• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Friday's The Big Day ... Or Is It?

How long will the engine run during the official "first start" ceremony?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Everyone replaces the factory exhaust system on their HD. What do the motorcycle shops do with them? Seems like there would be a lot.
At first, I took 'em home, only to realize they shared the same value as the box they came in- valueless- just wound-up throwing them in the recycling bin,- then just left them-the dealer might have a salvage guy.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At first, I took 'em home, only to realize they shared the same value as the box they came in- valueless- just wound-up throwing them in the recycling bin,- then just left them-the dealer might have a salvage guy.

I like your comment "only to realize they shared the same value as the box they came in"

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
sounds like they should just make bikes sans exhaust
yep- many give the B.S. excuse it's a safety thing- the noise alerts others, but truth be told it's the unique sound of power and "wild ones"- Check it out- next time you're along side one at a stoplight, sometime before the light changes, he/she will rev the engine- ahhhh just to "feel the sound"

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
yep- many give the B.S. excuse it's a safety thing- the noise alerts others, but truth be told it's the unique sound of power and "wild ones"- Check it out- next time you're along side one at a stoplight, sometime before the light changes, he/she will rev the engine- ahhhh just to "feel the sound"

I remember while on a "Poker Run" around the Finger Lakes back while I was still riding we pulled into a stop and the guy who had been riding next to me commented it was nice riding there 'cause I had stock pipes. His bike had shot guns.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I was a kid I owned a '68 Sportster XLCH. Hard core, kick start with no battery. Blipping the throttle at red lights was just the normal way to ride. Not really to "feel the power"(well maybe just a little) but because if it dropped back to an idle all the lights would go out and someone would bunt you into the next county.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True. It is addictive!

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Many now keep stock exhaust pipes and headers to reinstall if needed. I have two sets of stock headers and pipes in the bike room left over.
One for the current touring bike and one for the one I totaled. My replacement pipes are not loud. Loud does not make them run better. Just makes you think it does. I prefer the Super trap type, tunable and a different sound.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Tunable exhausts are the way to do it. Nearly all modern car and motorcycle engines are specifically tuned to work with their included exhaust systems. As a result replacing these stock systems can sometimes have unintended consequences. If an engine is tuned to work with a certain amount of back pressure from the exhaust there is the counter-intuitive possibility that performance could drop by using a more free flowing exhaust. :eek:

Top Bottom