• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? The Gas Cap Has A Real Unmodifiable Reason To Be On The Wrong Side?

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There once was a man called Elio,
Who had a peculiar feelio,
About saving gas,
So he got off his a$$,
And designed transport with only three wheelio.

With apologies to the late Stanley Unwin (and any other person whose name may have inadvertently been mentioned in the making of that rhyme).

Here is Stanley Unwin, with highly relevant advice about buying a car...

Last edited:

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There once was a man called Elio,
Who had a peculiar feelio,
About saving gas,
So he got off his a$$,
And designed transport with only three wheelio.

With apologies to the late Stanley Unwin (and any other person whose name may have inadvertently been mentioned in the making of that rhyme).

Here is Stanley Unwin, with highly relevant advice about buying a car...

Wheaters,
You could be a 'Legend in your own Rhime'.lol
BTW, Thank Elvis for the book. I'm still reading/looking tru it.

corvairbob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
just to keep this going. it is fast second to the dash i like the cap one the wrong side. some have stated it is a safety item. i did notice on an earlier model it was on the wrong side? depends on your perspective i guess. but if you happen to pull up on the wrong side of the pump which i have done before, (most hoses just will not reach). i don't want to drag the hose over the finish. so i hope i can remember! my wife says i suffer from crs. or as we call it oldtimers

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have one vehicle with the cap on the right and one on the left, so I always have to go through the argument in my mind on where the cap is. My kid showed me most newer cars have indicators on the gas guage (An arrow or the pump is on a side) to indicate which side the cap is on..... That has saved me numerous embarrassments at the filing stations, especially when I am driving a rental.

corvairbob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
do want to impress some of your friends? and maybe make a few bets to the ones who have not figured this one out. make a game out of guessing which side the gas cap is on the cars as you drive down the road? 99% will be on the opposite side of the tail pipe. i don't have a reason but on other forums they maintain it is because of safety at the pumps in case of a backfire the exhaust is a ways from the pump. i don't think because of the cat would stop the sparks but there is a reason. but on duals it is a 50/50 guess. trucks are mostly the same as cars.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't know what type of car you drive but most tail pipes now exit the rear. I will acknowledge that pickups generally have side exhaust pipes

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't know what type of car you drive but most tail pipes now exit the rear. I will acknowledge that pickups generally have side exhaust pipes

My little car used to have a side exhaust but it often put out a big bang and a yellow flame on the over-run and scared my passenger half to death! So I had a full length system made instead. It's on the opposite side of the centre-line to the filler cap, although that's also on the rear of the car, rather than the side. It's stainless steel, not polka dot pink.

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My little car used to have a side exhaust but it often put out a big bang and a yellow flame on the over-run and scared my passenger half to death! So I had a full length system made instead. It's on the opposite side of the centre-line to the filler cap, although that's also on the rear of the car, rather than the side. It's stainless steel, not polka dot pink.
:( Sniff. I am so-o-o-o-o disappointed. I liked the idea of polka dot pink, Sniff. :rolleyes: :) Z

Top Bottom