• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mirrors And Other "cheap" Stuff

c0yote

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok just had this crazy thought but wondered about the rear view mirrors. I thought about style, shape, and location.

Eventually I thought I'd like the rear view mirrors on the fenders with something of the retro classic kind of feel. Something with the late 30's to early 40's feel...

Has anyone thought simular thoughts ??

For me, I want my Elio to be different. I want an exterior feel of simplicity and refined excellance of years gone by and the interior of a refined statemans, combined with a "zippy" (turbo) drivetrain.

I have the muscle cars for my ego, now I just want to be "unique" or as my kids call me "Mr. E" (for eccentric)
The fenders will move with the wheels in a turn, one fender-mounted mirror will show the side of your Elio, the other will either show you what's happening a few lanes across from you or you'll be looking at the front/side of the mirror. For anyone wanting to customize the mirrors, I did find this guide for each state's requirements http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/Mirror_Laws_by_State_(U.S.)

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok just had this crazy thought but wondered about the rear view mirrors. I thought about style, shape, and location.

Eventually I thought I'd like the rear view mirrors on the fenders with something of the retro classic kind of feel. Something with the late 30's to early 40's feel...

Has anyone thought simular thoughts ??

For me, I want my Elio to be different. I want an exterior feel of simplicity and refined excellance of years gone by and the interior of a refined statemans, combined with a "zippy" (turbo) drivetrain.

I have the muscle cars for my ego, now I just want to be "unique" or as my kids call me "Mr. E" (for eccentric)
Actually there is a pretty long thread on this topic. Using the forum search function will quickly direct you to the topics of your interest.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The fenders will move with the wheels in a turn, one fender-mounted mirror will show the side of your Elio, the other will either show you what's happening a few lanes across from you or you'll be looking at the front/side of the mirror. For anyone wanting to customize the mirrors, I did find this guide for each state's requirements http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/Mirror_Laws_by_State_(U.S.)

Great find c0yote! Copy/paste from my state's requirements:

Missouri
"Mirrors: All motor vehicles which are so constructed or loaded that the operator cannot see the road behind such vehicle by looking back or around the side of such vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror so adjusted as to reveal the road behind and be visible from the operator's seat.
So I interpret this as, you don't need any mirrors at all as long as you can look out the rear window or stick your head out the side window and look backwards. "

My favorite part in bold print. Might be hope for my 'inside the cockpit' style mirrors yet! Now if I just had my Elio...!

Joe Coppinger

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score

My thought was when I'm going straight then I get what's behind me, however whenever I turn (in any vehicle) I'm not looking into the the mirrors I'm looking into the turn cause that's the direction the car is going... Since the Elio is classified as a motorcycle the turn shouldn't be an issue cause the motorcycle mirrors turn based on their location...

That was my thought - I just thought it was a given..

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In some pics I've seen of the interior it looks like there is a pigeon hole down by the driver's right knee.
That's fine for my "ship's papers", insurance, registration, etc, although technology has moved a Bible and study materials to my smartphone - just like my maps. However, as I prefer a "cavalry draw", I'd want my gun on the left. Maybe a door pocket (holster)? ;)

I'm considering a plastic pouch to carry most of my glove compartment stuff, tire gauge, Leatherman tool, owner's manual, FRS radios, binoculars, etc. I used to get nice pouches at trade shows, but now everybody is furnishing big canvas "shopping bags". . . guess I'll have to break down and buy a zippered pouch to hold the overflow alongside the right-hand side of the front seat. On our beatervan there's a drawer under the passenger seat that will hold a LOT of the stuff we often carry - maybe someone will build one that will slide (and latch) under the front seat of the Elio. Aftermarket suppliers, are you listening? :)

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking, would removing the side mirrors and replacing them with rear view cameras built into the doors, would that cut down on the wind drag in that area, which would get the Elio even better mpg? or at least a better wind drag ratio in that area?

Or would removing the side mirrors have no effect, on the wind drag ratio of the Elio?

The early model of the VW LT1 had side mirrors and they changed them over to cameras, which got them a better gas mpg, because of the better wind drag ratio...

But one (1) VW LT 1 which only 200 are going to be made, and they costs about 28-29 Elio's, so if you got a lot of cash, get one of the $200,000, VW LT1's which gets about 265 mpg, so you can save a little gas money... it has no guts... 0-60... 13 seconds.... not my kind of car...

Proud to be a .... Elio owner... soon!

Removing side mirrors will reduce aerodynamic drag about 7% by my prior calculations, and net drag by ~1.5-2.5% (depends on driving cycle)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Removing side mirrors will reduce aerodynamic drag about 7% by my prior calculations, and net drag by ~1.5-2.5% (depends on driving cycle)

on an Elio, what mileage increase could one reasonably expect to gain by such a reduction in drag

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's fine for my "ship's papers", insurance, registration, etc, although technology has moved a Bible and study materials to my smartphone - just like my maps. However, as I prefer a "cavalry draw", I'd want my gun on the left. Maybe a door pocket (holster)? ;)

I'm considering a plastic pouch to carry most of my glove compartment stuff, tire gauge, Leatherman tool, owner's manual, FRS radios, binoculars, etc. I used to get nice pouches at trade shows, but now everybody is furnishing big canvas "shopping bags". . . guess I'll have to break down and buy a zippered pouch to hold the overflow alongside the right-hand side of the front seat. On our beatervan there's a drawer under the passenger seat that will hold a LOT of the stuff we often carry - maybe someone will build one that will slide (and latch) under the front seat of the Elio. Aftermarket suppliers, are you listening? :)
Maybe something above the windshield? That would be easy to access. I'm not sure why you'd need something locking to hold your weapon. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a weapon at the ready?

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't want to put anything that heavy or solid as an ACP over my head - where we might get together in a crash. I'm thinking about something holstered "backwards" (butt forward) on the door, about waist level, where I can cross-draw if needed. I probably won't carry at all . . . the odd-looking vehicle with a cheap price tag, "low" performance and a 5-spd is probably all the "protection" I need from thieves. ;)

Top Bottom