan Maxima with the CVT transmission.
Having had nothing to do with a Nissan, ever, I have a question. Is it actually an AMT or a true CVT? Paddles make no sense on a CVT, as there are no gears. CVT after all stands for Continously Variable Transmission - think overgrown snowmobile drive system (very much simplified from an automotive cvt, but the same mechanical theory).

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do you mean to tell me, this an automatic clutched manual transmission? Not a true automatic transmission, with a torque converter and valve body? I know nothing about such a beast, with the possible exception of the 70's VW autostick that was a piece of crap.

Top Bottom