• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey Mark... got a question for you (or any of you other builders).

I have a basic idea how metal is worked. I understand a bit about fiberglass, molds, etc and how they can play a part in building prototypes. One thing I've wondered about, is how will you get a windshield or back glass to fit a customized vehicle like this project? Does a glass manufacurer have the ability to make a one off to fit a prototype?

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Because the roll cage is partially welded in, it's has enabled me to hang the doors of it and release the rear door from it's welded tabs.

rear door 1.jpg

And playing with the cabin arrangements, there is more room than I anticipated for the taller and wider guys who were concerned.

cab 2.jpg

One thing I've wondered about, is how will you get a windshield or back glass to fit a customized vehicle like this project? Does a glass manufacurer have the ability to make a one off to fit a prototype?

Pilkington Glass have been making one offs and low volume for decades, all around the World.

Me, I'll just make one from sheetmetal, laser cutting the shape and the forming curves so the glass place has a sample to work from.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Because the roll cage is partially welded in, it's has enabled me to hang the doors of it and release the rear door from it's welded tabs.

View attachment 24587

And playing with the cabin arrangements, there is more room than I anticipated for the taller and wider guys who were concerned.

View attachment 24586

Pilkington Glass have been making one offs and low volume for decades, all around the World.

Me, I'll just make one from sheetmetal, laser cutting the shape and the forming curves so the glass place has a sample to work from.
Looking great. Love the opposite doors. Just occurred to me, if you place an item in the backseat - you might have to walk around the vehicle to retrieve it. Then again... it’s just a couple of steps to get to the other side and back door. The benefits of that door opening to the curb outweighs any minor inconvenience.

Thanks for the explanation about the glass. I figured you had a plan. I was unaware of Pilkington Glass.

.... and it’s great to hear this vehicle should have even more room than the Elio. I sat in the orange a couple of times and it was quite comfortable. I look forward to driving around in your roomier vehicle. People will be surprised as to how much room they’ll have in your ride.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looking great. Love the opposite doors. Just occurred to me, if you place an item in the backseat - you might have to walk around the vehicle to retrieve it. .

Which in my mind is better than standing on the traffic side getting stuff in and out.

The whole 'Odd Door', as I call it, came about because of just one person mentioning that they were concerned about their grand-children having to get into the Elio on the traffic side.

Another advantage is that if it tips onto it's side, or is hit and a door is jammed closed, there is a door on the other side to get out.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

much appreciated as while I'm certainly not one of the taller guys, I'm most certainly one of the wider ones :D

have you considered a tilt steering column (if not standard, as an option) for those of us who it would assist in getting in and out; as well as, being able to adjust the steering wheel's position

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The whole 'Odd Door', as I call it, came about because of just one person mentioning that they were concerned about their grand-children having to get into the Elio on the traffic side..

so far, your 'Odd Door' concept is the most positive improvement in the basic design .... in our various trips to Elio shows across the country, my wife finally reached the point she was willing to get into the rear seat .... for her it felt claustrophobic and she didn't like not being able to get out quickly .... without question, we would have bought an Elio but for us it would have been a one person vehicle

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
have you considered a tilt steering column (if not standard, as an option) for those of us who it would assist in getting in and out; as well as, being able to adjust the steering wheel's position

The question is these days can you even buy a steering column that doesn't have tilt function, so the answer to your question is no problem.

It's telescoping that they don't all have, but it's actually quite easy to have that adjustment, albeit it manually adjusted with a spanner to move the entire assembly along elongated mounting holes. Most steering shaft splines have an inch or 2 allowance in them for production assembly variations. So you just do it the first time to suit the main driver.

.. and yes, I have done that a number of times in builds, you can see the slots on these lasered steering colomn brackets, and the steering column mounted - note the red arrows, loosen the bolts and the steering shaft clamp, and slide it in or out to suit ....

slots 1.jpg

slots 2.jpg

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The question is these days can you even buy a steering column that doesn't have tilt function, so the answer to your question is no problem.

It's telescoping that they don't all have,

good to hear about the availability of tilt steering .... my wife is a good bit shorter than I am .... we can usually both figure out a seat adjustment that works for us in vehicles with tilt steering .... having a telescoping steering column is handy for us but isn't an necessity

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
so far, your 'Odd Door' concept is the most positive improvement in the basic design .... in our various trips to Elio shows across the country, my wife finally reached the point she was willing to get into the rear seat .... for her it felt claustrophobic and she didn't like not being able to get out quickly .... without question, we would have bought an Elio but for us it would have been a one person vehicle

"your 'Odd Door' concept is the most positive improvement in the basic design"......

Yes, absolutely! My wife also felt the same way. A kid or younger person crawling over the front seat to get into the back is not so bad. It's a little tougher for older folks to get in and out over a seat.

....AND, there's definitely a safety benefit with the "Odd Door" arrangement. I remember back in the day, many followers of the Elio were genuinely concerned about the vehicle having only one door and possibly being trapped in a wreck. The Odd Door feature should remove that fear. A simple stroke of genius ;) that makes the vehicle much safer and easier to enter and exit. Very unique too!

Top Bottom