• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Lets Help Em Find $500.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
EM tells us that they are about $500 away from their $6,800 milestone at this point. This last $500 is the hardest to find in in any project budget. $500 is about 7.4% of the total cost of the Elio.

Considering what is known of the P4, what are some ideas to help them reach that sales price goal and not compromise the four Must Haves?

Remember when cars and trucks were simple and basic, only the essentials? That's the inspiration. Think of that basic 60's VW beetle, American truck or coupe.

My some potential considerations, make these optional:

-Lose the radio
-Lose the rear seat pad and seatbelt
-Lose the carpeting, provide simple rubber floor covering
-Lose the upholstered interior side and door panels, provide simple solid door cards only
-Lose the A/C

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
EM tells us that they are about $500 away from their $6,800 milestone at this point. This last $500 is the hardest to find in in any project budget. $500 is about 7.4% of the total cost of the Elio.

Considering what is known of the P4, what are some ideas to help them reach that sales price goal and not compromise the four Must Haves?

Remember when cars and trucks were simple and basic, only the essentials? That's the inspiration. Think of that basic 60's VW beetle, American truck or coupe.

-Lose the radio
-Lose the upholstered interior side and door panels, provide simple solid door cards only
-Lose the A/C
I will pay the extra 500$ i dont care

The sad part is that except for the A/C you are looking at savings of under $100 for the rest of that stuff as none of that is expensive in volume or to install. By far the most expensive single item on that list is the standard AM/FM radio and speakers and it is my understanding that at volume prices this costs a whopping total of about $40 installed. This is not hard to believe when anyone can go on Amazon and by a cheap stereo and two cheap speakers for that price, or less, at retail. The sadder part is that because of volume discounts the $40 EM spends actually buys them a much better system.

As for cutting out the AC this would actually raise costs because assembly line variation adds cost. The reason why A/C is standard is that EM knows that 90%+ of buyers will opt for it and this is a complex install so this must be done on the assembly line. However at a rate of less than 10% the A/C build variance would actually cost EM more money than simply installing A/C in every vehicle and not having this variance.

So if EM were to follow this list as written it would likely actually raise the cost of the vehicle. :cool:

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
I agree, I would rather pay $500 more and keep the items you mentioned (especially the seat items and seatbelts).
Take out the radio, ok, I probably would have upgraded it right off.
Rubber mats. ehhhhhh I would rather have carpet.
Door panels I planed on redoing anyway so just the hardboard panel is fine.
Give up A/C? NO WAY!

Coss

Staff member
EM where did you get your information from? You said "EM tells us ..." who is us?

Reactions: Ekh

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Is there enough sound dampening material to listen to the radio over the road noise? There isn't much room for an amp and subs anyway! I say get rid of the speakers and have a jack for ear buds. May be there could be a simple MP3, phone dock or similar dock that we could buy as an option... or the radio. Don't make the radio a standard. Just have the wiring for the options to be installed later.

The appearance is important to me external and internal. If it looks cheap, it will be perceived as such. This may (I think will) affect sells after the initial deliveries.

I think Elio could have little add-on accessories that they could make up the difference. Like customize striping or reflective custom design bling for safety and looks. Don't cheap out the Elio!

evboy

Elio Addict

-Lose the radio
-Lose the A/C
lose the seat belt. are you crazy. thats alot of deaths. im fine paying extra 500. no biggie. good luck selling your car in the resale market with no seatbelts. I would cancel the purchase w/o a seatbelt. PE would be crucified. his big selling point is safety and now the car has no seatbelts.

Last edited: