• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mirrors And Other "cheap" Stuff

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For all of you who have not had the opportunity to sit in the Elio I think your concerns about mirrors are unnecessary. Remember you are sitting in the middle with equal distance to each mirror. Furthermore both windows roll down and you can simply manually adjust both mirrors from the drivers seat without difficulty. While internally adjusted mirrors are convenient, IMHO, the costs don't justify them. I believe that more often than not there will be one primary driver and constant readjustment of the mirrors will be unnecessary. When my wife decides to drive it she is certainly capable of manually adjusting the mirrors to suit her driving needs.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Simple = reliable
Simple = affordable
Simple = repairable
Keep It Simple.

I would rather have manual, outside adjustable mirrors of better quality that won't fail into uselessness.
Whatever 6-way remote-adjustable, power-folding, heated, air-conditioned, auto-zooming, blind-spot warning, magic-wish-granting, capacino-making mirrors they've come out with will just be more broken techno-crap that I'll end up having to fix and/or duct-tape into at least functioning as, oh I dunno...a MIRROR.
Quality is doing what it's supposed to do, efficiently, year after year. "Build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door." That doesn't necessarily mean a mouse trap that sends you a text message when it's caught one.
Quality simplicity will outshine every time.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Fortunately, unlike many of us on the outside looking in, it appears that Paul Elio and his team are very focused on "KISS". At the same time Elio Motors is encouraging its suppliers, and others, to make a wide range of options and accessories available through both official and unofficial channels. This is really the best of both worlds as those people who want a reliably simple vehicle will have that option pretty much by default and those who desire a whole assortment of gadgets and accessories will also have all they need to make them happy Elio owners.:)

This setup is a win-win-win situation where buyers are happy to have vehicles customized to fit their own individual preferences, Elio Motors is happy to sell, and profit from, both the vehicles and accessories, and EM's suppliers also get to provide both basic items and premium item which generally also have premium profit margins.:eek::D

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fortunately, unlike many of us on the outside looking in, it appears that Paul Elio and his team are very focused on "KISS". At the same time Elio Motors is encouraging its suppliers, and others, to make a wide range of options and accessories available through both official and unofficial channels. This is really the best of both worlds as those people who want a reliably simple vehicle will have that option pretty much by default and those who desire a whole assortment of gadgets and accessories will also have all they need to make them happy Elio owners.:)

This setup is a win-win-win situation where buyers are happy to have vehicles customized to fit their own individual preferences, Elio Motors is happy to sell, and profit from, both the vehicles and accessories, and EM's suppliers also get to provide both basic items and premium item which generally also have premium profit margins.:eek::D
You are 100% right on the money! This is an AWESOME buisness model and the so-called experts predicting Elio's failure are the same clueless suits who gave us the current state of over-priced, cookie-cutter, nothing new automotive stagnation we've had for decades. Even a base-model buyer today can be a future upgrade customer, not so with traditional car sales plans.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mirrors? I'm going to take the mirrors off mine and install cameras.
Mirrors are so 20th century. :D
I like the idea, but I think rear view mirrors are required by law on both autos, cycles, and autocycles. But thanks to Tesla........those laws could be changing in the near future.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mirrors? I'm going to take the mirrors off mine and install cameras.
Mirrors are so 20th century. :D
Maybe not legal, but aerodynamic. I'm thinking about stripping one down and see if I can be the first to hit 100mpg with an ELIO. If someone don't beat me to it.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I knew that vehicle manufacturers have standards set by the federal government governing mirror size, placement, and reflectivity of mirrors however I did not know what standards were set by states for mirrors. It turns out that most states have very basic mirror laws only requiring at least one mirror on motorcycles and two on cars, including one left side mirror, and just about every state has a statement like this one: Every motor vehicle, operated singly or when towing another vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such motor vehicle.

What I would do when replacing full sized side mirrors with cameras is include a small mirror in a position close to the body that also still gives rear visibility of at least 200 feet. This way you get most of the aerodynamic benefits while also meeting the letter of the law.

Top Bottom