• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Carpet? Really?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I think this is a good idea ... with the understanding that it's buyer beware if you don't like the real-world results, because very, very few of us have truly professionally calibrated monitors in luminance and color stable environments!

If they did this with the advice, "most accurate when viewed at a monitor set to 2.2 gamma and 5,000 K, luminance 90/cd2" they would feel better... and so would we.

While I do agree that giving us the electronic values for the Elio colors would help, I still think physical paint chips would be the way to go. Print all 7 of them on a single 8x10 enamel card stock sheet with a gloss spot varnish, and send 'em to us for $2.00. I'd pay up in a shot.

The reason paint coupons or chips are better than online values is that the chips and our cars are both reflective surfaces. Transmissive light sources like our monitors are very, very different animals, no matter how they are calibrated. (this is the subject of a scholarly article I'm publishing this fall, and is not BS).
Good idea. But there was a company once that was doing material samples that would send you a good sized book of samples for a $50 "deposit" if you kept the sample book, they would bill you $50 and put your deposit towards it.
If you returned it, and didn't buy anything, they would refund $45
If you bought material from them; they would give you the full deposit back once they got their sample book back if your order was under $xxx.00 amount of dollars; or let you keep the sample book, and put the full $50 towards your order , but it had to be over $x,xxx.00 of dollars.

Lumber liquidators lets you take samples home, and gives you 20 days to return them or get charged (they take your CC # when you take the samples)

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All the normal car dealers out there have colorful brochures with very accurate slick paint chips usually about 1 inch by 1 inch and a quarter or little smaller. And you know darn well they don't cost that much to produce. Anyway it's worth investigating and I'll certainly put the idea forward.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think this is a good idea ... with the understanding that it's buyer beware if you don't like the real-world results, because very, very few of us have truly professionally calibrated monitors in luminance and color stable environments!

If they did this with the advice, "most accurate when viewed at a monitor set to 2.2 gamma and 5,000 K, luminance 90/cd2" they would feel better... and so would we.

While I do agree that giving us the electronic values for the Elio colors would help, I still think physical paint chips would be the way to go. Print all 7 of them on a single 8x10 enamel card stock sheet with a gloss spot varnish, and send 'em to us for $2.00. I'd pay up in a shot.

The reason paint coupons or chips are better than online values is that the chips and our cars are both reflective surfaces. Transmissive light sources like our monitors are very, very different animals, no matter how they are calibrated. (this is the subject of a scholarly article I'm publishing this fall, and is not BS).
Haven't we learned by now that many people never pay attention to the asterisks and expect what they want or blame the company anyway.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mine was late in the model year.
Couldn't get manual windows, stick shift, and they didn't understand why I didn't want crew cab (only extended), had to have window tint as dealer option, also Ranch Hand grill guard.
Manual windows are great for getting good elevation for long shots.
...which is illegal in MOST states. Though, the bipod I bought in Montana many moons ago came with a window mount for my rifle... go figure. The law there says you have to be out of the vehicle and either across the ditch or over the fence before "hunting"... Luckily, you didn't have to be very far over the fence. :rolleyes:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't tell many of the colors apart, I am color blind and need to see it in the sun and in real life to get the true picture. It sucks having to pick from a 1/4" sq. With no name. If this is their plan I am doomed.
We can help... there has to be a nice shade of Yellow in there... :rolleyes:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

There's another option though. As an example, when I was painting a car in Montana, I went to a PPG, I believe, to get the paint. They had books there with pretty much every color from every car. They were about one inch squares throughout the books with the corresponding identification number. If we had the system and the numbers, we could wander down and check out actual paint samples.

Reactions: Ekh

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...which is illegal in MOST states. Though, the bipod I bought in Montana many moons ago came with a window mount for my rifle... go figure. The law there says you have to be out of the vehicle and either across the ditch or over the fence before "hunting"... Luckily, you didn't have to be very far over the fence. :rolleyes:

You must be hunting on "public land".
Another one of those "fair chase" folks.
When you are on 5,000 or 10,000 acre ranches in hunting states it's a whole different story.
Those mounts are also great for cameras when you suffer from benign tremors.

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All the normal car dealers out there have colorful brochures with very accurate slick paint chips usually about 1 inch by 1 inch and a quarter or little smaller. And you know darn well they don't cost that much to produce. Anyway it's worth investigating and I'll certainly put the idea forward.

I'd love to see a paint chip of the Creamsicle. I've asked for a paint code a couple of times but got no response. I have a frankenbike project that might look in Creamsicle.

Top Bottom