• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mirrors And Other "cheap" Stuff

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
my smart started out with out about 15 items it now has. Some things I modded and then went back to stock. it is all part of the fun of the car. As I suspect the Elio will be...

Amen brother! It's going to be the Swiss Army Knife of transportation...except everyone gets to pick which widgets they want (toothpick and bottle opener for sure!).

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Does such a law specify it HAS to be on the outside of the vehicle? A mirror on the back of each wheel fairing might actually work pretty well, and have no aerodynamic impact.
Have you ever tried looking at a fender mounted mirror? I have and they vibrate so badly you can't make out what is behind or beside you.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Gotcha! Guess I should've scrolled back a couple of pages before I threw in my 2.5 cents.

Okay, granted, the Elio is not a fighter jet, yet fighter jets have rearview/sideview mirrors. They're in an arc pattern (one center, one on either side) inside of the canopy. I wonder if "Johnny Law" would allow such a configuration in an Elio, possibly mounted on the A pillars. They'd still have functional sideview mirrors (skip the center one, unless you like checking yourself out while you're driving), but they'd be out of the airstream, easily adjustable, and out of the weather (no icing). Just throwing it against the wall to see if it sticks. o_O
That just might be the solution to all the potential mirror issues all in one jet fighter inspired design. what could be cooler than that? The designers should seriously look at that idea.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That just might be the solution to all the potential mirror issues all in one jet fighter inspired design. what could be cooler than that? The designers should seriously look at that idea.

You know what? I'm going to check with my brother-in-law, he's a Franklin County Sheriff, to see if he knows about any "no-no's" about that type of configuration. Gotta keep the hostile bogeys [a.k.a. - everyone else on the road] off your 6!

Joe Coppinger

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok just had this crazy thought but wondered about the rear view mirrors. I thought about style, shape, and location.

Eventually I thought I'd like the rear view mirrors on the fenders with something of the retro classic kind of feel. Something with the late 30's to early 40's feel...

Has anyone thought simular thoughts ??

For me, I want my Elio to be different. I want an exterior feel of simplicity and refined excellance of years gone by and the interior of a refined statemans, combined with a "zippy" (turbo) drivetrain.

I have the muscle cars for my ego, now I just want to be "unique" or as my kids call me "Mr. E" (for eccentric)

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok just had this crazy thought but wondered about the rear view mirrors. I thought about style, shape, and location.

Eventually I thought I'd like the rear view mirrors on the fenders with something of the retro classic kind of feel. Something with the late 30's to early 40's feel...

Has anyone thought simular thoughts ??

For me, I want my Elio to be different. I want an exterior feel of simplicity and refined excellance of years gone by and the interior of a refined statemans, combined with a "zippy" (turbo) drivetrain.

I have the muscle cars for my ego, now I just want to be "unique" or as my kids call me "Mr. E" (for eccentric)
The image from mirrors on the fairings will be useless due to the vibration.

Top Bottom