• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Lets Help Em Find $500.

ternion

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with CheryIM, their tour costs are minuscule compared to their costs to plan, lease, design, build, hire, train, stock, & manage for 60 retail centers across the country. Consider that, then bump up the price for the 2nd year.

Further, I'd say they are pretty thin on the parts they can outright remove, simply because of what they have already promised their customers. For those parts they have not yet set contracted pricing, they can maybe source for a better price, or build in attractive variable pricing based on high parts volume.

Also, I don't know how they can be so sure their number is $500 unless they have their assembly line perfectly mapped out with precise stations, tasks, head counts, and wages/benefits from start to finish; I just don't see that as very likely at this point. Assembly costs aren't too much cheaper than the cost for the parts; there may yet be room to optimize the line and make up that $500.

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lost sleep last night thinking about the A/C. Completely understand and agree that in some climates that A/C is an essential.

But a number of climates are OK without A/C. A basic transportation vehicle does not require A/C, its a 'nice to have' and remember how many vehicles in the past never had A/C.

Personally, I have a 40 year old basic small car that does not have A/C and never came with it from the factory. Would not want it either because of the power loss and neither do most of the other 20,000 owners of similar cars (Porsche 914 2.0L). Anyone considered the effects of what the A/C will do to the Elio performance and gas mileage? It could turn an already under powered vehicle into a dog. Say goodbye to 84/49 mpg, probably 20% less. You think 55 hp is slow off the line, how about what is effectively 40hp? If the Elio gets a reputation for being a dog, then goodbye to its popularity.

What if the Elio was designed to accommodate an A/C system, that could be added easily by PepBoyz or others as an option? The A/C is not a complex system, its a few bolt on hardware items, some wired controls, 2 refrigerant lines, and pressure charging the refrigerant lines. If the Elio was designed and set-up to accept this package system so it was a simple bolt on process, it could be considered optional, and we could reach the pricing goal, maybe even reduce the initial cost below $6,800.

So there you have it, a $6,800 vehicle, A/C if you want/need it, no A/C if you don't, no worries.

the a/c discussed is electrical powered
i would NOT own a vehicle without a/c

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While I still think this is a very valuable post and conversation the best direction would be to minimize cost without removing any of the original marketed features or compromising the vehicles safety or reliability. For Elio, anything that was stated as standard (AC, radio, 2 seats, seat belts??) needs to remain on track or I would only guess there would be a line of slimy lawyers lined up to refund buyers that view this as a breach of contract. The price however was noted as assumed from day one. I don't think anyone here wants them to dumb down or devalue the concept just in the name of getting it done. Especially since all we are really talking about here is wether we do or do not loose the Free bonus they gave us anyway. In my view the only thing that slightly back fired on Elio was calculating the budget to include the $500 marketing bonus. Otherwise it appears they are on track.

lawyers for what ??
the "NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSITS" ARE NOT IN ANY WAY A CONTRACT TO BUILD ANYTHING, REMEMBER ?
WE ALL JUST GAVE "PAUL THE PREACHER" OR MONIES ON FAITH !

I BELIEVE HE WILL MAKE THIS HAPPEN, BUT IT WILL NOT MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY ..
THE GOAL WAS UNREALISTIC, AND HONESTLY DECEPTIVE …
PEOPLE REALLY EXPECT TO ONLY PAY $6800. AND GET 84 MPG
NO WAY JOSE '

it is still REALLY COOL !!
ALL I WANT IS YELLOW !!

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder what it would do to the cost as well as the marketability of this vehicle if they eliminated the 2nd seat all together...

REMOVE THE REAR SEAT. MILK CRATES ARE CHEEP !
this is suppose to be a one-person COMMUTER VEHICLE , RIGHT ??
MY DOGS DO NOT NEED A SEAT !

20140920_131846.jpg

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
REMOVE THE REAR SEAT. MILK CRATES ARE CHEEP !
this is suppose to be a one-person COMMUTER VEHICLE , RIGHT ??
MY DOGS DO NOT NEED A SEAT !

View attachment 4185
This would certainly change some things for me.
My plan is to drive this every day to work and pick up my son at school before going home. If it had no rear seat, I'd have to stop by the house and get a different vehicle. Not a deal breaker, but not as convenient either.

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lost sleep last night thinking about the A/C. Completely understand and agree that in some climates that A/C is an essential.

But a number of climates are OK without A/C. A basic transportation vehicle does not require A/C, its a 'nice to have' and remember how many vehicles in the past never had A/C.

Personally, I have a 40 year old basic small car that does not have A/C and never came with it from the factory. Would not want it either because of the power loss and neither do most of the other 20,000 owners of similar cars (Porsche 914 2.0L). Anyone considered the effects of what the A/C will do to the Elio performance and gas mileage? It could turn an already under powered vehicle into a dog. Say goodbye to 84/49 mpg, probably 20% less. You think 55 hp is slow off the line, how about what is effectively 40hp? If the Elio gets a reputation for being a dog, then goodbye to its popularity.

What if the Elio was designed to accommodate an A/C system, that could be added easily by PepBoyz or others as an option? The A/C is not a complex system, its a few bolt on hardware items, some wired controls, 2 refrigerant lines, and pressure charging the refrigerant lines. If the Elio was designed and set-up to accept this package system so it was a simple bolt on process, it could be considered optional, and we could reach the pricing goal, maybe even reduce the initial cost below $6,800.

So there you have it, a $6,800 vehicle, A/C if you want/need it, no A/C if you don't, no worries.

HOW QUICKLY WE FORGET CLIMATE CHANGE AND EVERY YEAR NEW HEAT RECORDS BEING SET !
ASK THIS SAME QUESTION NEXT JULY …

A/C OR NO A/C ?

NO A/C ?
NO WAY !

HONESTLY WHY DO WE BOTHER POSTING THIS, HAVE YOU EVER HAD ANY FEEDBACK FORM ELIO ?

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Many climates do need A/C, but some climates do not. Make A/C available as an optional add on for those that need it/want it to make the $6800 price point, but do not require it for all.

WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS SCREAMING AT PEOPLE?

Top Bottom