• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Other Technologies That Will Need To Adapt

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with PE that this was the right move financially. I also believe that it is a safety issue for the owner who runs out of gas on a busy roadway (except for Wheaters, et. al.)

Running out of gas is potentially dangerous on UK roads, irrespective of which door you get out of!

The one and only time I ran out of gas (petrol) was in the early 1990s, driving a recently purchased Dutton Phaeton which didn't have a fuel gauge. The only warning was a slight misfire and a "Bababap!" noise from the exhaust on the over-run. You had about three hundred yards after that. I carried a spare fuel can and I was on my way again in less than five minutes.

Btw, That car had no doors at all!

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Reminds me of an old Candid Camera episode, back when glass enclosed phone booths were the norm. They put a "mens" and "ladies" sign on the top of two adjacent booths and started filming. People would stand in line, rather than use the available booth. I see the same thing going on with port-o-potties which are also unisex.

"When they were passing out brains, I thought they said drains, so I asked for a big, empty one."

I agree with PE that this was the right move financially. I also believe that it is a safety issue for the owner who runs out of gas on a busy roadway (except for Wheaters, et. al.)

Much like goofy1 experience at the Costco gas station, I was at a drive thru bank. A single driveway fed into three of more tube stations, when I reached the end of the driveway I waited to see which station would become empty first. Some 'helpful' person a couple cars back started started yelling for me to chose a feeder lane. I asked why, he was less than pleased, he said that was what I was supposed to do!!! I asked where he had gotten his book of rules for the drive thru, as I had not gotten mine when I opened my account. Needless to say it didn't get better, luckily this was before the time of road rage shootings. I don't think I would act the same today, maybe they wouldn't either. Fun with strangers!

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is why I'd prefer a run flat tire on the rear wheel, if not on all three. However, once there are hundreds of thousands of Elio's on the roads, the tires will become standard....presumably Pep Boys will keep them in stock. Says he, hopefully. :cool:

Wheaters, you're a racer so this will hit home if you think about it. ;)

Run flat technology has some real inherent drawbacks. The extremely rigid sidewall construction makes adhesion somewhat of an all or none proposition. On any unstable surface, ie water, snow, ice, oil and even sand they can break loose very suddenly and cause immediate loss of control. Sidewall flex provided by normal profile tires result in much a more forgiving and predictable contact patch and maintenance of vehicle control. Run flats In cold weather, you best not venture out at all. The marked additional un-sprung weight will drastically effect performance and fuel economy. Three run flats could weigh near 15% of the total weight of a 1500lb Elio. They are hard riding, noisy, enormously expensive and difficult to find in stock. Oh and by the way drive on them for more than a fraction of the100 mile range they brag about and their totally ruined.

Yea, I know BMW swears by run flats, but they've spent millions developing a suspension specifically designed around them. BMW owners trade before they need new tires anyway. Besides, we all know how them Germans love reinventing the wheel. By the by, my last name is Durst, so I can say anything I want about "Krauts" and it's not profiling.

IMHO, If run flat tires or the current rage of 20" plus wheels and 2" profile tires were such great ideas, why do you suppose that F1, Nascar, Indy Car and other sanctioning bodies won't go near them?

Dusty

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Much like goofy1 experience at the Costco gas station, I was at a drive thru bank. A single driveway fed into three of more tube stations, when I reached the end of the driveway I waited to see which station would become empty first. Some 'helpful' person a couple cars back started started yelling for me to chose a feeder lane. I asked why, he was less than pleased, he said that was what I was supposed to do!!! I asked where he had gotten his book of rules for the drive thru, as I had not gotten mine when I opened my account. Needless to say it didn't get better, luckily this was before the time of road rage shootings. I don't think I would act the same today, maybe they wouldn't either. Fun with strangers!

I knew there was a reason I liked you, just love to stir the pot, don't you. ;)

Top Bottom