• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Reservations: 65341 As Of 6/20/2017

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did anyone notice in the Elio Advertisement email that went out this evening that it indicates 34,000+ reservation holders? The website still has the 33k from 9-1, It appears if that is correct the reservations haven't are still coming in at a slower but still descent clip. That is definitely a good thing!
What Elio Advertisement email? :-) Z

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ty, you were there, right? With the H3's I assume the "line" was quite long, that there were many stations. With the Elio being so much "simpler", would it be possible to run two shorter lines "end-to-end"? instead of side-by-side ".....In series instead of parallel?
I was there before the hummer. We made S-10s and Isuzu Hombres... but, the line hasn't changed much. There are more advanced autonomous machines to improve accuracy but, the length and such would still be the same. There wouldn't be much of a way to change where the line went. About your question, the simple answer is no. Frame welding is still frame welding, transacted installation is still transacted installation. Where they COULD make a change... and follow me here... is to run the line faster. Take a work station like steering column installation for instance it takes (a made up number that would be close to 54 seconds) about 54 seconds to do this operation. Now, if you ran the line at 54 seconds, that operation would only be able to take 54 seconds but it would also take up a certain number of feet on the line. Say the station was 20' long. Anyway, if you ran the line faster, the vehicle would travel further than the given 20' while you performed your operation. You can't do that. You'd be in the next station trying to finish. You can't really make a 54 second job take less time. So, how do you get more production from that one line?

Here's the answer. In order to keep the line e moving at the right place, one vehicle enters your station every 54 seconds. You have that amount of time to finish your install and prep for the next vehicle which is 20' behind the one you just finished. Now, I'm in charge... I'm shortening the distance between vehicles from 20' to 10'. "What?" you say, "I won't be done with the first vehicle and there is already another one in my station. What gives?" Well, I'll assign two teams (or single people depending on the complexity of the station. In your case, I'll just give you another person). 27 seconds after you start your vehicle, the 2nd person starts the next one. You'd effectively build every other steering column. An Elio would come off the line every 27 seconds. Actually, because of the number of parts needed at the line to do this, the line would have to be slowed down just a bit to take into account the slightly longer distance people would have to travel to get parts.

This would require all the handling equipment to be doubled. However, it would allow the main line that carries the vehicles (pulls, actually) to be left alone. There would just be a lot more cars on it.

I hope that is clear and more than that, helpful.

You were right in that I was there. My job as an industrial engineer was officially as a material line balance engineer. My job was to figure out how to get the right parts in the right quantity to the line at the right time. What I ended up spending most of my time doing was working on individual work stations making sure they were balanced to 52 seconds. They ran the line at 54 seconds but we had to make sure each job took less than 52 seconds so the line never had to stop. Now, most stations were much under that but even the ones that were at 52 seconds were easily done faster by experienced operators. We had GM standard tables of operations that we had to use... reaching for a washer, 24" away, outside of normal vision (12" diameter at 24" for instance) takes .xxx seconds... we used these tables to set standard times. It was important, of course. People tended to make their job seem more complicated than it was whenever the "efficiency guys" were around.

I hope that helps. I'm sorry if I bored you but it's stuck in your brain now! I'm more than willing to answer any questions and I promise to try to keep the answers shorter than this.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was there before the hummer. We made S-10s and Isuzu Hombres... but, the line hasn't changed much. There are more advanced autonomous machines to improve accuracy but, the length and such would still be the same. There wouldn't be much of a way to change where the line went. About your question, the simple answer is no. Frame welding is still frame welding, transacted installation is still transacted installation. Where they COULD make a change... and follow me here... is to run the line faster. Take a work station like steering column installation for instance it takes (a made up number that would be close to 54 seconds) about 54 seconds to do this operation. Now, if you ran the line at 54 seconds, that operation would only be able to take 54 seconds but it would also take up a certain number of feet on the line. Say the station was 20' long. Anyway, if you ran the line faster, the vehicle would travel further than the given 20' while you performed your operation. You can't do that. You'd be in the next station trying to finish. You can't really make a 54 second job take less time. So, how do you get more production from that one line?

Here's the answer. In order to keep the line e moving at the right place, one vehicle enters your station every 54 seconds. You have that amount of time to finish your install and prep for the next vehicle which is 20' behind the one you just finished. Now, I'm in charge... I'm shortening the distance between vehicles from 20' to 10'. "What?" you say, "I won't be done with the first vehicle and there is already another one in my station. What gives?" Well, I'll assign two teams (or single people depending on the complexity of the station. In your case, I'll just give you another person). 27 seconds after you start your vehicle, the 2nd person starts the next one. You'd effectively build every other steering column. An Elio would come off the line every 27 seconds. Actually, because of the number of parts needed at the line to do this, the line would have to be slowed down just a bit to take into account the slightly longer distance people would have to travel to get parts.

This would require all the handling equipment to be doubled. However, it would allow the main line that carries the vehicles (pulls, actually) to be left alone. There would just be a lot more cars on it.

I hope that is clear and more than that, helpful.

You were right in that I was there. My job as an industrial engineer was officially as a material line balance engineer. My job was to figure out how to get the right parts in the right quantity to the line at the right time. What I ended up spending most of my time doing was working on individual work stations making sure they were balanced to 52 seconds. They ran the line at 54 seconds but we had to make sure each job took less than 52 seconds so the line never had to stop. Now, most stations were much under that but even the ones that were at 52 seconds were easily done faster by experienced operators. We had GM standard tables of operations that we had to use... reaching for a washer, 24" away, outside of normal vision (12" diameter at 24" for instance) takes .xxx seconds... we used these tables to set standard times. It was important, of course. People tended to make their job seem more complicated than it was whenever the "efficiency guys" were around.

I hope that helps. I'm sorry if I bored you but it's stuck in your brain now! I'm more than willing to answer any questions and I promise to try to keep the answers shorter than this.

Very interesting. thanks for that insight. :)

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I got it in my email at 7:32pm ct. It had a web browser link here it is:http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=4267fe47b6&e=f9db73d324

Typical ad but it does say 34k+
I definitely didn't get it. Nice ad. Thanks for sharing. :) Z
I signed up for EM's "monthly news letter" at the bottom of the their webpage using two different email addresses: the one with which I made my all-in reservation and another one. I have noticed that some promotional materials (usually warning about the end of the 50% bonus! etc.) are not sent to my reservation email - only the one that is not associated with a reservation. That is why some do not see emails such as the one mentioned.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I definitely didn't get it. Nice ad. Thanks for sharing. :) Z

Did you notice that the add says something about having more than 34,000 reservations? It's only 4 days since the site said "33,226 reservations"
So, does that mean they've picked up at least another 774 or 193.5 per day? Or, does it mean that the website is behind the actual numbers because they just can't input the information fast enough any more? Inquisitive minds want to know.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am very interested in finding out how much of the current spike in reservation is due to the end of the 50% bonus and how much is due to more publicity (the AP article, etc). Most of the people I have seen on here (though a small portion of the overall population of reservationists) were already in at a smaller amount and decided to upgrade to the $1000 before the bonus ended. Not sure how many people went from $0 to $1000 based on that.

Top Bottom