• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Just Wow!!!

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I forget the final price $7000, perhaps $7100 that those of us $1000 all in reservation holders got when we executed a binding agreement to purchase. (Not to count the reservation bonus which in my case is $500.) Would this not protect our price?
I purchased May 2014 "All In" locked in at 7K, have two bonus at $500 and another at $200. The other $200 was given to those who where "All In" before June 2014 I believe, but should be checked for a grand total $700 for options. I can with-hold delivery one year after the first vehicle comes off the line if I want.

webartist

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I purchased May 2014 "All In" locked in at 7K, have two bonus at $500 and another at $200. The other $200 was given to those who where "All In" before June 2014 I believe, but should be checked for a grand total $700 for options. I can with-hold delivery one year after the first vehicle comes off the line if I want.
But did you also digitally sign a binding commitment to purchase that was offered in 2017 I believe it was? That agreement was suppose to lock in our price for those who did so.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they double the HP, then they may also have to enlarge the exhaust and muffler. What bothers me most is that they were expecting to invest another $124,000,000.00 in engineering for their own design. I thought the engine was mostly developed and only needed tuning. Maybe better valves or something. I'm guessing that the prototype was nowhere near working the way they wanted.

A third party drivetrain may or may not include the transaxle. I also wonder if Elio will supply the engine computer or if it will come from the third party. If from the third party, and the engine was designed for a "car", then maybe the OBDC (On Board Diagnostics Computer) will have a bunch of requirements to function properly. This may complicate things for the home mechanic. If a third party OBDC is used, would Elio still need another computer for the rest of the vehicle?

The really good thing about them using a third party is that it opens the door to a future electric drivetrain too. (After prices have dropped).

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A third party drivetrain may or may not include the transaxle. I also wonder if Elio will supply the engine computer or if it will come from the third party. If from the third party, and the engine was designed for a "car", then maybe the OBDC (On Board Diagnostics Computer) will have a bunch of requirements to function properly. This may complicate things for the home mechanic. If a third party OBDC is used, would Elio still need another computer for the rest of the vehicle?

The really good thing about them using a third party is that it opens the door to a future electric drivetrain too. (After prices have dropped).

I bet they designed it from the get-go with an OBD2 port. It has all of the same components that a car does but with one less wheel, it would be silly to not use an off-the-shelf ECU that would already have OBD2 support.

I would also bet that whoever supplies the motor will also supply the ECU. Like the LFX V6 or LS3 V8 Miata swap I am saving pennies away for, you use the ECU that came with the new motor originally instead of trying to adapt something.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I bet they designed it from the get-go with an OBD2 port. It has all of the same components that a car does but with one less wheel, it would be silly to not use an off-the-shelf ECU that would already have OBD2 support.

I would also bet that whoever supplies the motor will also supply the ECU. Like the LFX V6 or LS3 V8 Miata swap I am saving pennies away for, you use the ECU that came with the new motor originally instead of trying to adapt something.
They were already using an off the shelf ECU. It's a Continental and many cars already use them. It just gets programmed for the particular engine and then to communicate via CAN to the rest of the components on the car (i.e. ABS unit). Most cars today run a Bosch, Siemens or Continental ECU. When it comes to ECU communication via OBDII port, it's through the K-Line and CAN.

Also, if you are going to run an LS motor, then just buy an off the shelf unit and forget about the stock ECU. Holley and FAST literally make bolt on systems for whatever LS motor you want. You plug the system on an LS motor and all it needs is 12V constant and 12V switched power. It only needs to hook up to the fuel pump and the motor will literally start the first time. I helped a friend of mine who built a hot rod and put in an LS6. He bought the FAST unit and I hooked it up. I was amazed how easy it was and much easier than monkeying around with a stock ECU.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Also, if you are going to run an LS motor, then just buy an off the shelf unit and forget about the stock ECU. Holley and FAST literally make bolt on systems for whatever LS motor you want. You plug the system on an LS motor and all it needs is 12V constant and 12V switched power. It only needs to hook up to the fuel pump and the motor will literally start the first time. I helped a friend of mine who built a hot rod and put in an LS6. He bought the FAST unit and I hooked it up. I was amazed how easy it was and much easier than monkeying around with a stock ECU.

When the day comes a couple years from now I can make that decision. Using a crate motor I would still be looking between $25,000 - $40,000 for the swap depending on how much of the work I want to do myself. I know of several successful LSX swaps into NC Miatas from the m.net forums and they used the stock ECU and Flyin' Miata ECU tune.

Now, maybe Elio can help me get there faster when the stock moons? Yeah! :D

Top Bottom