• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Peppy engine! I'm impressed.

Well the point was to show that it will have some go.

Entering a Freeway or Highway isn't fun if you can't get up to speed in a reasonable fashion, can be dangerous even.

With the narrow car's smaller frontal area with likely better aero than a hatchback, and hopefully lighter weight, acceleration over 50 mph, where aero really starts to matter, should be quite acceptable.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you can keep the weight around 1500 lbs, you will be OK on acceleration with the 1L engine.
Looking good.
I agree with your comment on the dash setup. Also needed is a fuel gauge, a coolant temperature gauge, and a battery gauge.
Stick with gauges, idiot lights are too slow acting.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
those motors have sure come a long way since the late 80's when we bought a Chevy Sprint .... it was made by Suzuki and is the only vehicle with a 3 cylinder, 1L engine that we've owned .... it had a 5 speed and is the only vehicle with a manual transmission that we've owned my wife had no problems driving .... it had surprising pep and got great mileage .... biggest disappointment was around 95,000 miles she started guzzling motor oil .... something had to have broken because we literally had to add oil every time we took on fuel .... I'm curious, how many miles/kilometers does the Yota have on it

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
.... I'm curious, how many miles/kilometers does the Yota have on it

Dunno, didn't look! Don't even know what year model it is, I just wanted it for the parts resource. I won't know either for some time until the instruments are powered up again either, that's one issue with digital.
Oh, it might be written on the transfer papers or sales docket, I'll look tomorrow.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh, mileage might be written on the transfer papers or sales docket, I'll look tomorrow.

Couldn't find the mileage.

Just a boring day of carefully pulling things apart, and labeling everything so I can put it back together
1f642.png

Hate under the dash work, besides the maze of wiring, years of fine dust collects.

dashboard 1.jpg

dashboard.jpg

DikiJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Finally got the little car back to the shop this afternoon ...

and a few hours later ..
View attachment 24604
I think I saw a tractor pulling a trailer at the 26 sec mark in the video. Where are you that people drive tractors on the streets. Could be around here. (Louisiana). I am rally enjoying the progress posts for your autocycle. I want one.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think I saw a tractor pulling a trailer at the 26 sec mark in the video. Where are you that people drive tractors on the streets. Could be around here. (Louisiana).

I'm an Australian living in Asia. Where I was at the start of the video, to my right is a steel sales yard, those tractors run in and out all day long taking lengths of tube, beams etc to customers.
Very convenient for me as my factory is just a few hundred yards away.

tip of my cap .... I could take it apart but that would end it .... no way I could ever put it back together ;)

What I hate is how quickly you can pull things apart, but how long it takes to put it back together ...

Top Bottom