• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Scared About The Automatic Transmission

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Really? What kind of car is that in? I've driven automatics for some time now (like 47+ years) and have never seen that.

That is because you have been driving cars with real automatic transmissions not AMT ones that are really manual transmissions with a computer operating the clutch. Many cars are using AMTs now and they will roll backwards on a hill when you take your foot off the brake just like a manual one will unless they have this feature.

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ohhh, them furrin cars. I don'ts drive them furrin jobs, I drive merican cars. :usa2:
Yeah, my Subaru was made in Indiana. And although the Fiat was made in Mexico, in the same factory as the Dodge Journey and Jeep Patriot, the engine is made in Michigan.

Don't get me wrong, though... I doesn't really bother me where my cars are made. I just want a certain car, and they rarely tend to be from the big three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So, people will have to have to put their left foot on the break and then step on the gas with their right. Most people who drive a real automatic will not do that. I know that other car companies use a sensor to detect an incline and then keep the brake applied for 2-3 seconds after you take your foot off the brake so you are on the gas when the brake is let off.
I've almost NEVER stopped on a hill steep enough to have to use my left foot for the brake.
Except when I'm was riding side-saddle on one of my V-stars of course.

Last edited:

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have almost NEVER stopped on a hill steep enough to have to use my left foot for the brake.
Except when I'm was riding side-saddle on one of my V-stars of course.

You would not have to with a normal automatic, where I live now people hardly leave any space behind you at a light. I think it is because most people have never driven a manual.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I once saw a line drawing of an AMT and it showed a manual transmission with a box bolted on top of it, with mechanical levers to the clutch and shifting levers. $1050 seems very expensive for a box with 3 motor/solenoids and a processor.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I once saw a line drawing of an AMT and it showed a manual transmission with a box bolted on top of it, with mechanical levers to the clutch and shifting levers. $1050 seems very expensive for a box with 3 motor/solenoids and a processor.
I have one and know how it works... you have WAY over simplified it.
$1050 seems reasonable to me !

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have one and know how it works... you have WAY over simplified it.
$1050 seems reasonable to me !
You have one? Fantastic! Finally I find someone with one.

What make and model is it in?

When depressing the throttle to pass a vehicle, does it down shift 2 gears?

Thanks.

Top Bottom