• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
People keep asking about which engine, well still not definite yet, but the Toyota KR1-FE is sitting on top at the moment. 1.0, 3 cylinder, 70hp, super lightweight and millions sold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_KR_engine

It generally gets between 50 and 60 mpg in the small sedans it is fitted too, and top speed over 90 mph. It is the intent that an Elio style tandem should be an improvement on these figures of course.

Specs for a local car it's fitted to:

Displacement:1.0
Transmission:five-speed manual
Horsepower @ RPM:67 @ 6000
MPG(Hwy):56
Torque @ RPM:66 @ 4000
Top Speed:93.8 mph

There is a semi-automated 5 speed gearbox available for them. It is a manual gearbox, but can do everything itself, and manual operation can be selected as well. You can read more info on that in this link:

https://realworlddrive.wordpress.com/.../driving-the-byd.../

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very ironic that those specs are very very close to the spec. in my 2001 Honda insight. A VERY reliable engine. But in real life I am closer to the KR1-FET engine with the addition of the turbo I installed, back in 2003.
Looking good.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very ironic that those specs are very very close to the spec. in my 2001 Honda insight. A VERY reliable engine. But in real life I am closer to the KR1-FET engine with the addition of the turbo I installed, back in 2003.
Looking good.
Just curious... did you consider the Insight “peppy” enough? I suspect you did?

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was at the time. I did it because a fellow said "It couldn't be done". (John Wayland of EV fame) Now I can play with the "big boys" and still get good MPG's. 457,000 miles and with a lifetime average MPG of 58.2, running with the flow of traffic.

Last edited:

Josh

Elio Fan
Reaction score
W. Willie, any chance you would be willing to post pixs of your turbo install? I find the first generation Honda Insight to be superb in its design, fit, economy and overall high quality. I believe that so much that I bought 4 Honda Insights over the last couple of years to experiment with and possibly use the aluminum chassis'/power trains for other builds. I always achieve 60+ MPG with the 5-speed models, much less with the autos. Naturally I drive conservatively. No one is rocketing around in a 3-cylinder automobile of perhaps 60hp.

The only thing I think is lacking (understandably) is the performance is poor, (in my opinion). 3-cylinders and 1.0 liter of displacement has its limitations. Of course I never owned a new Insight so I don't have any way to compare that performance against used Insights. These Gen 1's were built for outstanding fuel economy and they absolutely deliver. A turbo would be an interesting addition. Plenty of cheap generic Chinese turbos of appropriate low boost (5 psi perhaps) available for the ATV market.

I personally am concentrating my efforts on building up a Lithium Ion battery pack to replace the no longer available OEM battery back. Batteries are one of the weak links on the Gen 1 Insights. As there are now available "snap-together" plastic kits to build up battery packs using the 3.7V cell that can be series and paralleled in virtually any combination and since Lithium Ion batteries are widely available, lighter and withstand repeated charge/discharge cycles better, to me that would yield the most bang for the buck. Still a turbo would be another avenue to explore.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All your questions can be answered at the "Insight" forum here:
Honda Insight Forum

A direct link to MY turbo build can be found in my avatar. (direct link below) Several turbo builds have been done on ICN, but mine was the first.............. back in 2003.

Top Bottom