• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Carpet? Really?

TMOSteel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK so originally this was going to be titled "Too Many Options" having just read the latest Elio "Yes, More Elio Accessories" email because I'm thinking they've got too many options now and its just becoming silly (removable radio? who's brilliant idea was that?).

Yes I know the pullout radio isn't "new" but I think its stupid just the same. I think the HUD could be the device I want as it says it connects to smartphones for GPS which is sweet, seems a much better option than that ridiculous and overpriced Skyz system.

So to get to the point as I played with the configurator I got down to Interior and saw under Carpeting "No Carpet" is the default option? Really? Did I miss something all this time? $7K and I don't get a carpet? What, does Elio think this is an old Jeep or something?

Somebody help me, please.

TMOSteel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you live in the nort' like I do, you'd probably replace it with all weather rubber mats.

Not as North as you (Long Island) but I use all weather mats as well, always preferred them to carpet ones which tend to get trashed from the slush and snow in winter, dirt year 'round, and my heavy heel as well.

But I likes my carpet underneath them, so Elio not including one still puzzles me. Whats the stock floor then, bare or painted metal?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Painted metal, if we go by the 3D model in the configurator. Personally, I think I'm gonna just buy one of those heavy-duty rubber mat+carpets that get used as entry mats in commercial buildings. One of those, cut to fit, will make a perfectly fine carpet, and will have the added bonus of remove-ability for cleaning.
royale-usage-lg.jpg

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So to get to the point as I played with the configurator I got down to Interior and saw under Carpeting "No Carpet" is the default option? Really? Did I miss something all this time? $7K and I don't get a carpet? What, does Elio think this is an old Jeep or something?

Somebody help me, please.

If you went out today and bought a 2016 Kawasaki KLR650 the MSRP would be $6600. You would get 1 less wheel, 2 fewer pistons, 52 mpg, and no carpet*. If Elio pulls this off for $7300 it's a steal. I, for one, will get carpet primary for its sound deadening characteristics.

*I'm not knocking the KLR650. I have a 2008 (essentially the same as a 2016) and I love the thing for its brick-sh__house simplicity.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not as North as you (Long Island) but I use all weather mats as well, always preferred them to carpet ones which tend to get trashed from the slush and snow in winter, dirt year 'round, and my heavy heel as well.

But I likes my carpet underneath them, so Elio not including one still puzzles me. Whats the stock floor then, bare or painted metal?
Plastic. The passenger compartment is a one-piece plastic tub. I don't recall how far forward it extends, though.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to order the carpet primarily so the rear passenger compartment looks better. I'll then put a rubber mat in the driver's compartment. I think leaving carpet out is tacky on Elio's part, but it's that cost target thing.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
$7K and I don't get a carpet?

LMAO, and which other new $7k vehicles include carpet? How about $10k? None. You have to go to twice the price at $14k in the US for the cheapest subcompacts to get carpet by default. And it is just a $78 option.

I do think it is an odd decision to not include it by default, but this means I get to choose the color. Something I have not been able to do in any of my car purchases to date.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LMAO, and which other new $7k vehicles include carpet? How about $10k? None. You have to go to twice the price at $14k in the US for the cheapest subcompacts to get carpet by default. And it is just a $78 option.

I do think it is an odd decision to not include it by default, but this means I get to choose the color. Something I have not been able to do in any of my car purchases to date.
Good point about the color. Though, I wonder how they'll pull this one off. They basically won't be able to do final assembly at the plant as far as the seat is concerned either. I had thought there would be a stock seat installed at the plant that would be switched out by those who wanted to upgrade the seat... let's call it 30% of the people want a different seat. No problem, 30% of Elios would have their seat unbolted at the marshaling center and a new seat installed there... Well, now, they'll have to unbolt EVERY seat AND seatbelt (depending how the lap portion is anchored) to install carpet as I'd be willing to bet that MOST people will want carpet.

So now, I'm thinking the marshaling center will be installing EVERY seat and that Elios that leave the factory won't have a seat at all. THAT is the only way it makes sense to me as it would be silly to design a process that required disassembly on nearly every model sold.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good point about the color. Well, now, they'll have to unbolt EVERY seat AND seatbelt (depending how the lap portion is anchored) to install carpet as I'd be willing to bet that MOST people will want carpet.

So now, I'm thinking the marshaling center will be installing EVERY seat and that Elios that leave the factory won't have a seat at all. THAT is the only way it makes sense to me as it would be silly to design a process that required disassembly on nearly every model sold.
You're not marshalling very well. Before your auto cycle ever enters the assembly line your individual tastes will be implemented at each and every assembly station relevant to your choices. Are you sure you're not a politician or something?

Top Bottom