• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is There Any Physical And Substantial Progress Towards Production Of The Elio?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A big problem I see with the opinion you have expressed is that you do not have a good understanding of what Elio Motors has been doing since 2008. As with many start-ups Elio Motors has not had a straight path to get here but instead has had many ups and downs and some dead ends along the way so while you are trying to look at Elio Motors as one continuously flowing ongoing project since 2008 what you really need to understand is that what you see today is not the same plan and vehicle which existed even five years ago.

The evolution of Elio Motors so far can be broken down into four stages:

1. Paul Elio uses $5 million of his own money and his engineering firm to develop his vehicle idea into the basis for the viable product. This includes building the P1 in 2008 and finding investors interested in backing the project.

2. Elio Motors production plan 1.0 began in 2009 with EM applying for funding via the original ATVM program. In 2010 the P2 was released and Elio Motors was working towards securing a closed GM plant in Pontiac, MI to build their vehicle then named "Trikke". After EM failed to win over community support for the project and were also forced to withdraw their ATVM loan application, when it became apparent that program was a dead end at that time due to issues with program, EM was forced to abandon this 1.0 plan.

3. Elio Motors transitional period from 2010-2012. This is the period Paul Elio has been quoted several times as saying was the most challenging of the entire project so far as EM had failed in their first attempt yet had to find funding to continue on. During this time the entire business plan was re-evaluated and the vehicle was re-engineered from the ground up including replacing engine design firm McLaren Performance/Linamar with IAV on a new engine designed specifically for this vehicle.

4. Elio Motors production plan 2.0 goes public in January of 2013 with the release of the completely re-engineered P3 prototype and plan to secure the former GM assembly plant Shreveport, LA. Reservations are accepted for the first time at this time. Work also continues on the new chassis design which eventually results in the P4 a year later in January 2014.
Due to outside interference in the process of leasing the plant, lawsuit and state officials involvement, Elio Motors suffers an eight month delay (Sept 2013-May 2014) in actually having a signed lease on the plant. This delay causes the funding deals EM had lined up to complete the vehicle development and enter production to collapse thus leaving them with limited funding which slows the vehicle development process considerably. However during this time gap Elio Motors is fortunate enough to have the undersecretary of the Department of Energy see and sit in the P4 and this initiates a series of conversations which leads to EM being invited to apply for the revamped ATVM loan program. Along with that EM comes up with a plan to pay for the engine and vehicle development program by selling off the unneeded equipment in the Shreveport plant. This plan allows EM to hopefully enter production without the need for additional outside investors however that option is still available as a backup plan.
Goofyone,

Thank you for this enlightening report. It truly sets things into perspective.

Under "Stage 4", you said there was an eight month delay due to "outside interference". If this has a direct one-to-one time correlation, then we would be having Elios coming off the production line today, (assuming 3rd quarter 2015 is still their current projection. Eight months back from 3rd quarter 2015 would be today. Perhaps those blaming EM for delays should put their blame elsewhere.

I have always wondered why they changed from McLaren Performance/Linamar to IAV. Do you know why?

Also, do you know if it was it McLaren Performance/Linamar who came up with the 84/49 MPG estimate.

Once again, thanks.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mr Elio has been quoted (in the last year) as indicating that 18 to 30 test mules will be necessary to provide for pre-production validation testing...but the actual number seems to be a moving target...
Duu

There is no actual number because "18 to 30" is a range of numbers, not an actual number.

Really!

Are you deliberately trying to find something to complain about?

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
images2J0WDH40.jpg
Did you mean this?

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you...Elio certainly needs to be more transparent with regards to on going R&D progress...it's an obligation they have to their existing customer base...based on your 2013 deposit time frame...2 to 3 years is a long time for you to be patient...

If there are any further delays...Elio Motors reputation might be at risk...
Yes, another delay would be harmful. But not nearly as harmful as a defective product. Having customer complaints or having to do recalls because they put out a product that was rushed to market before it should have been just because of pressure to get out a product.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
EXCELLENT ARTICLE …

Thank You !!

em
Goofyone,

Thank you for this enlightening report. It truly sets things into perspective.

Under "Stage 4", you said there was an eight month delay due to "outside interference". If this has a direct one-to-one time correlation, then we would be having Elios coming off the production line today, (assuming 3rd quarter 2015 is still their current projection. Eight months back from 3rd quarter 2015 would be today. Perhaps those blaming EM for delays should put their blame elsewhere.

I have always wondered why they changed from McLaren Performance/Linamar to IAV. Do you know why?

Also, do you know if it was it McLaren Performance/Linamar who came up with the 84/49 MPG estimate.

Once again, thanks.

I am glad you liked it. I am in the process of saving all the source material for that information as well and eventually do hope to write the story out complete with references.

In May of 2014, in the weeks after the plant was secured, the production estimate was indeed changed from the 1st quarter of 2015 to the 3rd quarter of 2015 which pretty much matches the time period of the delay. Of course as I mentioned there were also financial complications for EM caused by the delay in securing the plant. To me this means that if EM really is able to limit the damage caused by that delay to only about 8-9 months and enter production this year it should actually be viewed as quite an amazing job of keeping the entire company on track.

The change from Mclaren/Linamar to IAV and where the numbers came from are actually some very good questions that I do not have the answers to just yet. I am however currently working on a plan to try and get some answers from someone who would have them. We will see if I can manage to actually get something interesting to work out soon.

By the way have I mentioned that some unrelated business is taking me to Phoenix for about two weeks this month? ;):D

Last edited:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
snipped: Additionally...you consider the Elio Vehicle as more akin to a motorcycle...but Mr Elio has as promised a 5 Star saftey rating...so I view the engineering complexity to be closer to an automobile...

I would characterize Elio's position as that of a covered three wheel motorcycle
held to automotive technical & qualitative standards.................:)

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: I am glad you liked it. I am in the process of saving all the source material for that information as well and eventually do hope to write the story out complete with references.

I'm sure Arilea can put you in touch with Elvis Payne (A-Z Book)/& or
his publisher.........You could have 40K pre-orders.................I'd buy one.
PS: Jerome are you listening??? :)
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXceZ986ePJWPQCho9iH9V7rtP35yyc9w-7RsRxd6T0_TTXd6Alw.jpg

Last edited:

TexasElio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Duu

There is no actual number because "18 to 30" is a range of numbers, not an actual number.

Really!

Are you deliberately trying to find something to complain about?

I appreciate your input!

Intelligenza ... o la mancanza di essa ... è facile da identificare ...

Top Bottom