• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Manufacturing Rate

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, Ty, how long does it take to assemble an engine, assuming a line (or series of stations, or whatever) is all set up to do it? Surely it will take a while to start assembling engines quickly enough to feed the rest of the line. I have no sense at all of how these things work, of what's realistic. Care to comment?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

That was a great video!
Things I noticed; untouched by human hands until it comes out of the first weld process; then when it did get to assembly where humans are involved, how much the line slowed down. Just the whole process was amazing.

I wonder how many cameras they went through?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, Ty, how long does it take to assemble an engine, assuming a line (or series of stations, or whatever) is all set up to do it? Surely it will take a while to start assembling engines quickly enough to feed the rest of the line. I have no sense at all of how these things work, of what's realistic. Care to comment?
Sure. I can honestly say I have no idea. But, I know how they'll do it.

First, here are some things we DO know.
1. They'll have to produce 1 engine every 54 seconds (or whatever the line speed is) but I bet they produce a bit faster to have some spares on hand.

2. Elio will not be casting the parts but will be machining and assembling them.

3. Assembly is very straight forward and can EASILY be set up to only require one line.

4. Machining blocks, flame spray, cylinder honing, etc. will take longer.

For sake of explaining, let's say the slowest operation is honing the cylinders and let's say it takes 216 seconds to hone each block. That means hey'll have to have 4 stations honing cylinders o produce one every 54 seconds. I used notional data but regardless, they can just add machines to each step till that step can produce fast enough. The assembly line portion is easy enough and the learning curve for each station is not steep. He guy who puts the alternator on probably doesn't have to be trained very long.

At GM, hey didn't slow the line just to train a new guy. They had the area supervisor teach them while at full speed. There weren't any difficult to learn jobs. It really won't take long.

Last edited:

Gizmo

Elio Addict
Reaction score

1. They'll have to produce 1 engine every 54 seconds (or whatever the line speed is) but I bet they produce a bit faster to have some spares on hand.

2. Elio will not be casting the parts but will be machining and assembling them.

3. Assembly is very straight forward and can EASILY be set up to only require one line.

For sake of explaining, let's say the slowest operation is honing the cylinders and let's say it takes 216 seconds to hone each block. That means hey'll have to have 4 stations honing cylinders o produce one every 54 seconds. I used notional data but regardless, they can just add machines to each step till that step can produce fast enough. The assembly line portion is easy enough and the learning curve for each station is not steep. He guy who puts the alternator on probably doesn't have to be trained very long.

At GM, hey didn't slow the line just to train a new guy. Hey had the area supervisor teach them while at full speed. There weren't any difficult to learn jobs. It really won't take long.
*runs out and check driveway* Damn. It's not here yet....too long! :p

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Probably 6 months ago I figured the head alone would need over a hundred separate machining operations. With modern computerized milling and boring machines, robots and such I don't know how many operations can be done simultaneously but it's still a lot work that has to be done. After all the machining the heads will need to be heated and the valve guides and seats (pre-chilled in liquid nitrogen) pressed in. One head every 54 seconds will be a challenge.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Probably 6 months ago I figured the head alone would need over a hundred separate machining operations. With modern computerized milling and boring machines, robots and such I don't know how many operations can be done simultaneously but it's still a lot work that has to be done. After all the machining the heads will need to be heated and the valve guides and seats (pre-chilled in liquid nitrogen) pressed in. One head every 54 seconds will be a challenge.
If it takes 10 minutes to machine one block, they'll just have to have 11 stations machining blocks... but, it won't take that long. But even if it did, it isn't unheard of to have a bunch of machines doing the slowest operation to keep the faster operations fed.

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score

At GM, hey didn't slow the line just to train a new guy. Hey had the area supervisor teach them while at full speed. There weren't any difficult to learn jobs. It really won't take long.
Can I buy you a T (hey)?

Top Bottom